MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[New Project] vcNOIZ -- a harsh voltage controlled noise VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author [New Project] vcNOIZ -- a harsh voltage controlled noise VCO
hexinverter
Hey ladies and gents This is fun!

I've yet another module I am developing. It is a 1bit voltage controlled noise generator with sub-octave simultaneous outputs and voltage control of the pitch. It creates gnarly ass C64/chiptune sounding noise textures.

PROJECT PAGE: http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=vcnoiz-universal-diy-format-pcb

PRE-ORDER HERE: http://igg.me/p/282076?a=227451



..









Here is the feature-set:

Inputs:
- Expo. response CV input (-V to +V)
- Linear response CV input (-V to +V) -- great for audio rate FM, as the audio demo shows. It sounds positively gruesome!
- Clock input (square wave, positive logic)

Controls:
- Pitch control (to tune base frequency, just like a VCO)

Outputs:
- Base frequency noise output (a little smoother sounding than the divisions) [audio coupled]
- Sub octave /4 output (gritty sounding) [audio coupled]
- Sub octave /8 output (gritty sounding) [audio coupled]
- Base frequency DC coupled gate output (for when wanting a random gate when using a slower clock/pitch rate)
- Internal clock output (there was an extra opamp, so I figured this could be useful)


An unedited audio demo (with some drone mixed in):

[s] http://www.soundcloud.com/hex-inverter/vcnoiz-a-voltage-controlled [/s]

[s] http://www.soundcloud.com/hex-inverter/hexinverter-net-vcnoiz-makes [/s]


Put your name on my mailing list to receive a notification when this project is in stock! http://eepurl.com/pDf_5

Panels will be available at http://www.resynthesis.co.uk
:







Watch the video for more info smile

I will be ordering PCBs for this soon. Let me know if you're interested so I can try and gauge how many to order!

raisinbag
Stop making cool shit! Dead Banana
hexinverter
raisinbag wrote:
Stop making cool shit! Dead Banana


I've definitely got a serious addiction to creating things :( lol This is fun!
mmelnick
I'm totally interested however i'm not sure I have the skill or time to build that. Any chance of making a few complete?
decaying.sine
Offered at your website when ready?
executiveBlaster
Coool! Make it make it.
hexinverter
mmelnick wrote:
I'm totally interested however i'm not sure I have the skill or time to build that. Any chance of making a few complete?


I'm always down for assembling some stuff, yeah! smile

Whenever Ben is able to make a panel I will offer a few handmade ones, sure This is fun!
hexinverter
decaying.sine wrote:
Offered at your website when ready?


Of course! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo


executiveBlaster wrote:
Coool! Make it make it.


This is fun!
HueMonContact
Dude do you sleep? Yet another cool circuit!!!

I'll have to add this to my ever growing backlog of projects to build.
hexinverter
HueMonContact wrote:
Dude do you sleep? Yet another cool circuit!!!

I'll have to add this to my ever growing backlog of projects to build.


Between school, electric race car design and this...no, not really. lol d'oh!
J3RK
Very nice! I'm a HUGE fan of digital noise. I'm getting mine from the CD4006 chip, but they're getting a bit harder to find. Your design also has more features. Mine's just a simple clock in/noise out.

I find digital noise much more interesting than any color of analog noise. It's really fun when gated, to make C64 - M.U.L.E. style drums. w00t

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
hexinverter
J3RK wrote:
Very nice! I'm a HUGE fan of digital noise. I'm getting mine from the CD4006 chip, but they're getting a bit harder to find. Your design also has more features. Mine's just a simple clock in/noise out.

I find digital noise much more interesting than any color of analog noise. It's really fun when gated, to make C64 - M.U.L.E. style drums. w00t

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up


Yessir! Precisely smile

Actually, this IS based around the CD4006. I don't know of any other suitable CMOS chips that can make a desirable LFSR, and do not want to use a microcontroller for it. I guess I could cascade a bunch of other ones to make it 32bits long, but that would be a lot more chips!

Mouser makes a suitable replacement. It is what is being used in this video: http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NTE/NTE4006B/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiKye83 Wn6UIkI9eKb43k7B42boFYHO4Ds%3d

Also, CD4006 aren't that hard to find smile Plenty on eBay (just don't by from China) and lots of surplus places in North America with them in stock still! Maybe I'll try and find a big batch of them to sell in pairs with the PCBs for this project (saving a few dollars from the Mouser replacements)
mckenic
OH HELLZ YES!
hexinverter
Oh yes, and if you are at all worried about Mouser only having just over 100 in stock...Newark has 3,500 in stock grin

http://www.newark.com/nte-electronics/nte4006b/memory/dp/31C3999?Ntt=n te4006
moogah
This tingles my interests.
J3RK
hexinverter wrote:
Oh yes, and if you are at all worried about Mouser only having just over 100 in stock...Newark has 3,500 in stock grin

http://www.newark.com/nte-electronics/nte4006b/memory/dp/31C3999?Ntt=n te4006


Looks like supplies are holding. Mr. Green

I've actually got about 50 of them myself. lol

Cool project!
raisinbag
How many 4006 does this bad boy need. If it needs a keypad, relay, windows 95 or a condenser mic I'm all ready to build MY ASS IS BLEEDING
hexinverter
raisinbag wrote:
How many 4006 does this bad boy need. If it needs a keypad, relay, windows 95 or a condenser mic I'm all ready to build MY ASS IS BLEEDING


Haha! Two of them, my good sir...just like the 909 kick wink

That keypad is from the 60's I think! I got a bunch of them in this pile of old parts...still haven't figured out what to do with them. haha!
defenestration
very promising, I'll build one thumbs up kinda like a voltage controlled aliasing generator

do you plan to add the ability to patch an external clock? presumably no problem to clock at subaudio? for generating random pulses to use as triggers and things
rosch
count me in!

hexinverter
defenestration wrote:
very promising, I'll build one thumbs up kinda like a voltage controlled aliasing generator

do you plan to add the ability to patch an external clock? presumably no problem to clock at subaudio? for generating random pulses to use as triggers and things


Yes, external clock input will be an included feature smile

Also, the divided outputs mean you can set the internal clock slow for some grainy noise, then take divisions of that and use the divisions for gating different things This is fun!

If the circuit isn't too complex (which it just about is already...so don't hold me to this), I'm even thinking of adding a simple sample and hold to add a random voltage output thumbs up
CJ Miller
Horrendous as it may be, vc clocked CMOS noise I think is pure ear candy. Your implementation of it sounds great. My first ever "original" module not copied from anything else was a vc noise circuit using an SN76477 because I had those and no 4006s. It's the small version so I glued it on its back and soldered it with wrap wire, which was like 40 AWG or so. I was amazed that it worked.

Actually, I don't remember quite how it worked, and I just found it again this week, so I'm going to go re-visit it.
transistor logic
nice sounds !
whitewulfe
FUCK YES!

I swear, if you keep coming out with so many kickass designs I'm going to be forced to put "pay Hex money for the latest sex in PCB format" in my budget SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
inlifeindeath
looks awesome! i'm confused on how the divider works. Seems you are using a CD4040, but wouldn't this convert the 'random noise voltages' into digital 1's and 0's? Any chance of a schem?
Also, I'd like to be able to buy a 4006 with the board, if it matters...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group