MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

M is for Modular (dance) Please critique..nicely. :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author M is for Modular (dance) Please critique..nicely. :)
jonkull
Someone on the Moog forum doesn't believe you can use a modular to make 'music' and that in order to make dance music you need real gear. After some discussion I offered to make a dance track for him using only the modular since that's the style of music he's into. Since dance isn't my bag baby I though I'd post it here for a little critique before embarrassing myself on the Moog forum. I'm not sure about the mix. As usual I mixed on headphones (that's what happens when you have a baby in the house and can't make noise) and it sounds like shit on laptop speakers.

Let me know what you think...

http://recoilsun.bandcamp.com/track/m-is-for-modular
cebec
Sounds awesome! SlayerBadger!

Only thing I'd do is pan the bass drum to the center.
jonkull
Thanks. I didn't even notice it was panned. I'll have to fix that.
Soy Sos
It sounds great, I don't see how anyone could say it's not effective dance music. My suggestions would be on the kick drum go for a much tighter and punchy sound with no reverb. Also spend a little time thinking about overlap in the frequencies between bass line and bass drum. Bring the kick and snare up a bit. If you can't play loud at your place take a copy some where where you can bang it and listen to it along side of other similar stuff by other artists. I hope that helps. Then tell the guy to kiss you modular azz!
chromium
I listen to and enjoy a lot of the stuff in here, but rarely post waah. This thread kinda hits home, though, since one of the reasons I built my modular was as a tool to help me make and mangle beats. This is not my strength. Most of the stuff I've done so far sounds like crap, but I'm learning.

You did a great job pulling this together. Great demo of one facet of what a modular can do. Maybe you should kick into a twenty minute drone at the end, just to piss the guy off hihi
MrDys
jonkull wrote:
in order to make dance music you need real gear.

I tend to be of the opinion that modulars are "realer" gear than what that chap probably has in mind.
Kent
That is fucking awesome! Screw that guy. Frying Pan Bash! You don't need to make a releasable album track to prove your point. Re-pan that track and boost the kick and snare: Done.
jonkull
Thanks for the comments guys. I did listen to it on my car stereo this morning while I was driving my son to daycare. I think it may need a considerable amount of EQ. The bass & kick are speaker destroying and make the track sound really muddy and distorted...at least in the car. On the flipside the bass & kick are barely audible on my laptop speakers. Sounds great through a pair of AKG K271 headphones.

chromium wrote:
I listen to and enjoy a lot of the stuff in here, but rarely post waah. This thread kinda hits home, though, since one of the reasons I built my modular was as a tool to help me make and mangle beats. This is not my strength. Most of the stuff I've done so far sounds like crap, but I'm learning.

Don't feel bad. I feel the same way about my stuff and for every one track I think sounds good enough to share here there's probably 10 that I threw away because they sucked. Just keep plugging away...

MrDys wrote:
jonkull wrote:
in order to make dance music you need real gear.

I tend to be of the opinion that modulars are "realer" gear than what that chap probably has in mind.

Well it was a Moog forum. He uses a Voyager, Kurzweil and software for his music (which is actually not that bad). What I don't get is how someone can not understand that a modular can be used in the same way any other synth can be used in. He's fixated on the bleeps and bloops he's seen posted on youtube and thinks that's all modulars are good for. It's odd really. That's like saying his Kurzweil is only good for piano sounds and can't be used for anything else. Anyway...
jonkull
Consolidated to one post.
jonkull
Consolidated to one post.
ai
One thing you might consider for the low-end issue (if you decide there _is_ one) is to run the bass-line through a compressor and trigger the compressor with the kick. That way you can get the bass-line out of the way for the kick without going through a mixing and eq nightmare...works for bass guitar and kick-drum anyway.
Mr White
Kent wrote:
That is fucking awesome! Screw that guy. Frying Pan Bash! You don't need to make a releasable album track to prove your point. Re-pan that track and boost the kick and snare: Done.

yeah, but this does not mean you cant!

