MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Krell
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Krell
VortexRanger
Like most slobbery Buchla-forum lurkers I couldn't help but notice that every fifth thread up in there had the word "Krell" in the title. After a bit of exploration of the many variations on the subtle evolving patch I decided to try out my own version in (mostly) Euro. I'm helped out a bit by my 5U Sputnik WCRS, which is definitely based on the original Buchla Source of Uncertainty, but I would wager that any fluctuating and clocked random sources could also do the trick.

I quickly gave up on trying to make it sound just like the Buchla patches I'd heard - not only would that invite disdain for Euro, but it wouldn't be much fun. For the recording I did not tweak a single knob, and there's still quite a bit of rhythmic and timbral variation, particularly in the last third of the recording when we hear some "breathy" tones.

Sound source is the FMVDO->Dr. Octature->Optomix. CV provided by Quadra (all four channels), WCRS, and Rene with some RCD and Maths help. A pinch of reverb.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/walkerfarrell/eurokrell[/s]

EDIT: And a more complex patch with the same core:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/walkerfarrell/eurokrell-2[/s]
mudlogger
@VortexRanger this is wonderful - lots of great textures - great work.

Todd Barton was really helpful in showing how he made the Krell patch.

Heres my own Krell - a bit crunchier + noisier!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/mudlogger/room-with-no-view[/s]

http://soundcloud.com/mudlogger/room-with-no-view
VortexRanger
@mudlogger nice, the crunchier textures make your fast passages a lot more interesting than mine! I kept slowing down my base envelope speed, gotta evolve that aspect a bit I think.
exper
Guys, would you mind posting your patches and settings? I'm trying to understand the concept but it definitely helps with pics!

I don't have a Sputnik 266 clone (I wish!) but I do have a wogglebug, a plan b m24 and a random looping sequencer (Turing machine).
emdot_ambient
The original Krell patch:

Kent
VortexRanger wrote:
not only would that invite disdain for Euro, but it wouldn't be much fun.

I can't see that being the case regarding the 1st point.

On the 2nd point, well, that's up to you obviously.

A damn fine patch, BTW. Great sounding.
VortexRanger
Kent wrote:
VortexRanger wrote:
not only would that invite disdain for Euro, but it wouldn't be much fun.

I can't see that being the case regarding the 1st point.

On the 2nd point, well, that's up to you obviously.

A damn fine patch, BTW. Great sounding.

Tongue slightly in cheek there. Mainly given that it would never sound exactly the same. I actually do have a great deal of fun trying to match sounds exactly, it presents a cool challenge. But ultimately I like to create something new! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thanks for your kind words all!
VortexRanger
exper wrote:
Guys, would you mind posting your patches and settings? I'm trying to understand the concept but it definitely helps with pics!

I don't have a Sputnik 266 clone (I wish!) but I do have a wogglebug, a plan b m24 and a random looping sequencer (Turing machine).

I am having all kinds of trouble with the Muff's image uploader, so I can't put a pic up right now, but I will go ahead and detail the patch for you.

The FMVDO has quantization on but interval ratios off. Its output goes to the Optomix, whose output goes the the Dr. Octature. All four Quadra envelopes are in cycle and linear modes. Envelope 1, both knobs at about 12 o'clock, to the control input on the Optomix. Envelope 2, both knobs about 3 o'clock, CVs the attack time on Env1. Env 3, both knobs about 1 o'clock, CVs the decay time of Env1. Env4, knobs at 2 and 3 o'clock, CVs the Index on the FMVDO (knob setting is 0). EOC1 clocks the RCD, which is set to 8 clocks with no auto-reset. /1 clocks Stored Random Voltages on the WCRS, whose output is attenuated and then goes to 1v/oct on the FMVDO. Divisions /6 and /8 clock the X and Y clocks on the Rene, whose output goes through Maths channel 4 for slew and then to the Ratio CV on the FMVDO (knob setting about 12 o'clock). The WCRS also has two unclocked Fluctuating Random Voltages, one of which CVs the cutoff frequency on Dr. Octature and the attack time of Quadra Env3, and the other of which CVs Env3's decay time.

