CGS Kits?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

CGS Kits?

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 am

So.. I just orderd a PCB for the Super Psycho LFO as well as a DC Mixer.

anybody have any luck building either one of these for their system?
I figure I'll get FPE to do the panels once I'm done.....

Bitch is gathering all the parts from mouser, lol. Because on a few things.. Ken doesnt list the volts for some of the parts... he's been emailing me info back and forth tho. I had a super psycho but I figured I could build one for far less that it was worth (metalbox we are talking here)

Once the Tube VCA/Timbral gate comes in...
going to build one of those as well as maybe a 2nd sequential switch.

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:32 pm

I think Muff has. I've been curious about the Real Ring Modulator.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Check with Laurie Biddulph at Elby Designs. He has parts kits (just stuffing the PCB) and hardware kits (pots, knobs, jacks in 1/4" and 3.5mm format) for many of the CGS modules, and sells the PCBs too. His LEDs are seriously old school, big metal cowling and stuff, but it has a certain appeal. His kits are also comprehensive; they give you the parts for as many of the options Ken descibes as possible, so you have to do a little work to sort out how you want to handle things.

But, using the time is money thing, ordering 4 sets of Seq. Switch parts from Elby was *way* cheaper, even with shipping from Australia, than my time spent wrangling with Mouser. Now if I could only figure out how in the hell to get all of this stuff behind one panel of reasonable size :)

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:11 pm

plord wrote:Check with Laurie Biddulph at Elby Designs. He has parts kits (just stuffing the PCB) and hardware kits (pots, knobs, jacks in 1/4" and 3.5mm format) for many of the CGS modules, and sells the PCBs too. His LEDs are seriously old school, big metal cowling and stuff, but it has a certain appeal. His kits are also comprehensive; they give you the parts for as many of the options Ken descibes as possible, so you have to do a little work to sort out how you want to handle things.

But, using the time is money thing, ordering 4 sets of Seq. Switch parts from Elby was *way* cheaper, even with shipping from Australia, than my time spent wrangling with Mouser. Now if I could only figure out how in the hell to get all of this stuff behind one panel of reasonable size :)
so Elby doesn't just offer the euro kits?

http://www.analoguehaven.com/elbydesigns/

interesting.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

krisp14u
Oakley4All!

Post by krisp14u » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:30 pm

I built CGS 21 up in MOTM format if you need any info just ask
the Super psycho Modulator really is a fun modulator and also cool drone oscillator
Elby is a good place to get parts for kens kits
you can get some partial kits from
http://www.bridechamber.com/
not the CGS21 though but the kits there for the Tube VCA

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:39 pm

just after i got started in DIY, i ordered a few kits from elby--the synthacon, gated comparator, and super psycho lfo. the super psycho is stuffed only, the synthcon needs troubleshooting but the gated comparator is up and running. i like the components kits, and i like the big chrome leds he sends with the hardware kits...but dont care for the 1/4" jacks. i would definitely order component kits from him again but would source my own hardware (its really not very hard...plenty of cheap alpha pots and davies 1900H clone knobs are available through smallbear and you can get just about everything else from mouser).

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:17 pm

WHAT

WHAT

Smallbear has the 1900H? Or a clone? (plord makes use of teh intarweb...) HOT DAMN. That's 1/3 the price of the real thing!

THANKS!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”