MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Eurorack Charter?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author The Eurorack Charter?
READYdot
Recently I saw that some new modules have the voltages they are needing or giving out printed on the front pannels (eg. WMD MME, HM HD mk2, etc.) and then I was thinking how about everybody would do that and then I thought how about everyone would do some things the same, as for example label the powercable always the same way.

And then I thought how about an Eurorack Charter that defines those things. The users make this charter, give input and then the manufacturers are still free do how they like, but can if they want to refer to this charter and do all those little things that could make Eurorack a more peaceful modular landscape.

Some things I'd include in the charter:
- labeling the voltage needs and outputs on the front panel
- an uniform way to label the powercable connection
- using the oblong holes and not the single holes for the screws on the panels
- not using Comic Sans on the front panel ( hihi )
- making clear on the front panels what is an output and what is an input
- etc.

Just an idea... feel free to comment and bash. thumbs up

Oh and this idea might already have sprouted somewhere else, but didn't find anything...
n0rd
I like the idea of labeling voltages on front panels but would be happy if manufacturers just had all their specs available somewhere - especially on release. So many modules out there with no docs / specs.

To all manufactures - "skiff friendly" doesn't mean jack. One person's skiff is another person's boat which is another person's case. Just pick up a rule and measure than damn thing. </rant>
prinsen
READYdot wrote:

In my experience (designing a few panels for myself) these points are tricky, at least if you're making small batches of modules.
Labeling: Oftentimes you want to make a panel as narrow as possible. It's a challenge to avoid cluttering things and making the panel incomprehensible.
Oblong holes: Can add unreasonable extra cost to the panel because those holes can't easily be made with a drill press.
In-/output markings: I personally try to do that with my panels, but there are grey zones. As an example I haven't figured out the most sensible way to mark the sockets of a multiple yet.
Taco Belly
Adding protection against reverse polarity!!!

Shouldn't this thread be quoted "sticky"?
sonicwarrior
Taco Belly wrote:
Adding protection against reverse polarity!!!

That's the most important. No one wants expensive modules to be fried which always can happen by accident.
phono1337
READYdot wrote:

- an uniform way to label the powercable connection
- not using Comic Sans on the front panel ( hihi )

as a small manufacturer i'll add my comments to these help

the first point i think may (or may not) affect the aesthetic, this is what manuals are for really.

i absolutely hate oblong holes, there's really no need for them if the doepfer specification is followed.

Agree on the comic sans nanners

again, manuals screaming goo yo

as for reverse protection, this is a wonderful idea and I think many are now adding it, all the dinsync.info modules (with the exception of the original OSC303) have this.
drip.feed
Did you mean "charter", dotters? A "charta" was a bit of paper that old, medicinal powders were wrapped in.
hanerlend
i really like the lzx interface standards

intellijel also uses the part with black background = output, brack outlite = input.
READYdot
drip.feed wrote:
Did you mean "charter", dotters? A "charta" was a bit of paper that old, medicinal powders were wrapped in.

Ah, yes! Thanks for pointing it out. Corrected!
Dofkev
phono1337 wrote:

i absolutely hate oblong holes, there's really no need for them if the doepfer specification is followed.

+me too
bouzoukijoe1
Dofkev wrote:
phono1337 wrote:

+me too

keep in mind that it's not just about following standards, but it's also protection against small manufacturing errors/defects. elongated holes solve multiple problems like

--non-standard panel widths like the Piston Honda's
--panel width manufacturing errors (if the width is off by 1mm for example)
--hole position errors

if everyone used rails with sliding nuts, it would not be a problem and we wouldn't need elongated holes, but there are rails with fixed nut positions like on the Happy Ending that does not leave any room for error in panel manufacturing, which is not good. I've run into that problem before when two modules without elongated holes are next to each other and one of them has an imperfect width. I could not screw them next to each other (on a Happy Ending kit).

unless everyone in eurorack can always produce panels with 100% accuracy and follow a eurorack standard, elongated holes are the way to go.
drip.feed
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
Dofkev wrote:
phono1337 wrote:

+me too

keep in mind that it's not just about following standards, but it's also protection against small manufacturing errors/defects. elongated holes solve multiple problems like

--non-standard panel widths like the Piston Honda's
--panel width manufacturing errors (if the width is off by 1mm for example)
--hole position errors

if everyone used rails with sliding nuts, it would not be a problem and we wouldn't need elongated holes, but there are rails with fixed nut positions like on the Happy Ending that does not leave any room for error in panel manufacturing, which is not good. I've run into that problem before when two modules without elongated holes are next to each other and one of them has an imperfect width. I could not screw them next to each other (on a Happy Ending kit).

unless everyone in eurorack can always produce panels with 100% accuracy and follow a eurorack standard, elongated holes are the way to go.

Not to mention ye olde conundrum of mixing Euro modules in Analogue Systems racks.
READYdot
bouzoukijoe1 and drip.feed, that's what I had in mind. The oblong holes are ideal to make the modules sit tightly together, no matter how unprecise the panels are cut.
READYdot
hanerlend wrote:
i really like the lzx interface standards

intellijel also uses the part with black background = output, brack outlite = input.

Yes, and Cwejman does this too.

phono1337 wrote:

again, manuals :screaming goo yo:

Totally agree! With all the specs and depth and current and, and, and...
Mefistophelees
phono1337 wrote:

Having oblong holes in the spec would be immensely useful for those of us who happen to have modules that don't quite meet the spec or like Analogue Systems modules (who I also think should use oblong holes).

I like having to attack modules with a drill!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1