MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

INM!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author INM!
Uncopyrightable
Holy crap!

First pass playing with this thing... and one hell of a learning curve as to what does what and when it will do what to what n shit...

But, managed to diddle a little doodle.

Flight, I love you man!

This is fun! This is fun! This is fun! This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

BugBrand Board Weevil plugged into VCO CV Dead Banana

recorded str8 into fraudacity, no effects

http://share.ovi.com/media/Uncopyrightable.public/Uncopyrightable.1001 8

Edit: Link Fixed
Kent
That thing is frickin' retarded! But in a cool way.

Would love to see a video in order to attempt to grok WTF is going on there.
Uncopyrightable
I'll try and youtube somethin up for ya
Kent
nanners
Uncopyrightable
Well, I think this should work...

Dead Banana
wetterberg
applause SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Luka
those cases are great
are they a custom build flight?
DGTom
woah

its like a noisestra! Wicked loopy squarewaves!
VanEck
Is this one of the original builds, or the new version?
flight
Sorry everybody, I've been busy finishing the last INM order and with the jack group buy.

@ Uncopyrightable: I'm glad you like it! Thanks for posting all this.

I admit that the interface is NOT intuitive (I still haven't had time to do a manual for these), but I think it forces the user to abandon preconceptions and experiment.
A few tips:
Tone: The Noise generator has two output amplifiers - a boost/buffer and an LPF, the Tone knob controls the mix between these two outputs. The phase relationship between these two outputs varies depending on the Noise frequency; sometimes in phase, sometimes 90°, sometimes 180°, aand everything in between.
Domain: One is the highest frequency range (often inaudible), Four is the lowest. When modulating the VCO, the greater effect is when the VCO and the Noise frequencies are closer together - i.e., the effect is minimal when the VCO is in the bass range and the Noise Domain is in One.
The One Domain is where you will find the oddest/most ethereal Noises: static, wind, the impression of voices. It has a lot of what seem to be dead spots, but it is worth the time to wander the Domain and see what can be found.
Width: I had already used the words "Range" and "Domain", so "Width" was the best word I could think of for these. "Width" is actually the range of the Fine controls, or how "wide" of a portion of the Domain that the Fine controls cover. Think "bandwidth". This is variable because of the logarithmic nature of our hearing. A small change in the One Domain would be a huge sweep in the Four Domain. The INM is much more touchy than the Plague Bearer, with many, many more sweet spots, so I wanted the ability to really dial them in.

Luka wrote:

those cases are great
are they a custom build flight?

Thanks! The basic case is from Teko, but I had to do quite a bit of modification. They come with molded standoffs inside that are at an angle (and are therefore useless), so I had to remove all of them. They also do not have any cutouts, so I have to make the openings for the back panel.
I actually do not like these cases. At all. They're just (once again) the only ones I have found that have the right dimensions. I'm looking into getting better (or, "more like what I want") ones made.

VanEck wrote:

Is this one of the original builds, or the new version?

Um, I'll call it "a new version of the original build". oops
Most of these units were sold back in October-November of last year, and were supposed to have been shipped around December-January. What actually happened was the beginning of the longest running Murphy's Law clusterfuck that I have ever heard of.
So, while I was either waiting for parts or waiting for the rail car to not be underwater anymore or returning the wrong parts and waiting for the right parts or having my parts order cancelled and then lost and then waiting for a factory to make more, and so on, I kept re-designing the whole thing. There is actually very little in there that is as the original was.
The INM was the first project I worked on and I had zero freaking clue what the hell I was doing, so there was much to it that I did not like. And as the build dragged on and on, I just could not accept sending out something that felt half-assed to me.
I am now very pleased with the INM functionality-wise. I'd like to add in a few more bells and whistles, but there isn't enough room in this design.
Luka
flight wrote:
Thanks! The basic case is from Teko, but I had to do quite a bit of modification. They come with molded standoffs inside that are at an angle (and are therefore useless), so I had to remove all of them. They also do not have any cutouts, so I have to make the openings for the back panel.
I actually do not like these cases. At all. They're just (once again) the only ones I have found that have the right dimensions. I'm looking into getting better (or, "more like what I want") ones made. .

i know what you mean
ive been looking around for pre-made cases for a bunch of desktop projects im building and im really finding it hard to find cool ones with the right dimensions. it is all about lesser of evils at the moment. im so close to just getting my own ones fabricated at the metal shop but still hoping to find an easier option
Uncopyrightable
Had to be done, last for now.

Guinness ftw!
wetterberg
Luka wrote:
i know what you mean
ive been looking around for pre-made cases for a bunch of desktop projects im building and im really finding it hard to find cool ones with the right dimensions. it is all about lesser of evils at the moment.
just put it all in your modular instead! applause
Luka
this is for all the phasers and chorus effects
so i think it is valid that they are not in the modular

no my modular is limited capacity (otherwise ill be building forever)
no more

if i keep building stuff i might move into sculpture
i think all the soldering is bad for you health
flight
Aww, come on. Just switch to wire-wrap then!
wink
droolmaster0
Kent wrote:
That thing is frickin' retarded! But in a cool way.

Would love to see a video in order to attempt to grok WTF is going on there.

This one is MINE now - at least in a week or so.

The ironic thing is that I am also retarded in a cool way.
Kent
Shit... nobody's told about that 'cool' part actually not being so? lol
droolmaster0
Received. Puzzled. Printing out some notes from earlier in the thread....
droolmaster0
ah - takes a bit to get oriented. It is now making pleasing tones.
Kent
droolmaster0 wrote:
... It is now making pleasing tones.

Then you are using it incorrectly! Flight Of Harmony
SPUDBOY WILSON
My IHM .....
I down loaded the manual from F.O.H.

I'm still working on the KCP Glamour Box

In the manual the Doctor says that plugging "things" into the aux in ,
to maximize the INM. We shall see
suboptimal
Are folks feeding CV from their Euro into the INM? I'm wondering what people are finding works. I got to spend about an hour with my brand new second hand INM last night and was having mixed results. The Noise Ring into the external input made for interesting times, but the other CV inputs appeared to do nothing.
flight
suboptimal wrote:
Are folks feeding CV from their Euro into the INM? I'm wondering what people are finding works. I got to spend about an hour with my brand new second hand INM last night and was having mixed results. The Noise Ring into the external input made for interesting times, but the other CV inputs appeared to do nothing.
Just to make sure: do you have the CV input attenuators turned all the way CW? Treat them as CV volume controls.
suboptimal
I've been playing with the CV attenuators but without much luck, but after another session last night (that has me completely wiped out today!) I suspect that I wasn't within one of the pockets where the different controls clash so ... infernally. The "width" controls are quite interesting.
flight
Ah yes, it does take some time to figure out where the different controls have greatest effect. Where did you get your INM? I know that there is one out there that needs a small modification to get it sounding right - the input signal to the filter is WAY too strong, so the filter doesn't really seem to do anything. I believe that one went to England originally.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2