So there's a lot of inter-related stuff happening but not much that's actually locked down in terms of rhythm, which I guess is how we get a sense of breathing more than heartbeat.
VortexRanger

So here's a pic of it all patched up, thanks to wetterberg for linking me to imgur and relieving my woes!

Apologies for:

1. the crappy iPhone pic
2. the fact that it seems not to have rotated even though I told it to
3. I forgot to mention that I also used Ch1 of Maths, EOR output, to clock the RCD, said function triggered by the EOC1 on Quadra, whose output seems a bit finicky sometimes.
VortexRanger
And here is some more EuroKrell goodness, same basic patch but with added layers from the E350 and Phonogene and help from the PEG as well.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/vortex-ranger/eurokrell-2[/s]

Adding link to OP as well.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
That was lovely. applause Bravo!
exper
Awesome. Thanks for the patch tips and demos.
arnoux
Uh that's great, love the sound! Thanks for posting!
VortexRanger
Thanks guys! w00t

exper I'd love to hear what you come up with; post it here when you have a chance?
exper
VortexRanger wrote:
Thanks guys! w00t

exper I'd love to hear what you come up with; post it here when you have a chance?

Ok, I will. Bear in mind I only have half of my system running currently while I wait for my second Goike boat to arrive. But I'll do my best. I'm pretty much on the verge of ordering a Quadra and expander today as well as something to replace the Piston Honda. Can't decide if I should get a Rubicon or stay wavetable and get an e350.
arnoux
Is the quadra here heavely involved? Can a Quad ADSR with eor eoa and so on do the job?
lms.ktp
Take a look at the original post in the buchla subforum, as I understood, the whole patch is based on a CV AD ??
exper
lms.ktp wrote:
Take a look at the original post in the buchla subforum, as I understood, the whole patch is based on a CV AD ??

That's what I noticed as well. Currently I only have Maths for that, hence wanting a Quadra.
shortsleeves
@VortexRanger - those are lovely patches! I've been listening to Todd Barton's Krell patches for some time, and was hoping something similar could be achieved with Eurorack modules. I can't see why it could not be possible, but a living patch, such as yours (x3), is more than enough to convince me :-)

I'm a newbie myself (don't even have anything close to a "system" yet…), but I'm lurking on the forum here and there, trying to gather information, and the best way (at least for me) is to find a patch/sound I like, and try to understand it. This thread has been most helpful (though, I must say, I'm far from comprehending everything that goes on here :-)

Cheers,
Lukasz
VortexRanger
Quadra is definitely not required though. It doesn't use any of the quadrature functions or the OR outputs, and only one envelope needs an EOC, which even if you don't have that you could probably fudge by triggering an AD with a clock (instead of cycling it), multing the trigger, and CVing said clock along with the envelope's rise and fall times.

The other functions that I used the Quadra for could be filled by other modules, LFOs for example.

I think the key to this patch is that the only hard-synced clock is that EOC to the Random Voltage's pulse input, (which if you don't have a clockable random you could fudge with an S/H) . Also that the random voltage is mostly used for pitch and timbre, not for rhythm, whereas the CV over the rhythm is sourced from non-synced, not-exactly-repeating but not random envelopes (could be CVed LFOs instead) that are related but not locked together. Thus you get this kind of macro-rhythm that sort of repeats but doesn't really.
arnoux
Thanks for the explanation, I sold my juno 106 and now I have the budget for a new osc, listening to this piece of beauty I think I'm going to buy a FMVDO! Can't wait! It's peanut butter jelly time!
VortexRanger
FMVDO is the jam! My favorite new vco since I got my e350!
exper
VortexRanger wrote:
FMVDO is the jam! My favorite new vco since I got my e350!

Gah. You're not making this easy on me!
arnoux
Exper what's the big module below the QMMG in your avatar?
exper
arnoux wrote:
Exper what's the big module below the QMMG in your avatar?

That would be a DIY serge quad slope. I like it, but I tend to use it for slew and trigger delays, etc. It's also a pain to patch as a cycling envelope, especially if you want exponential, hence the intellijel Quadra purchase. I like really evolving patches so the more function generators, the merrier.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 1 of 18