MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

questions about the waveform city module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author questions about the waveform city module
thesnow
Do the ATTACK and RELEASE knobs use different pots than the other knobs on the module? They feel different and not as firm as the other knobs on the module. Do yours feel like this, too? Just wanted to know if this is normal.

Also, using the module alone and not patched, just audio out from the VCA OUT jack to hear the different waveforms and banks, on any different Bank and Waveform, if you turn the Coarse knob all the way clockwise does the waveform become wild? kind of sporadic or random territory? I've owned other oscillators in the past and what I'm generally used to happening when you turn the coarse of the oscillator all the way clockwise either it goes into inaudible signal or stays at very high pitch, but steady, sound/pitch. But with the Waveform City, when only plugged out of the VCA OUT to listen to the different waveforms, when you turn the Coarse all the way clockwise it becomes wild and sporadic sounding! as opposed to inaudible or a really steady high pitch sound/pitch. I just wanted to know if this is normal on the Waveform City.

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks.
laserpalace
Just tried out the high registers and there is a bit of digital noise depending on your waveform selection, somewhat similar to the woggle out although less audible. Regarding the pots mine are all the same across all three modules. Some are a little more stiff than others but nothing terribly noticeable. Hopefully that helps!
Ekofisk
laserpalace wrote:
Just tried out the high registers and there is a bit of digital noise depending on your waveform selection, somewhat similar to the woggle out although less audible. Regarding the pots mine are all the same across all three modules. Some are a little more stiff than others but nothing terribly noticeable. Hopefully that helps!

Same here. On both mine.
thesnow
Thank you guys so much. Hug

Admittedly I didn't know just how deep the WC module was especially for my first 300 module but I am having so much fun with it. Already read through the manual a couple of times. What a super module! Waiting on a couple more modules at the moment.

Thanks for responding to my pm's earlier too laserp.

another question, might be a silly question but just for peace of mind, a few of the First waveforms on the first set of banks are sine waves, it is regular that those sine waves from the VCA OUT sound different than coming out of the direct SINE output? They are both sine waves but the direct SINE output is analog right? thus the difference in timbre, kind of thicker sounding right? Was just comaparing the difference in the sounds. Thanks.
laserpalace
No problem! Honestly it's what brought me to the 300 format. Regarding the sines you are correct, there should be a bit of difference between the two. Much more noticeable when you start adding FM. All the waveform outputs are analog, and the WAVE OUT (WFC Digital OUT) is normalled to the VCA OUT.
thesnow
Thanks!

1 more question, last one after this one I think!

I know the 10V/+/-5V switch is used for hooking up the waveform city to different external gear, but I also noticed that it also changes the tone of the module's sound when you switch it. What position do you generally use that switch in when patching your 300 modules and is it okay to use this switch in that way to change the tone of the module sound if you want to or does it affect the PSU in any bad way like that? meaning, does this switch become useless if you're never going to use the module with external gear? this is the type of tech stuff that becomes more blurry to me as I've never had to or wanted to cross different synths/modulars together before.

Thanks!
Norman_Phay
I generally use the +/-5v switch position for processing audio waveforms, and the 0-10v switch position for quantising CVs using the bank 16 tables.
chamomileshark
if it's a second hand module try this - gently pull out the "volume" knob. If it comes out you have the lin/log mod on the AR
thesnow
Norman_Phay wrote:
I generally use the +/-5v switch position for processing audio waveforms, and the 0-10v switch position for quantising CVs using the bank 16 tables.

processing audio waveforms from Wiard 300 modules ? (or external?)

still trying to wrap my head around this.

chamomileshark wrote:
if it's a second hand module try this - gently pull out the "volume" knob. If it comes out you have the lin/log mod on the AR

it's not second hand.
laserpalace
chamomileshark
Whoa didn't know that. Unfortunately my module doesn't have that feature, one of the first 10 made actually.

