MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ZVEX Instant Lo-Fi Junky
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author ZVEX Instant Lo-Fi Junky
Liddlepud
I keep watching youtube demos of the ZVEX Instant Lo-Fi Junky and like the sound but can only find one using a synth.

Does anyone have any opinions when using them with synths? They're £200 in the UK which is a lot to spend on an impulse buy.
indexofmetals
they are fantastic little boxes (like most stuff from Zvex). I will try and remember to post a link to soemthing I did with pair of them and an SH-5. if they were cheaper I'd want several more.
Liddlepud
I wish you hadn't said that, it's only increasing my gas.

I'd love to hear the demo with the SH5.
indexofmetals
I should be able to do it from tomorrow. please pm me to remind me if it isn't posted here by mid week.
Kingnimrod
there's one in this video, but it quickly gets buried/mangled in other pedals.

my experience is that it likes guitars best - seems to be voiced for guitar. Otherwise there's a volume drop. I may put my keymaster in between to see if that mitigates it.

but overall as a warped-sound maker it's nice.
sascha.victoria
I have the lofi loop junky and love it. I would describe the sound as instant Boards of Canada.
Kirk Markarian
I own one - it a MAJOR part of my setup. I record to multi-track cassette, then I record that through the Instant Lo-Fi Junky into another cassette recorder.

I like it better than Boards of Canada. It isn't as crisp. It has more noise and better warble. Of course, that is my opinion.

Here, all my music is ran through it. In the first two tracks, I am running a Moog Minitaur and Leploop through it (on cassette first, of course) and a cassette loop of the Minitaur is running as well, on one of the tracks.

http://soundcloud.com/deuterostome
Liddlepud
Thanks for the examples. I'm going to order one.
Kirk Markarian
Liddlepud wrote:
Thanks for the examples. I'm going to order one.

No problem! I hope you enjoy it!
ettubaby
I believe they stop making the LJ, the nos audio chip is not available anymore. Which was originally made for phone answering machines.
Kirk Markarian
ettubaby wrote:
I believe they stop making the LJ, the nos audio chip is not available anymore. Which was originally made for phone answering machines.

They don't make them anymore, but it's still for sale at a lot of places, because it's not for everybody.

I used to own that one - I liked it a lot, but I don't always want to loop something, and the audio passing through the circuit didn't have a low-fidelity sound as well, which made it a very pricey, very cool, one-trick pony.

The Instant Lo-Fi Junky doesn't loop, but it allows me to keep the low-fidelity sound, have a very gentle vibrato, and a compressor and a tone control. Much more useful! I wish I still had the looper, though. Now, I've had to replace it with a cassette tape looper - not as precise... :(
ix
sascha.victoria wrote:
I have the lofi loop junky and love it. I would describe the sound as instant Boards of Canada.
#

thats just cost me $200 smile!!!!!!!! or whatever price they are now but would the wow and flutter by snazzy fx be better i wonder or a pitch pirate ?
Kirk Markarian
ix wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:
#

thats just cost me $200 smile!!!!!!!! or whatever price they are now but would the wow and flutter by snazzy fx be better i wonder or a pitch pirate ?

Well, I don't know how any other effect would sound. I heard it and fell in love with it. I wanted an analog effect and I enjoyed the Lo-Fi Loop Junky, even with it's limited looping feature. It's hard to say which would be best. It does exactly what I personally want it to! smile I wanted the sound without the loop.

I'm also running this into a cassette recorder at least once, sometimes twice. I would recommend listening to it on YouTube first, hear some other examples. The ILFJ is very versatile for me, but other people prefer other pedals.
ettubaby
You can get excellent wobbly looping with a strymon El Capistan.
Kirk Markarian
ettubaby wrote:
You can get excellent wobbly looping with a strymon El Capistan.

I agree - you can get excellent warped sounds from the El Capistan! It's really more of decision between analog and digital.
ettubaby
The original lofi did not use BBD for its chorus, the chip which was meant for toys and answering machines and save the audio in flash. the sampling was like 8khz. Also the way they use the eprom kills it after a number of records.
Kirk Markarian
ettubaby wrote:
The original lofi did not use BBD for its chorus, the chip which was meant for toys and answering machines and save the audio in flash. the sampling was like 8khz. Also the way they use the eprom kills it after a number of records.

Is this going to be some sort of online argument? I only wanted to answer somebody's question.

We're not really talking about the Lo-Fi Loop Junky and the question of whether or not it's analog. ZVEX claims it's analog. I will go with the creator's word on the pedal. I owned one. It was great. It was a one-trick pony, because it did not offer me the sound of the loop when I did not record one. The Instant Lo-Fi Junky does, minus the loop...

So... The Instant Lo-Fi Junky - It's analog, has a low fidelity sound. Some people like it. Some don't. The OP wanted to hear a reason to purchase the pedal. Links were provided. The OP likes it. The OP also has the right to listen to other pedals and make their own decision.
dude
the ciat lonbarde cocquantus seems like similar territory. worth considering forfreakishfantasy...
burnn_out!
I had been thinking bout this pedal for awhile now. Need to make it happen
Kirk Markarian
dude wrote:
the ciat lonbarde cocquantus seems like similar territory. worth considering forfreakishfantasy...

I can't complain about Ciat-Lonbarde stuff - I own the Sidrassi Organ - I'm still using it after 6 years! I bet the cocquantus is awesome!
Suburban Bather
I viewed this thread while intoxicated. A few days later, two junkies showed up at my house.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/suburban-bather/lofi-junky-demo[/s]
askthedust
Sold mine because although it was nice sounding it was too noisy for my taste.
dude
Kirk Markarian wrote:
I own one - it a MAJOR part of my setup. I record to multi-track cassette, then I record that through the Instant Lo-Fi Junky into another cassette recorder.

I like it better than Boards of Canada. It isn't as crisp. It has more noise and better warble. Of course, that is my opinion.

Here, all my music is ran through it. In the first two tracks, I am running a Moog Minitaur and Leploop through it (on cassette first, of course) and a cassette loop of the Minitaur is running as well, on one of the tracks.

http://soundcloud.com/deuterostome

your tunes are gorgeous and i just bought one of these on ebay.
Kirk Markarian
dude wrote:

your tunes are gorgeous and i just bought one of these on ebay.

Thanks a ton! I'm sorry for the long reply - got busy with other stuff. That's a great compliment and it made my day!
Pdm1138
I went through a warble / wow and flutter stage last summer and bought both the instant lo fi junki and the pitch pirate. The lofi junky is great..it cuts the high end and adds compression...along with avibrato type effect to create warble. The vibrato algorithms are great and very usable. The pitch pirate is much more extreme and doesn't really sound lo-fi. If you want a more transparent warble then the pitch pirate can do that, but only on very "restrained" settings.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4