MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SOCKETS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author SOCKETS
jack multiple
Am thinking of mounting sockets without the socket board and just wiring them, is there a cheaper alternative to the Swithcraft? have noticed an open jack socket for well under a £,

do these sockets follow the same principal as audio cables in that the more expensive the cable the better the sound quality, cheap cables sound bad . To my ears anyway.

Basically want to know what i can get away with and would it ccompromise sound quality.?
Bob1991
In my Oakley modular, I used "Lumberg closed stereo jack" sockets, which feature a pretty neat quality for a decent price. The nut is a little bit smaller, and has a bit more shine than the Switchcraft sockets.

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Lumberg-jack-closed-Stereo.html

They don't fit the socketboards, but most Oakley modules aren't hard to wire up manually. I used the original Switchcraft sockets only for my VCO modules (with socketboards), which contain a lot of wiring, and are a small nightmare to wire up manually ;-)

Personally, I don't think there's difference in sound quality between a socket of $1, or $3. It is just a tiny bit of metal connecting the patchcable to a bit of wire, or a pcb track. In jack sockets there's no such thing as better insulation, oxygen free copper etc. as with professional audio cables. Maybe the more expensive socket has got a better reliability (after thousands of times plugging cables in and out), but that's all..
jack multiple
ok thanks for that. i think i'll just dig deep and get the switchcraft ones and avoid the wiring nightmare, which i hate anyway. thx.
Synthbuilder
I think you can use these for direct replacements for the Switchcraft sockets:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/6-35mm-Switched-jack-sock et-63507

Try one first but you will save a large amount buying these instead of the 112APCX.

However, Switchcraft do make nice sockets. They feel better, look better and they, or at least the pre-RoHS ones, last a very long time. I get 1960s Moogs with them on and they often still work just fine. And if they have gone a little grubby a quick wipe down with IPA will clean them up very well.

Tony
jack multiple
glad i spotted your reply, was just about to put my parts order in. yep i'll get a few of the cheapies and one switchcraft and compare and consider.
thanks for the link.
ashleym
I have used the Rapid ones for the interface on my banana based modular and they work well- ie solder up well and are mechanically good. I am sure the Switchcraft are a step up again and, as Tony says, we know they will be working in the long term. As this is diy, you pays your money and you makes your choice.....I am happy with the Rapids. A good idea checking out a couple, please report back.
magman
I've found that I much prefer the feel and quality of Switchcraft sockets over quite a few clones that I have tried.

Fortunately, I have found a UK based distributor that is quite a lot cheaper than regular suppliers, like Farnell. I've bought hundreds of Switchcraft sockets from Action Hardware and would thoroughly recommend them.

http://www.actionhardware.co.uk/sales/product_info.php?cPath=157_182&p roducts_id=1434

Hope this helps

Regards

Magman
ashleym
Good link, many thanks.
jack multiple
yes that is a good link! thanks
synthcube
magman wrote:
I've found that I much prefer the feel and quality of Switchcraft sockets over quite a few clones that I have tried.

Fortunately, I have found a UK based distributor that is quite a lot cheaper than regular suppliers, like Farnell. I've bought hundreds of Switchcraft sockets from Action Hardware and would thoroughly recommend them.

http://www.actionhardware.co.uk/sales/product_info.php?cPath=157_182&p roducts_id=1434

Hope this helps

Regards

Magman

How does pricing compare with decaying.sine group buys for jacks? Just curious
magman
I suppose the main difference is that decaying.sine's group buy is for the solder lug version, not he PCB mount style that is needed for the Oakley socket PCB's.

Apart from this you also have the cost of carriage from the USA and possible import duty and VAT (you will also have VAT and carriage to add to the Action Hardware prices). If you get away with the import duty, then I suspect the imported parts would likely work out cheaper, otherwise the difference is not that great. To be honest, I would rather buy from a UK based supplier, if only to keep a degree of diversity in the supplier market.

Last but no means least, I have had lower prices still when I ordered 200 jacks. Only 5 pence per jack, but not insignificant.

I will likely be ordering another 200 myself in the not too distant future.

Regards

Magman
mumblinstevedubya
I have also used Action Hardware and as its fairly local, pop into get my sockets.
Didn't know about the rapid parts though and will buy a few to try as at over a third of the price it would be stupid not to.

