MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Krell
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Krell
arnoux
I see thanks!
HueMonContact
[s]http://soundcloud.com/voltagectrlr/krell-sketch-01[/s]

Here's one of my first Krell patches, I tried to keep it in the same sonic neighborhood as Mr. Barton's on this one. I plan on exploring it more and adding my twist to it.
VortexRanger
shortsleeves welcome to the forum! Definitely don't be shy about asking any questions you might have, people here will practically fall over themselves trying to answer them for you! Thanks for your kind words about my patches too!

HueMonContact very nice, what VCO are you using there?
HueMonContact
VortexRanger wrote:
shortsleeves welcome to the forum! Definitely don't be shy about asking any questions you might have, people here will practically fall over themselves trying to answer them for you! Thanks for your kind words about my patches too!

HueMonContact very nice, what VCO are you using there?

I'm using the Anti-O Fmed by the Unkle-O

Thanks

You pieces are cool!

Here's one more ...

[s]http://soundcloud.com/voltagectrlr/krell-sketch-02[/s]
VortexRanger
Man, I gotsta get some walekko back into my life.
strettara
Is there a defining characteristic to the krell patch idea in euro or does it just apply to any generative patch? I like all of these, just wondering.

For instance HueMonContact seems to be using the Doepfer 149-1 to generate his CV's. I don't hear that so directly in the others (if I'm not mistaken).
VortexRanger
strettara wrote:
Is there a defining characteristic to the krell patch idea in euro or does it just apply to any generative patch? I like all of these, just wondering.

For instance HueMonContact seems to be using the Doepfer 149-1 to generate his CV's. I don't hear that so directly in the others (if I'm not mistaken).

Well I don't think it's as much about the modules used as the ideas behind it. In terms of modules the 149-1 is definitely based on sections of the old 266, as is the module I used, the WCRS. But I think any clocked random module should do the trick, and even a random source that isn't clocked could probably be used via S/H.

I think the main idea behind the Krell patch in general (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is random pitches, but rhythms that speed up and slow down over time in an organic way. I tried to explain it earlier in the thread:

vortexranger wrote:
I think the key to this patch is that the only hard-synced clock is that EOC to the Random Voltage's pulse input, (which if you don't have a clockable random you could fudge with an S/H) . Also that the random voltage is mostly used for pitch and timbre, not for rhythm, whereas the CV over the rhythm is sourced from non-synced, not-exactly-repeating but not random envelopes (could be CVed LFOs instead) that are related but not locked together. Thus you get this kind of macro-rhythm that sort of repeats but doesn't really.
strettara
I get that. But it does seem like this could describe a lot of generative patches, don't you think? Anyway, nice work.

BTW - the wiki entry on the Forbidden Planet is quite interesting, it seems that ring modulation was used very heavily in creating the soundtrack, as it was in a lot of 50's to 70's electronic music, I think. Plus what we'd probably think of as taped-based concrete music techniques.
exper
I don't know. To me these have seemed a lot more articulate and musical. There's definitely more going on than just setting a random source on 'go'.
VortexRanger
The only set-in-stone idea behind the Krell patch, so far as I know, is "let's see if we can make Krell music with a modular," so there are probably more than a few ways to skin the particular cat, but the patch that Todd Barton came up with is a good jumping off point for probably a lot of other generative-type patches.

After messing with the initial patch a bunch, I have built a number of iterations of it, mostly with more than just the one sound source, and often with more constant motion, where the basic "Krell" often features extended silences.

Here's one where I have two sound sources - two channels of an e350 - and instead of one envelope opening the LPG I use the quadrature mode of the Quadra to open two channels of it, so they are always overlapping and there's not much silence in the interim. Having several other unlinked envelopes modulating their times and other random voltages going to the 1v/oct are a couple features held over from the original, but I also added some layers of Phonogene and some more sine waves with influence from the same envelopes, and I also quantized that random voltage for a slightly more "tonal tonality."

Whether it's a "Krell" patch is up in the air. We're getting far from Forbidden Planet I think, but I'm definitely entering some new territory as far as my personal patching history is concerned. For me personally I am usually most interested in the ways different rhythms interact with each other in the different "branches" of a patch, like the intersecting melody lines of Baroque music but on a much more complicated timbral level. The base Krell patch leaves most of the "bones" of its rhythm in the background, turning the wheels without being directly heard. If I were to redo this patch I'd probably try to find a way to draw those bones a bit back from audibility (specifically I think some of those slower envelopes are a little too much in evidence, which compromises some of the mystery). Might also add some more motion to the wave selection on the 350 since at those times when the phase modulation is static it begins to feel a bit repetitive.

Anyway:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/vortex-ranger/breath[/s]
strettara
I think this last one may be a bridge too far - too much going on without much connection between the various elements. Not very organic. Then again, one would expect the music of an alien civilisation that disappeared half a million years ago (leaving only recordings without concert notes) to be like that....

Here's a rather more contemplative piece:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/strettara/sunset[/s]
HueMonContact
strettara wrote:

I used the random looping sequencer to generate my cv's clocked by the Zorlon Cannon... Maths to Optomix.

I'm really enjoying everyone's contribution. Great stuff wigglers!
strettara
Really?! I could have - would have - sworn it was the 149. Very interesting.
Hosaka
All this Krell stuff makes me wish I was a Krell waah So good muzak...
Arcade Sinusoid
Loving the krell patch. Wanted to join the w00t
[s]http://soundcloud.com/def-rebel/def-krell-1[/s]
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Wow! I am really digging this Krell muzak. It's making me want to get a Buchla (or maybe I can build one...?)
Leoespejo
Inspiring music and patch.... thanks to wigglers for sharing. we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
strettara
I have to admit that I didn't really follow any patching philosophy, simply tried to do something that sounded Krellish.

I watched Forbidden Planet again after what must be at least 30 years - great stuff, especially the pontificating Dr. Morbius who speaks as if he's reading from an encyclopaedia all the time.
Arcade Sinusoid
Smore krellin' Happy Friday Wigglers
[s]http://soundcloud.com/def-rebel/def-krell-2-electric-remix[/s]
strettara
Long before its crew awakes from hypersleep, the ship passes through a shell of decaying, confused radio transmissions. Is this the music of an alien race, long forgotten to time? Or perhaps an ancient alien news report, broadcast to the uncaring emptiness? No one now alive can tell...

[s]http://soundcloud.com/strettara/approach[/s]
Leoespejo
I think this Krell thing could be dangerous...........

Orbless
strettara
That would be the silence and darkness of the void between the stars, no doubt.
Leoespejo
strettara wrote:
That would be the silence and darkness of the void between the stars, no doubt.

Ups i'm sorry i forgot to uncheck the private box when uploaded confused

Now it should work......

Arcade Sinusoid
Again running Bionic Lester in stereo
screaming goo yo [s]http://soundcloud.com/def-rebel/def-krell-3-stereo[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 2 of 18