MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer or any multi vco system (calibration question)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Doepfer or any multi vco system (calibration question)
userwave
quick question

I have 3 a-110 vco's in my modular, when i calibrate to volta
should i just be doing 1 vco, or should i run all 3 vco's into a mixer module and calibrating all 3???

thanks.
os
You should probably do all 3, unless you have some magic way of making sure all 3 modules have their 'Tune' knobs set the same.
ndkent
I'd say it depends if they all track together with what you ere using before Volta. If they all track acceptably together then I'd calibrate any one vco with volta for the calibration phase of your setup but then patch all 3 to your volta out. You know, if they tracked before from a source then they'll track from another 1v/oct source.

A mix of 3 vcos for volta calibration will surely confuse volta for the calibration setup because you have multiple out of phase waves when volta expects to calibrate just a pure and simple wave.

Now if they don't track together acceptably before volta, then you could try to re-calibrate any VCO that dosen't track a known good 1v/oct source if you know how to calibrate the module... or if that sounds difficult you could give the mistracking module it's own volta channel and let volta try to calibrate your mistracking module separate from the tracking ones
doctorvague
If you're going to calibrate all 3, they definitely need to calibrated separately.
userwave
thanks everyone.
markus enochson
well, if you calibrate one its easy enough to calibrate the rest by ear...
ndkent
imho other peoples calibration comments are confusing, maybe even mine are?

You have a volta calibration, which is a software utility. Most hardware midi to cv converters have some sort of user scaling/tracking adjustment which could be called calibration.

Then you have a module's onboard calibration which would be a service procedure, you know internal trimpots and knowing what you are doing.

So if your 3 VCOs track with CV before volta, you are best off calibrating volta to one of them and then connecting volta to all of them. A mix into volta will confuse volta and get you nowhere inside volta.

If some of your vcos don't track correctly keeping them from working in unison before you stared with volta then you could -

A) Separately connect them each to volta, maybe volta can compensate with a non-linear scaled output. Of course you use up channels on your interface but might do the trick.

B) Determine which VCOs defy your pre-volta hardware and get them calibrated by someone who knows how.
os
Here's another way to look at this, which might clear things up:

Most VCOs are factory-calibrated to track properly to 1V/octave. If you use a hardware MIDI/CV converter you're relying on this.

The calibration in software like Volta or Silent Way is really calibrating the *interface*, not the VCO.

So once you've calibrated one oscillator in isolation you should be able to use that calibration on all your oscillators, just as if you were using a MIDI/CV converter.

Of course this doesn't apply if you're attempting to use a mix of VCOs with different pitch CV standards (e.g. Doepfer and Buchla), or if you're using something esoteric as a VCO (e.g. an LFO module). But for people who just have, say, three A110s in a rack the above applies perfectly well.
ndkent
well said.
1nput0utput
ndkent wrote:
If some of your vcos don't track correctly keeping them from working in unison before you stared with volta then you could -

A) Separately connect them each to volta, maybe volta can compensate with a non-linear scaled output. Of course you use up channels on your interface but might do the trick.

If I understand the Volta docs correctly, this is exactly what the plug-in is doing. If an oscillator is tracking something higher or lower than 1V/oct., Volta will detect that when it analyzes the pitch of the signal that the oscillator produces and it will adjust the voltages it generates accordingly.

os wrote:
So once you've calibrated one oscillator in isolation you should be able to use that calibration on all your oscillators, just as if you were using a MIDI/CV converter.
…
But for people who just have, say, three A110s in a rack the above applies perfectly well.

This only applies if the various oscillators track CV the same way (1V/oct.). If one A-110 is malfunctioning and tracks 1.3V/oct., then it won't track the same way that a properly working A-110 will. But Volta can compensate for the malfunctioning oscillator when you calibrate it separately.
os
1nput0utput wrote:
This only applies if the various oscillators track CV the same way (1V/oct.). If one A-110 is malfunctioning and tracks 1.3V/oct., then it won't track the same way that a properly working A-110 will.


Well yes, that would be covered by what I said: "this doesn't apply if you're attempting to use a mix of VCOs with different pitch CV standards".

A broken A-110 would count as a VCO with a different pitch CV standard in my thinking.
Analog>Plugins
I would say:

Calibrate one of the oscilators to Volta, then if the other oscilators are not in tune ...calibrate them to the first oscilator by hand using the scale tuning adjustment that should beon the hardware of the oscilator i.e a screw on the circuit board.

No point wasting channels running all the oscilators .... just one as your master.
userwave
ya thats what i will do,

trigger all 3 from 1 cv out of a multiple module

Analog>Plugins wrote:
I would say:

Calibrate one of the oscilators to Volta, then if the other oscilators are not in tune ...calibrate them to the first oscilator by hand using the scale tuning adjustment that should beon the hardware of the oscilator i.e a screw on the circuit board.

No point wasting channels running all the oscilators .... just one as your master.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group