MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Devi Ever Dream Mangler (Hypediton) + Bit Mangler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Devi Ever Dream Mangler (Hypediton) + Bit Mangler
felix
My Devi Dream Mangler and Bit Mangler arrived on Tuesday and I had a nice long jam session with them last night.

The Dream Mangler is a custom order "Hypedition" which features the Hyperion fuzz circuit in replacement of the standard VFM circuit. So this Dream Mangler is DF (disaster fuzz) + HYE (Hyperion).

The Bit Mangler is a VFM + BIT combination.

I asked for the Hyperion switcheroo so that I had 4 unique fuzz circuits.

On to the good stuff...

Dream Mangler
I *love* the DF fuzz. I'm now torn between which I like more, my SM (soda meiser) or the DF in the Dream Mangler. The self-oscillation switch on the DF is very fun, but personally I don't like it on guitar that much. I bet it will be wonderful on drums and the modular.

The Hyperion fuzz has two modes, both of which are very interesting. One mode sounds very tame and at all but the higher intensities, is very gated which can be a very fun for chunky chords or weird cut off single note lines. The other mode is nice and saturated and has a nice hissy (with a bit of noise) quality to it.

Overall the Dream Mangler is great with guitar (for my tastes anyway) as neither fuzz is particularly over the top, and when both are on, with the right settings, you can get this great "my speakers are on fire and I only have a few notes before they melt" kind of sound. smile

Bit Mangler
The VFM (Vintage Fuzz Master) certainly lives up to it's name. I immediately had some Black Sabbath kind of riffs flying at first listen. It's very thick and "wooly" with plenty of bite on the top. It's kind of like a less smooth SM. The noise and chaos modes are pretty over the top for guitar, but I think these will be rad with a synth or in some kind of feedback loop arrangement.

The BIT fuzz is over the top! It's pretty much exactly as described...meant to make your guitar sound like an 8bit video game sound. The output of the BIT is also extremely loud. I really wanted to run the output into the Dream Mangler, but I currently only have one Boss-style PSU and therefore could only run one at a time.

Overall, I'm liking the Dream Mangler for for guitar. I imagine the Bit Mangler is going to kill with the drum machine, and possibly bass...both things I've yet to try.

Video soon, pictures sooner.
shamann
felix wrote:
I currently only have one Boss-style PSU

Should you consider remedying that situation, I highly recommend the godlyke powerall.

Looking forward to hearing audio from the Dream Mangler, be interested to hear how it differs from the regular one.
felix
I'm going to pickup the power-all this weekend! grin
I actually did find another Boss PSU (I thought I had another one). Ironically, it doesn't seem to power my two Boss pedals...but I checked it with a multimeter and it powers the Devi Pedals just fine.

Regarding the difference in sound, you'll have to judge for yourself from the videos when I finish, but I imagine it will simply sound a little more subdued from the standard Dream Mangler when both fuzzes are on (the DF part should sound the exact same). The Hyperion doesn't have the noise+chaos modes that the VFM has.

I did get around to running bass through the Bit Mangler and that is a lot of fun! Actually, that lead to the most fun of this evening which was finding a setting where the Bit Mangler started pulsating when I wasn't playing, so I took the jack out and touched it with my hand and started picking up AM radio! I could cut the AM radio signal by letting go of the jack, and it would go back to pulsating. I kicked the machine drum into action and started "playing" along, it was rad!

Unfortunately, when I went to grab the laptop and set it up to record a clip
and came back to the pedal, it stopped picking up the radio interference.

cry

I'll definitely be trying to get that back and eventually recorded.
zerosum
Quote:
I *love* the DF fuzz.

Me too 8)
Quote:
I bet it will be wonderful on drums and the modular.

grin The Disaster circuit likes voltage sources. I have got mine to track 3 notes playing from a keyboard, as well as wierd spits and spurts from the Binary Zone, cool kick drum pulses, etc.
The TBD has a switch to control the pitch of the oscillation, so your experiences may be a little different since the DM just has control for volume and fuzz intensity.
With the fuzz instensity around halfway, you should be able to get some choppy trem effects, which makes it usefull with guitars.

Yeah, guitars takes some time to dial in the right settings, but when you find it I'm sure you'll love it. Definitly not much of a fuzz for playing chords.
I recently let a friend borrow the TBD and he like the feedback loop and photo eye, but not the fuzz.
I think it may be because he didn't have as much time as I do to sit and play with noises to figure it out.
Try it with Bass, thats fun grin Throw the TM-7 at the end too grin

Quote:
The VFM (Vintage Fuzz Master) certainly lives up to it's name. I immediately had some Black Sabbath kind of riffs flying at first listen. It's very thick and "wooly" with plenty of bite on the top. It's kind of like a less smooth SM. The noise and chaos modes are pretty over the top for guitar, but I think these will be rad with a synth or in some kind of feedback loop arrangement.

