MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

C-thru music axis-49 half off today! just 249usd!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author C-thru music axis-49 half off today! just 249usd!
wetterberg
hey,
I totally forgot to post about this, but this bad-ass is real cheap for the rest of today only!

I'm SEVERELY tempted to get one! applause
http://www.c-thru-music.com
MicroFi
Awwwww shit. I want one of those so bad.
Too bad I just spent my last money on modules seriously, i just don't get it

Why aren't there more of these innovative controller interfaces? I've had a classical piano training, but sometimes I want to break free from that old piano-style keyboard and use other methods to control my synths. I find it especially strange there aren't more "new" controller interfaces in the modular department ...
Kent
Yeah, me too:
MrDys
I caved and picked one up. As much as I prefer to move away from computers, this intrigues me a lot.

I'll probably post more about it once it arrives...
ndkent
I think the piece missing on this specific unit is that the midi note numbers are fixed and they repeat -- from what I remember when considering it. In other words each key is not a different note number.

I figured I could work around not reassigning note numbers but not if that same note number was used for more than one hexagon key. So I agree that it's an alternate to piano style keyboard but it's just their one very specific take on re-arranging the standard 12 tone scale rather than something flexible to experiment with a hex layout. That's something I would have gone for.
Cat-A-Tonic
The thing that makes me hesitate is that it receives power and transmits MIDI via USB.
How the hell are you supposed to interface this with your modular,
or use it without a computer?
...very tempted nonetheless...
So if you plug it into your computer can you then output MIDI from your regular audio interface (in my case MBox2)?
timmah
catatonic, I use a USB midi keyboard plugged into my PC, to send midi to my modular all the time. it's much better than directly connecting to you modular via midi becuase you can record the midi data at the same time as playing it.

I would love to buy one of these, but am not buying anything more for a while as I'm saving for travelling.
MrDys
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
How the hell are you supposed to...use it without a computer?

That's my main concern. If I end up falling in love with it, I'll attempt to remedy this roadblock. Probably using a netbook or arduino or something else small and portable. For now, it's going to involve Axis -> Computer, Korg padControl -> Computer, Computer MIDI -> padControl MIDI Out -> MIDI gear. ...or I could just spring for the fancy Pro model...
Cat-A-Tonic
I took the plunge and bought one too. hyper
FedEx shipping was a bit painful.

Thanks for the heads-up on this deal Wetterberg,
and thanks for the reassuring explanations of USB-MIDI wrassling Timmah and Mr. Dys.

I hope that this ends up being as intuitive and inspirational as it appears,
and that the workarounds for modular interfacing also prove worthwhile.
I'll keep you posted.
Let's struggle through this together Mr. Dys, and whoever else takes the bait.

As an aside note:
How is that Korg PadKontrol working out for you Mr. Dys?
Cat-A-Tonic
ndkent wrote:
I think the piece missing on this specific unit is that the midi note numbers are fixed and they repeat -- from what I remember when considering it. In other words each key is not a different note number.

I figured I could work around not reassigning note numbers but not if that same note number was used for more than one hexagon key. So I agree that it's an alternate to piano style keyboard but it's just their one very specific take on re-arranging the standard 12 tone scale rather than something flexible to experiment with a hex layout. That's something I would have gone for.

I noticed somewhere on the site the creator mentioned that he was planning on *maybe* implementing this in the future as a firmware update,
but he doesn't say much about it now because it doesn't currently support that and it may never come to fruition.
MrDys
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
How is that Korg PadKontrol working out for you Mr. Dys?

It's alright. I actually use it more for its secondary utility than for a playing interface. It just takes too damn long for me to set up samples and whatnot for triggering. I do like that I can reprogram the pads for specific scales, though I don't end up using that feature a lot. What I do end up using a lot is the Expression Pedal input. You can program it to send MIDI CCs or Note On/Off Events (and a few others, I believe). I've sent gates from the modular into the pedal input to trigger MIDI events.
MrDys
Just got an e-mail saying that my Axis has shipped. I would looove to have it by the end of the week, but something tells me FedEx is going to let me down.
science
Damn.. wish I had seen this when it was half off d'oh!
ex_dead_teenager
I did! I can't wait to plug this mother in and see what it can do! any recomendations for softsynths to use it with? Free is best
jonkull
Kent wrote:
Yeah, me too:

What's this?
chinard
i got one of the axis 49's the week that they came out.
Absolutely love it, but now i want the full sized version.

a couple of things about the axis 49..

first is that it is 'class compliant midi' which means they did not write drivers for it. I have 2 machines (both windows xp) that this will not run with, but it runs perfectly on my mac.
There are discussions on the c-thru music website about other people having problems with class compliant midi and there does not appear to be any reasonable resolution.

second, well... you need a computer to use it.
minor problem for those of us who are hardware based but if you are running a DAW, it is easy enough to redirect the midi out a midi patch bay to the instrument of your choice.
At least the axis-64 has real midi ports!

I have tried running this with my modular and it is moderatly interesting to play in monophonic mode but it really shines on a polyphonic instrument.
I totally suck at chord building, but the way this thing is laid out makes chords friggin easy. I am actually beginning to understand the theory just by watching how the shapes interact.
ex_dead_teenager
I'm so excited about this! I bet I can play my TI with it through my computer!! I would have like a 64 as well but everyone's got to start someplace and it was so cheap I couldn't say no.
Cat-A-Tonic
The Axis 49 arrived! hyper
The velocity sensitivity of the keys is nicer than I had expected.

Unfortunately, the driver for my Logitech mouse on my PC was interfering with the MIDI input device.
If you go into the registry this is a fixable bug, but a PITA.
This was the straw that broke the camel's back...
ProTools was also experiencing an error on my PC that wouldn't allow it to function.
I really need to find my Windows OS cd so that I can just format that damned malfunctioning old system.

...so I bought a MacBook Pro Bop!

So now I can get the Axis to work just fine with Garageband, or Arturia,
but then when I install ProTools 7.3 it causes another MIDI input driver error. very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
I think I just need to update Protools to fix this though.... I hope.

I don't think any of this driver bug nonsense is Axis's fault though.
It is, however, an unexpected struggle to get the system working smoothly.
I'll be relying on the MBox2 for MIDI output duties from the Axis 49 post computer.
ex_dead_teenager
YES! mine just arrived... fucking finally (thanks Canada Customs)
Kent
jonkull wrote:

What's this?

Make clicky on picture.
ex_dead_teenager
yes sir! my camera needs to be charged photos tonight.
ex_dead_teenager
photos!
intellijel
I got one of these on sale too and I love it!

I should have got one years ago as it has solved a lot of problems for me (I know basic theory but I can't play keyboards).

So nice and compact too.... this, a monome and a laptop could do a lot of stuff together in a small space.

One gripe I have is that all those little stickers are already peeling off :(

I guess I am learning the notes a bit better but it is very helpful to have those.
I hope I can get replacements from them when these inevitably fall off.
Cat-A-Tonic
It is really fun and intuitive to play.
The chord shapes fall under the fingers quite ergonomically.
and the velocity is surprisingly good for dynamically altering attack volume to make your soft-instruments sound a bit more natural.
I'm happy I picked one up.
I haven't put the stickers on yet, and might not at all.
It is pretty easy to find your way around to the normal scales and all.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1