MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

diy M-odule to pair with Creature
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author diy M-odule to pair with Creature
aetherpulse
Due to recent financial situations (sick cat, new furniture for new house, etc.)my master plan of a WAD to go with my creature isn't looking feasible for the near future.
So, assuming I have a +-15 power supply and a DUSG board, what else do you guys think would play nicely in the space left? There are a lot of diy options out there and it is a little overwhelming to try and choose!
I would like for this boat to be as self contained as possible. The Creature is my first Serge so I know a lot of you have much more experiance with this style of synthesis and may have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. any ideas would be very helpful.
rezzn8r
another DUSG hihi
aetherpulse
Nah, I don't want to copy what Rex already offers. Otherwise I might as well wait a year or so and get a real M-odule.

How about: DuSG, Plague Bearer, CGS mixer, CGS Gated Comparator?
Or maybe trade the Comparator for a wave multiplier , or maybe switch the DuSG to a DTG and add a noise source, or maybe...

Too many choices!
sanders
CGS Slope Detectors close by might be useful. Comparators and Logic circuits also. I'm thinking these might all work together well for making complex envelopes, complex timing events, delays, followers, modulations, etc.
pickleinn
I am doing some DIY M-odules as well. I found a guy locally that is etching some panels for me right now. I may have some extra panels when all said and done since its cheaper than doing one-offs.

any way, here is a rough draft of a dual M-odule layout with a programmer/sequencer with a pulse type panel.

on the pulse panel, if you replace the dual buchla 281 with a dual VCS, you would have a pretty sweet sequencing panel i think

here is a link to a large version of the above image:
picture

Ryan
pickleinn
aetherpulse,

Just an offer, if you want:
I am going to make the leftmost m-odule with two of ken's VCS pcb's in place of the buchla 281. If you would like, i can get another panel made up for you as well......it will be very similar to the STS m-odule look overall (hole placement and mounting). at least thats the plan. it should cost around $50 to $100 max for the panel (i will find out more this week when the material comes in). I have some preliminary images of the etching process as well, if you are interested send a PM.

Ryan
aetherpulse
I like the look of that Pickleinn! I actually have boards for all of it except the Programmer. The only problem is that it would still leave a hole next to the Creature...
Cat-A-Tonic
Pickleinn, nice looking panel, but...
you should really put the reset input on the pulse divider.
Trust me, it's worth it.
You can make space if you move the Logic LEDs to the center of the Logic symbols.
Then pick whichever Logic function you are most likely to need a regular inversion of and hardwire it.
That way you only need an output jack for the inversion.
I think XOR already has its own inversion available as well.
LEDs don't really need to be 'on the grid' IMO, and the burn precious panel space that is needed for other features.
If you don't want to move LEDs around, you might consider leaving off one inverter entirely
to add the pulse divider reset input, and a button for reset too.
Look at the MetalBox version for inspiration.
pickleinn
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Trust me, it's worth it.
You can make space if you move the Logic LEDs to the center of the Logic symbols.
Then pick whichever Logic function you are most likely to need a regular inversion of and hardwire it.
That way you only need an output jack for the inversion.
I think XOR already has its own inversion available as well.
LEDs don't really need to be 'on the grid' IMO, and the burn precious panel space that is needed for other features.
If you don't want to move LEDs around, you might consider leaving off one inverter entirely
to add the pulse divider reset input, and a button for reset too.
Look at the MetalBox version for inspiration.

yeah, the reset jack and button has been a debate in my head....if i take out one of the inverters i will have space....but then need to rethink the design. i am still thinking! thanks for the input.

Ryan
DGTom
Having NAND & NOR outs which mirror the AND & OR is no bad thing - especially when chaining logic & mixing / multipling rythmic gates. I think what you lose by not being able to apply logical inversion 'anywhere' you gain in being able to constrain the divider, via reset & the pure cock rock thrill of 'jamming' on the reset button (spandex anyone!?!)

I've actually been toying with the idea of a little rotary switch utility module, one great use would be to create a set of preset resets within a patch!
aetherpulse
So, how useful would just the left part of Pickleinn's panel be paired with a Creature (changing the fun gens to a dusg)? The use of logic modules is something I still haven't been able to get my head around.

The seq/prog part is less important to me since I still have a hex zone and a Klee to build.
Cat-A-Tonic
To lend fire to the importance of the reset & its use with logic heed the words of Santa (Ken Stone):
Quote:
Try feeding the /8 output into the reset - this will force all to synchronize to a /7 count, with the lesser divisions becoming "syncopated".
For example, the /6 and /7 outputs could be ANDed together, and that would give a pulse every 6 x 7 (42) clock pulses
(i.e. 1 pulse immediately the pulse divider is reset, and the second 42 pulses after that etc.).

http://www.cgs.synth.net/
under: Pulse Divider and Boolean Logic.

Once you start using it you'll realize how much compositional power the reset gives.
The Pulse Divider & Logic is my 'go-to' drum sequencer, and that is really just the beginning...
Use it to clock one sequencer at a division of another one...
You'll no longer be constrained by 4:4 timing.
Bring on the polyrhythms and syncopations!
zthee
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Trust me, it's worth it.

If it's the CGS pulse divider; I think it's a bad that all outputs goes high when receiving a reset pulse. It always messed up my programmed logic. I'd prefer them to go all go low instead. I guess that could be achieved by inverting the whole chain.. But that would be to much trouble to make.
the bad producer
DGTom wrote:

I've actually been toying with the idea of a little rotary switch utility module, one great use would be to create a set of preset resets within a patch!

That is a great idea! I think I'm going to steal it! Ninja
pickleinn
zthee wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Trust me, it's worth it.

If it's the CGS pulse divider; I think it's a bad that all outputs goes high when receiving a reset pulse. It always messed up my programmed logic. I'd prefer them to go all go low instead. I guess that could be achieved by inverting the whole chain.. But that would be to much trouble to make.

yes, it is CGS pulse divider, and i am still debating the reset. I will have the reset ability on the zthee panel any way. seriously, i just don't get it what to do?

Ryan
zthee
Have one with and one without.
And if you change your mind you can mod your panel later.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1