The VFM loves neck pickups, I rarely use my bridge pickup.
I like the single coil neck with the VFM a lot.
Makes bending the strings a lot of fun.
I like the intensity set to about halfway.

Have fun with your new joystick machines, I gotta get me a joystick fuzzer someday too.
I want joystick control of the disasters intensity to be up,
and the left right of the joystick to control pitch.
zerosum
Maybe try this with your fuzzes too:
Guitar>bit mangler>TM-1>TM-7
Run an EG into the TM-1's VCA CV in.
felix
Quote:
grin The Disaster circuit likes voltage sources. I have got mine to track 3 notes playing from a keyboard, as well as wierd spits and spurts from the Binary Zone, cool kick drum pulses, etc.

Cool, I'll have to try that! I can hook up my joysticks for some voltage (since the modular is in pieces currently). Joystick orgy!

Quote:
The TBD has a switch to control the pitch of the oscillation, so your experiences may be a little different since the DM just has control for volume and fuzz intensity.

The DM, there is a switch to start the DF self-oscillating; the pitch is then directly controlled (or related to I guess) to the intensity. I had fun "playing" some stuff with it.

Quote:
Yeah, guitars takes some time to dial in the right settings, but when you find it I'm sure you'll love it. Definitly not much of a fuzz for playing chords.

So long as it's not self-oscillating, the DF is my new go-to fuzz I think. I love the SM, but I usually need some bass cutting to get a sound I really love. The DF has more of a low-cut/mid boost built in which i really like. They still sound different enough though that I need both! grin

Quote:
I recently let a friend borrow the TBD and he like the feedback loop and photo eye, but not the fuzz.

Parts (enclosure, knobs, etc) showed up for my feedbacker+TB looper and I hope to get that built up next week.

Quote:
The VFM loves neck pickups, I rarely use my bridge pickup.
I like the single coil neck with the VFM a lot.
Makes bending the strings a lot of fun.
I like the intensity set to about halfway.

Hot tip; I don't remember trying the neck pickup. I did notice that some of the coil-tapped settings (my PRS has a rotary knob for selecting pickup configs) created some cool noisy sounds.

First thing I do tonight is start running the DE boxes into the metasonix boxes, particularly the TM-7 and it's BN6. I love how the BN6 can sound like a cranked guitar amp.
zerosum
Quote:
Cool, I'll have to try that! I can hook up my joysticks for some voltage (since the modular is in pieces currently). Joystick orgy!

Yes!Yes! YES!!! grin

Quote:
Parts (enclosure, knobs, etc) showed up for my feedbacker+TB looper and I hope to get that built up next week.

Cool Man 8)

Quote:
First thing I do tonight is start running the DE boxes into the metasonix boxes, particularly the TM-7 and it's BN6. I love how the BN6 can sound like a cranked guitar amp.

Yeah 8)
5inusoid
+1 for Disaster Fuzz.

I love Guitar through it. You have to play leads, not chords.
Follow it up with a nice dose of TM-5 and its fuzz bliss.
felix
VIDEOs!!!!

Bit Mangler

Dream Mangler
shamann
Very cool, thanks for making them. Strikes me the Hyperion is a slightly more luxurious sounding fuzz.
felix
shamann wrote:
Very cool, thanks for making them. Strikes me the Hyperion is a slightly more luxurious sounding fuzz.

No problem! Yes it's a very, um, "full bodied" sounding fuzz. It's also very dynamic on the "low" mode. It's great for a dynamic crunchy sound, or for processing drums, certain bass sounds, and I'm guessing synths too.

It works very well with the DF on as well; it's not totally over the top crazy fuzz maddness like the Bit Mangler can be. I still need to hook them both up in series with the guitar and try some new combos like DF+BIT. I spaced on picking up that godlyke powerall over the weekend.

Been working late all last week and this, so I'm a little burnt by the time I get home lately.
zerosum
grin
J.w.M.
Wow-- Great videos. The Bit Mangler sounds outstanding on the drum machine. Makes me want to hear it through some really big speakers at a really loud volume in a really shady club.

The Hyperion sounds amazing on low-end. When kicking the disaster fuzz onto the drum machine, I really like how the reverb remains clearly-defined while the rest is fuzzed out. Awesome stuff.

Thanks for the vids!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1