Quote:
+1

thesnow
Try running your analog outs into the Wave IN for interesting results.
thesnow
okay thanks.

I guess I just need to study some more to learn in which applications is switching the set of the output to 0 to +10V range applicable/necessary and -5 to +5 volt range applicable/necessary.

Anyway I find that studying/playing with an instrument more eventually unfolds these concepts and that's exactly what I'm gonna be doing.

btw examining my module again the knobs are fine and it is like laserp said, some are a little more stiff than others but nothing terribly noticeable.

Thanks!
subterryanean
That switch is for the "WS" input. The saw output of the internal oscillator is normaled to this, which would be a -5/+5 signal. If you want to run other signals through the 'digital waves' you'd plug that into the WS in. Using audio signals such as oscillators or the output of the filter you want it set to -5/+5, with control signals such as an envelope or Wogglebug stuff you want to set it to 0-10.

This of course is just a general rule, you can experiment with different settings, it won't hurt anything.

(looking forward to the euro MegaWave!)
el clon
Definitely don't feel bad about asking a bunch of questions. I find the answers helpful, too. These modules are so deep that it helps to hear people's questions and answers.
thesnow
subterryanean wrote:
That switch is for the "WS" input. The saw output of the internal oscillator is normaled to this, which would be a -5/+5 signal. If you want to run other signals through the 'digital waves' you'd plug that into the WS in. Using audio signals such as oscillators or the output of the filter you want it set to -5/+5, with control signals such as an envelope or Wogglebug stuff you want to set it to 0-10.
(looking forward to the euro MegaWave!)

Thanks so much.

subterryanean wrote:
This of course is just a general rule, you can experiment with different settings, it won't hurt anything.

THIS especially helps a lot. Thank you.

el clon wrote:
Definitely don't feel bad about asking a bunch of questions. I find the answers helpful, too. These modules are so deep that it helps to hear people's questions and answers.

Thanks. That is great.
chamomileshark
thesnow wrote:

still trying to wrap my head around this.

chamomileshark wrote:

it's not second hand.

There are a couple of extra mods for a small extra cost - you'd only not know about it if you got one second hand
el clon
chamomileshark wrote:

There are a couple of extra mods for a small extra cost - you'd only not know about it if you got one second hand

Grant stopped offering the mods a long time ago. I ordered my first 300-series modules almost 5 years ago and he told me then that he wouldn't do them on any new orders because they were taking too much time (he said he hadn't anticipated that practically everyone would want the mods) and he was trying to get caught up...
carygrace
thesnow wrote:

btw examining my module again the knobs are fine and it is like laserp said, some are a little more stiff than others but nothing terribly noticeable.

The "Attack" and "Release" pots are in fact a different value from the rest of the pots on the module, and therefore would have been a different batch purchased at a different time. Some batches of pots are slightly stiffer than others, I'm guessing due to variations in amount and viscosity of lubricant (they come lubricated with a sort of oil), but functionality is the same, and I do check that all the pots are working properly as part of the test procedure before shipping anything. If you have any trouble, let me know. The pots are all field-replaceable (on a 3-pin connector, so no soldering needed).
thesnow
carygrace wrote:
thesnow wrote:

The "Attack" and "Release" pots are in fact a different value from the rest of the pots on the module, and therefore would have been a different batch purchased at a different time. Some batches of pots are slightly stiffer than others, I'm guessing due to variations in amount and viscosity of lubricant (they come lubricated with a sort of oil), but functionality is the same, and I do check that all the pots are working properly as part of the test procedure before shipping anything. If you have any trouble, let me know. The pots are all field-replaceable (on a 3-pin connector, so no soldering needed).

Thank you, Cary. I knew I felt a difference! But it was nothing problematic or unusable in any way so I wanted to state the fact that everything was fine. I have no doubt that everything gets tested before shipping! The inside of the module looks absolutely gorgeous! I probably opened it at least 3 times before fixing it to my frame and case just to look at it! It's a work of Art!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1