MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla News !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Buchla News !
momo
don h wrote:
citizen mori wrote:
ahh, vindication for those passionate towards analog controlled digital! the return of the 259e is absolutely wicked good news, yes?

I never quite understood why it was discontinued; I'm guessing it will be far more embraced this time around I hope.

Agreed, I think it will be celebrated this time around. Back in 2005 it was probably the reviews that led people to think the 259e was a poorly designed product. The SOS review in particular was rather damning confused It came about so soon since the 200e's inception I wonder if the 259e was denied a chance to flourish first time around.
///OSS
WOW that 24 cab is just perfect. and that 259e is just beyond sick, I cant wait to pick up a setup with a pair of those applause
don h
I think the SOS review may have coincided with some initial expectations
of the 200e being a reissue of 200's, instead of being a new instrument.

The 259e, in particular, is so wonderful in providing the physical interaction
of digital waveshaping.
All one really needs to do is play around with the warp function to really appreciate it.
I was initially confused how it worked, because I kept reading the tranfer function referred to as tables, I was unclear what warp meant.
The idea is the 259e begins with a generated sine, which one can then distort.
Reading up on waveshape synthesis, it turns out it is very efficient, yet very capable. For example, offering much of what one might associate with FM, but different.
Going further, one could really do lots with this technique, it's pretty common in PD/Max/MSP, Csound, easy to learn about, but on the 200e, it's unique because it's physical.
I'd think odd music person would want to look closely at the 259e.
sandyb
don h wrote:
I'd think odd music person would want to look closely at the 259e.

great quote don! i think i'm going to get a t-shirt made with this smile
some interesting new stuff from buchla. i'm certainly intrigued to see the 259e available again.

sandy
don h
reflecting just a little bit, my comment may sell the 200e short.
Because it has been well designed for MIDI, tonal music folks could greatly benefit as well; the 259e is extremely animated virtually acoustically rich, yet thanks to being digital stable and with presetting, it can play nice equally with precision pitch and very rough approximate pitch musicians.
cbm
don h wrote:
I think the SOS review may have coincided with some initial expectations
of the 200e being a reissue of 200's, instead of being a new instrument.

It seems to me that many of the critiques in the SOS review could have be leveled at a strict 200 series reissue, too. The reviewer seemed to want the Buchla to be a "traditional" subtractive analog modular. It isn't. It never was.

One of my favorite quotes from the review, which is quite telling:
Quote:
You'll notice that there aren't any filter Cutoff Frequency and Resonance knobs. This isn't the only way in which the 200e fails to conform to the 'accepted' model of analogue synthesis, as we'll see.
The reviewer was trying to review a different system than the one in front of him, IMO, and that created many "virtual" problems. The Keyboard review was much more even-handed, I think. Jim Aiken was able to review the 200e as it was, not review the clash between his preconceptions about what he thought it should be and what it actually is...

The SOS review is also full of a bunch of factual errors (e.g. power supply rail confusion, 3.5 mm jacks, bananas might snap off, jack colors, etc.), but those pale in comparison to to the conceptual blocks involved, I think.
cbm
LDT wrote:
Notice how wonderful their absence is here:

When I ordered my system, the marine plywood ends were still the standard. One of the main reasons I ordered the fancy wood ends is that they used the almost invisible brass latches, and didn't have the visual distraction of the big latches.

If you have the 200e "road" case, and are careful when moving the folded 200e into and out of the case, you don't really need latches at all. I have the brass latches on my cabinet, and they work well for me, but I always end up cradling the folded 200e while moving it to its road case anyway, so they aren't 100% necessary.
cbm wrote:
The SOS review is also full of a bunch of factual errors (e.g. power supply rail confusion, 3.5 mm jacks, bananas might snap off, jack colors, etc.), but those pale in comparison to to the conceptual blocks involved, I think.