Anyone else got any feedback using the Rapid parts?
Paradigm X
Ive used the rapid parts, they seem to work ok, but the datasheet is useless and ive no idea how all the switching works. It doesn't matter for pcb mounted projects obviously, but if hand wiring a bit of a nightmare...

I bought 100 off decaying sign of the 'nice' ones but not had a chance to test them yet.

cheers
jack multiple
as a matter of interest, i did a quick price comparison between rapid,farnell and action hardware for a bulk purchase of 100.(switchcraft).

rapid £236 free postage
farnell £306 postage 'unknown'
action hardware £142 incl postage.

thats all incl vat.

however if you were only buying 10 then i think rapid works out cheaper as action has an eight pound postage charge.

i have got any yet, still waiting for some money to clear. but i dont think i will even bother with the cheaper version now that the action link was kindly posted.
i am getting obsessed with this project already. cant imagine i am the first either.
Paradigm X
rapid has a minimum order of £35 for free delivery tho, then its like £12 or so...

farnell is free delivery no matter the size of the order, afaik, but as youve discovered a bit pricier than rapid.
mumblinstevedubya

Evening all,

I received a sample from Rapid today (Tony's link earlier in the thread)

Tony - It is a 3 pole socket. If you can use these, which lugs do you hack off?

Magman - agreed that these feel nothing like the switchcraft ones although construction quality is ok.

I will continue the hunt.............

Steve
Synthbuilder
mumblinstevedubya wrote:
It is a 3 pole socket. If you can use these, which lugs do you hack off?

Ah, didn't check that. Saw the photo and assumed it was mono.

For handwiring this will be no problem since you simply ignore the two tangs you don't need. If you insert a jack plug you'll be able to look inside to see which tangs connect to the ring and the tip. Just ignore the ones that connect to the ring of the inserted plug.

For inserting into a SockX board you will have to snip off two pins. If you have a SockX board then simply align the socket up to the board with the sloped bevel matching the diagonal on the PCB legend and see which tangs don't have a hole.

I reckon you can either snip the unwanted tangs off at the base of the plastic shell, or possibly try pulling them out of the shell completely.

Tony
Paradigm X
magman wrote:

Hope this helps

Regards

Magman

Just like to confirm I bought 50 from action recently and they were much cheaper than the usual suspects, almost half the price of farnell!

Quick delivery and well packed too, including the washers and nuts.

The soundcraft ones do 'feel' a lot better than the cheap ones, and look nicer, and hopefully will last a long time too. I think its a good match for the quality of the oakley stuff. I use the cheap ones for stompboxes/other cheap things.
mangros
The Rapid clones feel much smoother if the 'ring' and 'ring switch' metal pieces are totally removed. They slide out with a bit of a pull and don't seem to damage the housing.

If you just snip the ends off (e.g. to fit them in a Sock board) then the contacts will still press against a jack plug, and make insertion/removal far too clunky.
trimix
I'm about to place an order for parts for the VCO, but after reading the builder guide, I'm confused... regarding the NC tags. With no jack in the socket, is the module relying on that NC connection to work?
Why do I ask? Switchcraft sockets are expensive!
So if I use another type/brand of socket, does it need to be a switched mono socket? Or will an ordinary unswitched socket work? If not, does it need to be modified somehow, or a stereo socket used instead.
See? Confused.
Synthbuilder
trimix wrote:
With no jack in the socket, is the module relying on that NC connection to work?

I use NC lugs extensively in my modules. Mostly the NC lug is connected to module 0V which means that if there is no jack inserted then that input is secured firmly to ground. This stops crosstalk between inputs and outputs which could lead to unwanted modulation of things. Having no NC lugs on your sockets will not stop the VCO working, but having them does improve performance.

In many modules I do use the NC lugs for making internal connections. The VCO has one such connection on the V/oct input socket. This allows the Oakley Buss header to be directly connected to the V/oct input when no jack is inserted. If you are not using the Oakley Buss then this should not worry you.

However, many other modules make use of the NC lug for switching signals. For example, the Multimix wouldn't work properly if sockets without NC lugs were used.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1