MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Guitar Amp for Hardrock/Metal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best Guitar Amp for Hardrock/Metal
Kwote
I want some crunchy shit!

ai
Metaltronix

or get a Marshall and a Lee Jackson mod video/kit.
Kwote
ai wrote:
Metaltronix

or get a Marshall and a Lee Jackson mod video/kit.

any particular Marshall?

I went to the Metaltronix website but I didn’t see any way to purchase one.

Looks like they're sellin those kits on Ebay.
ai
OK,

I talked with Lee. He's not making amps right now, so there aren't any available from him...just mod-kits. http://www.leejackson.com That "LA crunch" sound is from his mods to Marshalls in the '80s. He put that circuit and derivatives into his Metaltronix (only available used) and Lee Jackson Amplification (also used only) amps. He designed for Ampeg for awhile and that circuit is in some of the Ampeg amps from the era. So here's the scoop:

Most of these amps are only available used...except the Marshall reissues.

Marshall: Early JCM800 series single channel amps like the 2203 or the equivalent reissue (not sure what the reissue model # is). Don't get the channel-switchers or amps with reverb because the circuit is messed up on those.

Ampeg: The VL series has the "crunch" circuit. The VL1002 is the best.

Lee Jackson: The XLS series has the crunch circuit.

hope this helps.
-ai
plord
Kwote: there is a key question at play here. How loud are you going to be able to turn it up? SlayerBadger!

A JCM800 might not give up the goods at bedroom volume, and even if it did you'll need to mic it up which, as I am learning, is a complicated science experiment. So what's your use case here? You gonna play this stuff live and loud? Or is this part of the home studio production?
panda30y
How loud and how much are you willing to spend? Would you like a head/cabinet suggestion or do you already have a cabinet? If so, what cabinet do you have? Or would you simply want a combo amp?
Kwote
plord wrote:
Kwote: there is a key question at play here. How loud are you going to be able to turn it up? SlayerBadger!

A JCM800 might not give up the goods at bedroom volume, and even if it did you'll need to mic it up which, as I am learning, is a complicated science experiment. So what's your use case here? You gonna play this stuff live and loud? Or is this part of the home studio production?

heh. yeah. at home for now.

cost as i'm finding is all relative so don't let that stop anyone from suggesting what they think is best.

i need fantasy material as well as something to get started on. so from low to high price range is fine.
Kwote
oh and i don't have a cab or head. so both.
felix
I've been debating selling my Mesa Triple Rectifier head (the original two channel model) and Marshall 4x12 cab (vintage 30s) for a while now. It's loud and sounds quite different between bedroom volume vs. show volume, but it's a killer amp. I'd be really sad to see it go, since it's been with me since '99-2000, but I know it would be going to a good home.

I'm only selling it because I don't play in bands anymore and it's been sitting in my studio pretty much unused for the last two years. Dead Banana
Kwote
felix wrote:
I've been debating selling my Mesa Triple Rectifier head (the original two channel model) and Marshall 4x12 cab (vintage 30s) for a while now. It's loud and sounds quite different between bedroom volume vs. show volume, but it's a killer amp. I'd be really sad to see it go, since it's been with me since '99-2000, but I know it would be going to a good home.

I'm only selling it because I don't play in bands anymore and it's been sitting in my studio pretty much unused for the last two years. Dead Banana

you don't play guitar at all anymore?
felix
Kwote wrote:
you don't play guitar at all anymore?

oh no, I do, but these days it's always through my little epiphone valve jr at home, which is why the t-rec doesn't get fired up anymore. Rockin' Banana!
Dragonslair
If you can find one, an old Seymour Duncan Convertible is a versatile amp for the home studio.
Kwote
Dragonslair wrote:
If you can find one, an old Seymour Duncan Convertible is a versatile amp for the home studio.

wow. that's a real interesting amp man. i'll definitely keep it in mind.

thanks. thumbs up
bar|none
I'm selling a Rivera 55-12. Just push Ninja-boost on the pedal and stand back.

All new groove tubes and just rebiased. Amazing sounding amp.
Dragonslair
Kwote wrote:
Dragonslair wrote:

wow. that's a real interesting amp man. i'll definitely keep it in mind.

thanks. thumbs up

A buddy of mine has one, said we would have to pry it from his cold dead hands.
..... I may have to kill him soon eek!
REwire
I just picked up a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 and it's the best for death metal I've tried. That is if you like the Lamb of God sound or other famous Rectifier using bands. I was using a Rivera Venus 3 and it sounded amazing but more smooth than crunchy. There are two channels in the Boogie Express and contour levels that give you that dip in the middle of EQ.

Doing palm picking, it sounds like a machine gun, Fuck yah! Die Motherfuckers, Die! Dead Banana Rockin' Banana!
tragedybysyntax
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAD100VT

this fucker is an okay amp turned down low..... open that bitch up at about 3 oclock and WOW!!!! I've got a track on my album that's about finished that I double tracked guitars with this thing and It's very "Diezelish" Tones that sound alot like the perfect circle album. smile
XXXEsq
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (Van Nuys in the early 70s to be exact), I had 2 stacks of Marshall Super Lead 100 heads and dual 4x12 cabintets. Needless to say, it rocked....
Even more needless to say my hearing now sucks....
But what a glorious sound it was Rockin' Banana!
Kwote
I've settled on the Carvin V3 head

and the Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier Cab

Now I just need cash to make it reality. lol
Chrome Dinette
I had a VHT Deliverance 120 for a while and in the "more" mode it definitely did the metal crunch thing very well.

I tend to like a little less crunch for my basic sound and then tweak that with pedals, and the "less" mode wasn't quite to my liking so I sold it and ended up building a 2203 type amp.
Kent
So, Kwoter... you decided to hold of on a Fucking Fucker then?
Kwote
Kent wrote:
So, Kwoter... you decided to hold of on a Fucking Fucker then?

Too expensive. No track record. Not a metasonix fan. :ducks from stones cast: lol
JohnLRice
Build a kit maybe??? Mr. Green
http://metroamp.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=44
TrashWaveform
I play through a shit ton of effects both stomp box style and rack style. Its also usually split into multiple channels. So I never use an amp. Sometimes I might dial in simulations for the head or cab on my RP-500 but thats not really often. The final point is going straight into the mixing console and out the loud speakers. After my channels are properly panned the result is better then a cab I think but I am considering a "clear" cab for live feedback. Any genre including hard rock and metal works in this method but being in a metal band without an amp its hard to get respect. Any metal band I have played keys in it seemed like the guitarists had to finance a stack or GTFO of the band.
slovo
When most people refer to "the metal sound" they're talking about Mesa rectifiers. But not necessarily the speakers. I'm not really sure why you would want to pay for a Mesa cabinet. And I'm not really sure how that jives with your head choice either. Of course, previous posters have hit the nail on the head -- you need to decide based on your venue and your budget, more than anything. A lot of small tube combo amps will shred with authority if you replace the tubes and the speaker wisely. Most importantly, they'll do it at volumes that are a) tolerable indoors and b) easy to record. But for all I know, you're preparing for a stadium gig and have gotten additional advice from elsewhere/research. Or, I guess if you just want to know what to buy "when you're famous", then whatever floats your boat! Just wanted to make sure you were clear on those details. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2