I'm deep in dance and deep house music, using the modular is the definitive step beyond!
piss out that guy & bomb da bass!
b3nsf
Yay, I love when somebody challenges you to do something and you just sit back and hit a fucking home run first time!! great dance track!!!

I bet he's thinking, "I need to sell all this crap and buy a modular" hihi
jonkull
b3nsf wrote:
Yay, I love when somebody challenges you to do something and you just sit back and hit a fucking home run first time!! great dance track!!!

Wow...thanks! I'm actually having fun with this. It's different from the stuff I'd normally do and has been a learning experience for me. I think I'll add a little EQ and compression when I get home from work and then I'll post it for the Moog people tonight.

b3nsf wrote:
I bet he's thinking, "I need to sell all this crap and buy a modular" hihi

Well the OP in the thread is trying to decide between a Voyager and a small modular to make experimental music with. Being that it's a Moog forum everyone that replied said Voyager. Since I own both I figured I'd give the other side and suggest the modular to which another poster (not the OP) basically said (and I'm paraphrasing) 'you can't make music with a modular'. Then went on to say that he had considered a modular at one point but chose the Voyager because all the modular demos he found online were just bleeps and bloops and no one uses them to make music. So I listed a bunch of people that do and said that a modular is like any other synth and you can make it do whatever you want it to...Which resulted in 'why don't you post an all modular dance tune' (paraphrasing again).

So here I am and you may be right. hihi
RetBody
Putting my mastering hat on, since that seems to be the way the discussion is going -

Back off the mix bus, give the edges of the attacks some breathing room. you could easily have this 6dB lower and still be loud. (Are you running a limiter on the 2-bus or just cooking it, it's hard to tell on the stream?)

There is too much stereo bass information (it makes the club systems sad, and makes cutting vinyl a PITA). Try and keep the stuff under 100Hz mostly in the middle.

Try and define spaces around the bass and kick so each can 'be' a bit more. AI's suggestion for compressor ducking is a good one, or look into carving a bit of a EQ 'valley' between the kick and bass.

A bit more 'air' up top (maybe .5 to 1.5dB ) would help open up some of the 'smallerizing' of the compression.

Good luck kicking those Moog sissies butts. razz
jonkull
Thanks for the tips. I'm hoping to have this wrapped up tonight.
sandyb
make sure to let us know how it went down with the moog guys jon This is fun!
LDT
Quote:
Well the OP in the thread is trying to decide between a Voyager and a small modular to make experimental music with.

Hahaha: "Hmm, that´s a really tough question:hmm:"
- NOT! f u

Oh, I could even mention: I have a modular AND a Voyager, hehe.
jonkull
I got my response...

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is the modular sounds sound cheap, like a synthedit VSTi.

seriously, i just don't get it
parasitk
jonkull wrote:
I got my response...

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is the modular sounds sound cheap, like a synthedit VSTi.

idiots!
jonkull
parasitk wrote:
jonkull wrote:
I got my response...

Quote:

idiots!

Yup. Oh well...I tried...
parasitk
Screw 'em! Thing is... From what I've heard of the more recent Moog's – they sound more like a soft synth than any modular system I've heard! very frustrating
jonkull
I think I just need to let it go at this point before I drive myself crazy. It is a Moog forum full of Moog users after all. It would be like me posting about how great Mac OS is in a Windoze forum and wondering why people don't agree with me. Oh well...at least I know better. lol
b3nsf
I just fooled with a moog prodigy over at my buddy's house.... it does sound super duper fat, so maybe these moog peeps are just biased based on moog filters/oscillators and think any others sound thin...

But I can appreciate all analogs!! 8_)
jonkull
This is going to sound silly but Moog fanboys aside...

I wonder if this is a 'loudness wars' thing. I used compression on individual tracks here and there but didn't use any kind of limiting or compression on my master output track. I did initially but decided to go with just a little EQ and that's it. I just listened to the dude from the Moog forum's myspace page and all of his songs are (while good) VERY VERY LOUD to the point of making my ears tired.

It could also just be the quality of my mad mixing skillz. razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2