Depending of who does the sos reviews,but ussualy for analog or modular its always the same guy,hes 'reviews' did always sucks ass ,he will ALWAYS promote UK made stuff first what makes his 'reviews' totaly useless

He also cannot use modular synths.
science
I don't really mind the latches, but I also don't really worry much about how a cabinet looks as long as it's designed well functionally and has a layout I'm comfortable with seriously, i just don't get it

I like the new cabinet... but I'm glad it wasn't available when I placed my order. I probably would have ended up going with it instead of the 18 panel cabinet, and now that I've put more thought into it since ordering, I'm really starting to be drawn to the idea of portability in a modular system.
chrisso
Aaaargh, the mic input is actually a cannon connector.
I use mic inputs for everything except actual mics, therefore it's easier if the input is a 1/4" jack, like every other modular mic input I've ever come across (Arp, Doepfer etc).
At least i was hoping for one of those doo hickey's that combine a cannon with a jack.
Oh well, I'll definitely be buying this module anyway, and using a jack to cannon lead to input drum machines and audio from my DAW. waah

As to the SOS review....
It's been a while since I read it.
I can't remember it being too negative. I think they were just stumped by the price of a system (in UK pounds) and expecting it to be gold and jewel encrusted.
I'm pretty sure an SOS review wouldn't change the opinion of anyone who had a few thousand to spend. Those potential buyers would most likely do more research.
chrisso wrote:
I'm pretty sure an SOS review wouldn't change the opinion of anyone who had a few thousand to spend. Those potential buyers would most likely do more research.

Totaly agree
amnesia
I am not sure which way to go now...I am not taken by the 24's cabinet look, especially the 2 different woods and I guess it would be still portable....i think i may get the 225e in its wood box and a powered 6 panel, that way i can have the 6 panel at the front. But then not sure if the powered 6 panel will allow saving to memory as its not technically connected.???

The new 259e is very exciting, I wonder if its just a firmware issue to get the extra sounds out of it???
amnesia
after much though i will go with this set up :-)

i wonder how the rings of the 22e will work on the top row and if that black line is a light or we still use the snake lights?

yes Chris it should be a 259e and 261 e razz

///OSS
my goodness i cant stop thinking about that 24 cab, I wouldn't change a thing other than replacing 2 of the 261's with 2 259e's DONE..lol

perfect setup and I love they included the Infinite Phase shifter in it we're not worthy
AD
After a year of modular synthesizer soul-searching, from Blacet to Doepfer to Serge to Modcan, I've decided to get a buchla system. I had everything planned and laid out.

Now, of course, I have to make the decision of 259e or 261e. very frustrating
cbm
AD wrote:
Now, of course, I have to make the decision of 259e or 261e.

What is this "or" that you speak of?
don h
cbm wrote:
AD wrote:
Now, of course, I have to make the decision of 259e or 261e.

What is this "or" that you speak of?

Very true, you want 2 of each!
don h
If interested, this song is an example of what sort of sine twisting the 259e can do:
http://share.ovi.com/media/donh.public/donh.10067
amnesia
get
1 259e
1 261e
1 258
1 Zoe

I have ordered a second 258 and am not sure if I will keep it or not , they are great :-)
:-)
Lyonel
Amnesia... there is a problem with your configuration... bottom left... seems like a hole... whistlin'
ndkent
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
What a great time to be building up a system. Chris Muirs Ratchet, the ZOe, the smaller mixer and old digital oscillator and all of this! I'm hyper and I need to start saving in earnest. I figure if I buy a module every month or two I should have a full system in 7 months (I am gradually buying stuff second hand)

Also, anyone on here who wants to sell 200e stuff second hand, kindly think of me when you do, if I am able I'd be very appreciative of the kick-down.

Mmmm... that was my plan, but the second hand stuff tends to be practically full price, and unless you get lucky or I'm always unlucky, Don may or may not ship your first modules by the 7 month mark. I'm nearly 8 months right now.
amnesia
yes I figure if something else comes out i can grab it :-)

I havent bought the 210e yet because I kind of feel its not really needed. I get by without it now, although the 258 is much louder than the 259e and 261e.
Lyonel
amnesia wrote:
the 258 is much louder than the 259e and 261e.

Do you attenuate it with the small 227e mixer section or directly with a 292e ?
amnesia
either or

i was talking more about feeding the dry signal into the fms on any of the oscillators
sorry wasnt real clear
Lyonel
ndkent wrote:
unless you get lucky or I'm always unlucky, Don may or may not ship your first modules by the 7 month mark. I'm nearly 8 months right now.

i don't really understand that ...
Do you think he has forgotten you or perhaps your command is very unique ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4