MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Filters
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Serge Filters
Old Age
I'm sure there is another thread on this, I just couldn't find it.

So I've been listening to Mr. Fullerton Whitman's "Multiples" a lot lately, and I have found myself in love with the filters on the serge he is using (especially on part 1). Which ones is he using? Are there any eurorack modules that are similar to these filters?
Arcade Sinusoid
Toppobrillo multifilter will get you pretty close.
Dofkev
The serge filters are amazing. You could buy (or build) this:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66885&highlight=msu

Old age: you are in st louis? Small town, who are you?

Or you could forget trying to copy serge and get this totally wonderful module of amazement:
http://www.serge-fans.com/m-class-multi-filter.cfm

Or a more practical suggestion: The ability to voltage control the Q is a big part of the serge filter sound. Intellijel's Dr. Octature does this pretty well, and it is an amazing DC voltage generator AND it responds to FM soooooooo well.
mhtones
As suggested above, try the multifilter. To be honest, I know these can't exactly replace real serge, but the maths, sport modulator and multifilter are giving me all kinds of serge-a-like fun in the euro-world. It's peanut butter jelly time!
Old Age
Dofkev wrote:

Or a more practical suggestion: The ability to voltage control the Q is a big part of the serge filter sound. Intellijel's Dr. Octature does this pretty well, and it is an amazing DC voltage generator AND it responds to FM soooooooo well.

I am from St. Louis (in the city), but I am going to school in Louisville, KY. I should probably add that. Speaking of which, if any of you know of people in the Louisville area on this forum let me know, so far I haven't been able to find anyone sad banana . But yeah, I've seen Raglani, Kevin Harris, etc. do some modular shows and I really got into it. I've been a synth lover for a while, and this summer I finally decided to start a modular, and I'm looovin it.

Thanks for the advice. The multifilter and octature were definitely what I kind of had in mind. The DIY kit looks cool, and I would love to eventually build a serge-style system from elby. We will see!
Navs
The Toppobrillo is a very nice filter but it does not sound like a Serge.
Dofkev
Old Age wrote:
Dofkev wrote:

I've seen Raglani, Kevin Harris, etc. do some modular shows and I really got into it.

Yeah, those guys totally suck, but hit me up if you ever come back to STL.
Mans
So what's so special about a serge filter exactly? Genuine inquiry.

I've heard that Cwejman filters share some of its characteristics?
komyta
Mans wrote:

They're expensive. hihi

Mans wrote:

Indeed. See above. lol

(hides)
komyta
...While wandering in the Buchla, EMS & Serge subforum, I came upon this interesting thread about forthcoming Serge Euro modules :

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58972

Exciting. hyper
amnesia
Navs wrote:

Totally agree. I just borrowed a Toppo and its not even close.
toppobrillo
Quote:

Navs wrote:

Totally agree. I just borrowed a Toppo and its not even close

Is it supposed to be? hmmm.....
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I didn't know serge used filters. I thought it was all "West Coast"? In fact using the word Serge and Filter in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
BugBrand
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
I didn't know serge used filters. I thought it was all "West Coast"? In fact using the word Serge and Filter in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

That definitely deserves the reply "Hmmmmmm"

Edit - I think you're thinking about Buchla not having much in the way of resonant filters? (Maybe that's wrong too? What do I know.. but, anyways - Serge filters are resonant and well regarded - mainly multi-mode SV Filters, I think)
amnesia
toppobrillo wrote:
Quote:

Navs wrote:

I dont know if its suppose to be but for some reason it must have people thinking it is, thats why I wanted to try it.
richard
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:

seriously, i just don't get it
Funky40
how is the CGS Serge 1973 SVF ?
is that the one from the serge line you would choose today ?
having this is having "the serge VCF sound" ?
Drumdrumdrumdrum
So to say West cost synthesis does not use filters is a big generalisation then, right?
ndkent
A lot of people say "West Coast" because they don't actually own Buchla or Serge and even perhaps if they did they'd receive a "huh?" in response. Anyway Serge did not utilize lowpass gates and he was pretty Moog informed as he worked quite a bit expanding TONTO fairly early on. That said Serge's filters dont try to go head to head with Moog. Maybe more the precision tool which these days also brings up Cwejman.
Nuuj
I swear that I saw that some obscure Euro maker that I liked on Facebook posted a panel for an upcoming Serge filter clone in the last month, but I can't recall who. I can recall that they weren't US based and don't currently have many modules on the market.
Arcade Sinusoid
Oops my bad fellas. What the op was asking was a filter that sounded "similar" in the euro format. By all means its not a Serge filter. But I think you can get some pretty cool serge "like" results with the toppobrillos functions especially with some feedback patching or quad cv foolery. Just a recommendation to Old Age. I guess the answer is if you want a Serge filter buy a Serge filter but while saving up for one enjoy yourself some nice euro filters! twisted
Arcade Sinusoid
[s]http://soundcloud.com/def-rebel/filter-fun[/s]
oops Guinness ftw! lol
Mans
komyta wrote:
Mans wrote:

They're expensive. hihi

Mans wrote:

Indeed. See above. lol

(hides)

lol
Navs
amnesia wrote:
toppobrillo wrote:
Quote:

Navs wrote:

I dont know if its suppose to be but for some reason it must have people thinking it is, thats why I wanted to try it.

No, Josh, and it doesn't have to be. It's a class filter in its own right. But evidently some people think there's a Serge connection.
Michael O.
There are two types of resonant vcf's (other than the res eq, which lacks vc, and things that could be patched up as a vcf/lpg, like the dusg, for example) in my friend's Serge/STS system. There's the variable-Q filter, and there's the variable slope filter. Each filter has distinct features, and, likewise, has a distinct sound.

It appeared to me as if the variable-q (as in vc'able Q/resonance) is more or less a standard state-variable filter, but with all the options. This is probably where the initial association with the toppo vcf arose; it and the variable-q appear very similar function-wise, but likely sound different (e.g., doepfer moog and doepfer diode lpf's).

The variable-slope filter seemed to be a different beast entirely, though. The vslope has infinitely variable slope that can be manually or voltage controlled. I don't think I've seen this feature as such in a euro module, which is a bummer because it really has a unique character. The serge is actually capable of incredible acid/techno style synth lines when patched properly, despite popular belief. Also, like just about everything in the serge system (or euro, or anything really) the filters benefit from judicious feedback patching, experimenting with and mastering that gets you a large part of the way there.

Also, hey wigglers! Good to be aboard, been reading for a long time, you guys are the best synth resource out there! Finally, sorry for potential typos, typed from the phone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2