MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stuff we need...... Group buys!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Stuff we need...... Group buys!
samuraipizzacat29
Hey guys

There's a handful of things we all need at this time. They are:

THAT chips from the l-1 vocoder.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56280

Subminiature Switches from Misc. Projects (mostly from L-1 Designs)
SPDT on-on (mutant, tube vca)
DPDT on-on (ac/dc mixer, vocoder)
DPDT on-on-on (mutant)

the dpdt 3 pos. with the center on for the mutant is the hardest to get. I have a quote from taiway (attached). we can get ANY switch from taiway, it's just a matter of meeting the min. order quantity. Which may or may not be difficult depending on what you need. If there's any other item you need, just email me. I'll put it on the list, but there's no guarantees it'll happen. If nothing else, you'll see if someone else needs what you need.

Right now I just need to gather who needs what. the switches need to be paid in advance and have a 30 day lead time. THAT stuff we can get any time. I don't know if any of this will be able to happen.

Pricing structure will be the same as the 3rd round of vactrols:
(Cost + transaction cost) *1.035
the only variable in there is shipping which will have to be at my discretion if you're going heavy on everything. Keep in mind that over 4 lbs means it has to go priority and costs about 8x more. It costs me the same to go to the post office whether it's a big transaction or a little one.

this is just an experiment for now, so we'll have to see how it goes.

just send me an email:
nate"at"paperproductsmusic.com with your username, paypal email, and what you need. I'll try and get an excel sheet up with everyone's needs and updated daily-ish.

Nate
samuraipizzacat29
Dego
I fucking love you!

Great and now for calculating the total of switches.

thumbs up
samuraipizzacat29
I really hope this isn't a trainwreck. It's highly likely I'm getting over my head here, but we won't know until we try! w00t
samuraipizzacat29
this video sums up how I feel about this thread: (quite literally actually because it for some reason popped into my head while typing)

emdot_ambient
hmmm..... I don't know what THAT chips he's using or how many would be needed to do one of his Vocoders.

It would also help to know what kind of price we're looking at. I'd like to order some of the THAT chips, but can't really commit to #s without being able to estimate likely cost.

As for the switches, I always use the really expensive NKK M-Series switches with a flatted bat. Costs me tons-o but compared to all other switches I've tried, there's no comparison in feel. YMMV of course.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the DPDT on-on-on actually a SP3T switch? For example, like the M2024 from NKK, which is set up exactly like the DPDT on-on-on in this drawing (can't remember if it's like Type 1 or Type 2):
emdot_ambient
PS, that video was one of the most painful things I've tried to watch in a long time. Please stop it hihi
samuraipizzacat29
"everybody wants some!" smile

the switches I had the rep cross reference so we should be good as far as that goes. Still, we'll get that straight and post in the thread if there's any concerns.

the purpose of the thread is if you need something you think the group may need - fire away. someone's at least got to organize and post to the thread. We know we need the THAT chips (I might chime in for some THAT340 for something I'm doing privately) and the switches we're still not 100% sure on (again, see the thread). yet, the problem is knowing if we can even do it.

cost-wise, you can reference the THAT corp website or do whatever for finding cost on any component you may want. If I do it, everyone should have a rough idea of what it's going to cost (roughly $3-5 on top of all the other transaction costs) but anyone can take the information and run with it.
hexinverter
This thread has my shitty stamp of approval! (as if that means anything) -- glad to see it coming together. applause
fonik
re on-on-on: i never considered them as hard-to-get!? i.e. take a look at the rs-components portfolio. they have quite a few. i recently ordered this one for 2.50 EUR/pcs.
home_listening
fonik wrote:
re on-on-on: i never considered them as hard-to-get!? i.e. take a look at the rs-components portfolio. they have quite a few. i recently ordered this one for 2.50 EUR/pcs.

They are easy enough to find, but from farnell shipped to Australia they are $8.50 each!
Luka
nice work

ill shoot you an email in the next few weeks
can we get a rough price breaks for THAT IC?
hexinverter
Luka wrote:
nice work

ill shoot you an email in the next few weeks
can we get a rough price breaks for THAT IC?

