MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Explain the Buchla 256e Please...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Explain the Buchla 256e Please...
drewskee
Ok, so I am no newbie having a two panel custom Serge and a panel of Buchla 200e with the 261 / 281 / 292 / 266...which can do lots of stuff.

I am thinking about a second 200e panel with an additional 261, 206, 256 and possibly a Morph Filter (now that I would have presets via the 206) or the Freq Shifter.

I have read here and there that the 256 does not really do "mixing" or cross fading and I am trying to get the TRUTH on whether you can fully crossfade between CV 1 and CV 2 inputs and/or get equal mix in the center?

If not, can someone splain' how is DOES work so I have some idea of it will do what I'd like...which is to make all sorts of weird composite mod sources using 266 + 218 + second slot of 256 etc, etc.

Thanks!

help dizzy
prscrptn
The 256e is very useful for creating complex control voltages; (see the link below).

http://xfade.com/Buchla/256/

Thanks Chris! thumbs up
drewskee
Right....thanks! Been there, read that but also have noticed others saying that the mixing/cross fading does not perform as expected...either it does not cancel out fully when at one extreme or the other...or....the mixed voltage of the two inputs did something weird/unexpected (excluding the transfer function etc).

Wish i could articulate better, cannot find the old posts from Yahoo Group etc.

Thanks again!
cbm
Like most audio crossfaders, the 256e has some sort of fade law. I don't know exactly what it is, but when the select knob is in the 12:00 position, both the input channels are attenuated a little bit, so that the total output doesn't clip. This is what you want for a CV crossfader, IMO, but might not be what you want for a CV mixer.

In practice it hardly ever bothers me that I can't have two sources mix at 100%.
cbm
To elaborate just a bit further, yes you can get either input source, or a crossfade of the two of them. They are equal in the middle.
xpander
if you only have one input, does the crossfade knob scale the signal? i'm picking mine up tomorrow so i've been really trying to figure out exactly how it works before i even toy around with it.
cbm
Yes. If you put your signal into in 2 (e.g. LFO from cycling section of 281) and your control source into select (e.g. MIDI Mod wheel from control bus from 225e), the 256e will scale your LFO from 0 to full with Mod wheel travel.
xpander
excellent- i'm looking forward to much, much more functionality in my system tomorrow.
drewskee
cbm wrote:
Like most audio crossfaders, the 256e has some sort of fade law. I don't know exactly what it is, but when the select knob is in the 12:00 position, both the input channels are attenuated a little bit, so that the total output doesn't clip. This is what you want for a CV crossfader, IMO, but might not be what you want for a CV mixer.

In practice it hardly ever bothers me that I can't have two sources mix at 100%.

Yeah, that would not be a problem for me either since it is all for creating psychotic cv's anyway...no tonal sounds for me!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1