MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Standalone Matrix Mixers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Standalone Matrix Mixers
sb
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a tabletop/non-modular matrix mixer - 4x4 or 8x8 (or even 2x2) ? The only thing I seem to be able to find that comes close to what I have in mind is the Shure AuxPander which is discontinued and is probably a bit bigger than what I had in mind (I'm really just looking for a neat way to split and distribute signals from my modular into either an EH 2880 Looper or a mixer).

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Simon
ndkent
I'd think that since it's main use would fall into an experimental category rather than be sold as commercial music production gear, that most users would either build one themselves or get a custom one built.

As for finding one, a simple enough solution would be to pick up the Doepfer one coming out this month and their little Beauty case.
LDT
As I see it that would be any mixer with some sends. Like, a 4 ch stereo mixer with three sends would be the equivalent of a 4x4 mixer. Not?
justin3am
I believe that is what the 4ms BendMatrix does, with the addition of sequence-able routing.

http://4mspedals.com/bendmatrix.php
shamann
Yeah, something with lots of sends would do the trick, but the sends quota is usually pretty skimpy on small mixers.

Mackie makes a matrix headphone amp/mixer (HMX-56), it might do the trick for you.

Anyone I knew who had the Auxpander always complained that it was really noisy.
sb
ndkent wrote:

As for finding one, a simple enough solution would be to pick up the Doepfer one coming out this month and their little Beauty case.

Yes this is kinda the conclusion I'd come to....a portable case with a Doepfer matrix and maybe an A-138d or something to bring the signal down for the EH 2880.
sb
shamann wrote:
Yeah, something with lots of sends would do the trick, but the sends quota is usually pretty skimpy on small mixers.

Mackie makes a matrix headphone amp/mixer (HMX-56), it might do the trick for you.

Yes I was going to say..are there any channel mixers with 3 sends ?

The Mackie looks promising...not sure whether it could be interfaced easily with my main mixer though because its outs are stereo headphone outs but its worth investigation.
shamann
My experience with stereo TRS outputs is if you just connect a TS cable to it, you get a mono signal.
justin3am
I bought one of these specifically for the amount of routing it has.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=C844U

four pre-fade sends, 2 post-fade and 4 busses. Quality wise it's similar to a Mackie, not quite as good as an Allen & Heath but not as bad as Behringer.
felix
You could make yourself a passive one so easily.

If you don't need "attenuverting" functionality, I would seriously look into making one. It's literally just a bunch of pots, jacks and wires (and whatever box you want to put it in).
rafe127
Second vote for the Mackie headphone mixer HMX-56. I use it with modular and pedals and the built in amplification/attenuation works fine.

A new option with more channels and USB output is the Jam-Hub:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JHGreenRoom
richard
Rob Hordijk makes one. \i think his basic size is 6x6 but he'll make other sizes too.

i keep thinking about buying one off him but always spend the money on more modules..

IMO table top makes a lot more sense that vertical mounted for such a thing

\richard
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1