Take a look at THAT's site and compare to Mouser! Mouser is like $8 a chip for the one you need 24 of, and THAT is about $5 or $6 so it's a pretty good savings.
Luka
hrm - i built a unit with THAT commpressors and from memory i bought direct there before with low numbers - seems like you can only buy in 1000s now

maybe im loosing my mind (likely)
L-1
fonik wrote:

This one will doesn't fits in a PCB. Spacing must be 5.08mm or 0.2" between columns and 2.54mm or 0.1" between rows. These called sub-miniature.
samuraipizzacat29
the thing with all of this stuff is it "can" be had. It's just like the switches I need for the mutant are only easily found as sealed and so cost about 5-8x as much as they should. And the THAT stuff can be had in relatively low quantities (their order minimums are 25) but there are pretty significant breaks when ordering in quantities.
I.E.:
Mouser's prices - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/THAT/4301P20-I/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cg4 0gLeF3mvJiNOQhHcZ
THAT Corp Page - http://www.thatcorp.com/4301_Analog_Engine_Dynamics_Processor.shtml#pa ckaging

and they don't list prices for anything over the min, so I'll get that quoted. and I think the prices will be MUCH sweeter if we get to the 1k or so that is likely. I still need some 2181/2180 or whatever for the quad vcas anyway. some as in like 80 (doing a little run). and whatever else you need from THAT. just fire away and I'll try and find a good way to post the info for everyone to use.

For now, the point is to gather what people actually need. If you want to share a different source, go for it! If you want to organize something on your own based on the information, go for it! I'm just trying to organize the info in one place so that we can try and figure out the best way to source things. Even paying $2 for a switch when we could be paying $.50 is just kind of silly. I for one, hate paying a penny more than I absolutely have to for something, and everyone here is respectful of each other's time, so it's a win-win. on its own, the price is useless, but if we find a way to be smart about it, we could all save some serious coin.

^again - I don't know if that's really possible, but I figure it's worth a try.
L-1
I've found for $1.19 http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MULTICOMP-2MD6T1B5M2RE-/26-2160
It's too cheap but part number is correct. I think it's needed to call them and ask.
samuraipizzacat29
L-1 wrote:
I've found for $1.19 http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MULTICOMP-2MD6T1B5M2RE-/26-2160
It's too cheap but part number is correct. I think it's needed to call them and ask.

yep - that's the one we've found, but I think some are still looking for a way to get for a fair price (I don't know the individual user's needs, but I know I've been asked to help). I have to call them to see what kind of stock they have to make sure the source will hold up.

edit: I realize I said the only ones readily available were sealed - but I ordered my dpdt from mcm a few days ago and will report back when they come in.
L-1
I've looked at their website http://www.mcmelectronics.com
They have good assortment and best prices for Multicomp switches I ever seen.
samuraipizzacat29
agh - that's right, this is why I was still working on this:

ringstone wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:
MCM Electronics has the DPDT sub mini switch. Very inexpensive too.
https://www.mcmelectronics.com item # 2MD6T1B5M2RE

Unfortunately, they don't ship outside the US... these switches are available at Element 14 here in Australia (Farnell) but at almost $8 each!!! very frustrating They come from the UK warehouse but at around 3x the cost...

Anybody have any other possible source?

Cheers
Blair
fonik
L-1 wrote:
These called sub-miniature.

Dead Banana
fonik
farnell then. 8_)
samuraipizzacat29
fonik wrote:
farnell then. 8_)

$20 shipping charge to the US.
$8 per switch to Australia.

Mr. Green
hexinverter
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:
fonik wrote:
farnell then. 8_)

$20 shipping charge to the US.
$8 per switch to Australia.

Mr. Green

+1 to that, us Yankees/Canucks need us some nice cheap switches! This is fun!
regenbot
i'm in for some switches This is fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2