MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intellijel Planar - Vector Mixer / Quad Panner 14hp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Author Intellijel Planar - Vector Mixer / Quad Panner 14hp
intellijel

This module has been in development for almost a year.
Thanks to David for his ingenious way of implementing the vector mixing (among other things in the design) and Haven for coming up with the name and some great feature ideas.

This has to be one of the most fun modules we have ever played with! With just a few audio and CV sources and some interdependencies (i.e use the Joystick CV to simultaneously modify the signals being processed by the VCAs) you quickly get highly complex sounds that you can easily control and play with.

Features:
-Vector mixing: put up to four sources into inputs A, B, C and D and then use the joystick to create the vector mix. Positioning the joystick in any corner will isolate that particular source. Putting the joystick in the center will create an even blend of all four sources. Resulting mix is taken from the MIX output.

-Quad Panning: Plug one source into input A and steer it to outputs A, B, C, D. You can also do stereo panning by just using a pair of outputs.

-SENSE gate output. This is a slew detector which means the gate is only active when you are moving the joystick. Excellent for driving envelopes/VCAs to coordinate so that the output mix is only heard/used when the joystick is being moved.

-Manual gate output: pushbutton to manually trigger a second gate output

-CV outputs: The joystick produces either unipolar (0-5V) or bipolar (-5 to +5V) switchable outputs.

-CV Inputs: The module accepts X and Y axis inputs. By using out of phase LFO sources (such as outputs from the Dr. Octature) you can create really interesting swirling/circular patterns.

This input is also very useful when coordinated with a CV recorder. You can record the modulation from the X, Y outputs and then turn the joystick off (see switch at top left) and playback the modulation into the X and Y input.
This will allow you to recreate a complex quad panning or vector mixing jam.

REVERSIBLE! The module will ship with a second faceplate that is designed to mounted upside down (so joystick is at the bottom) and there are jumpers on the back of the module so you can coordinate the reversed orientation of the joystick. This is to facilitate use in a skiff.
*I will post photos of the reverse faceplates when they arrive next week.

These are almost complete in production. Ready to ship by next week!
The joysticks used are very expensive and have a long lead time (plus large minimum order). As a result this batch is going to be kind of limited.

MSRP $340. 14hp skiff friendly

* The part # for the knurled nut driver tool is :
382-0006 @ Mouser.com

stellvia
Sweeet!

And number 2 release is up hihi
intellijel
stellvia wrote:
Sweeet!

And number 2 release is up hihi

That's it for today :p

Now I need to go finish manuals and demos.....
reppiks
i have no idea how i can possibly not need this
stellvia
Oh dear, no Pulse Tornado for exper today hihi

Keep up the great work Danjel. Loving the modules (my new uScale should arrive in the next hour or so!) applause
reignbear
i knew there was a reason i kept putting off buy a joystick for my girlfriends little video set-up...
Matos
Sorry exper. Keep your chin up lad.
This looks sweet as hell. Nice job!
exper
Just wow. SlayerBadger!
rico loverde
one of these and 2 jags = boner
ringstone
Damn! Make it make some noise please... dying to hear what it can do!!

Cheers
Blair
tronabetes
Oh man!, I need at least two of these.
Kalerne
i love quadriphony so Dead Banana
keetz
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

What a great design. The sense output is a brilliant idea. I was just about to pull the trigger on a second FoH Choices, obviously glad I didn't! This will be right at home next to my JAG.

What's fucking horrible though, is that this will of COURSE require a second JAG.

I'm scared of the fact that I no longer excitedly use terms like "I WANT this module!" or "that'd be cool to have", its devolved into a deadpan, matter-of-fact "yup, I need that."
hamburgerlady
tronabetes wrote:
Oh man!, I need at least two of these.

True that!
amnesia
Quad Panner?

You need a quad output module next :-)
radiodread87
Looks fantastic Danjel! well done!
numan7
woah foly huk... these Intellijel hits just keep on coming! we're not worthywe're not worthywe're not worthy

SlayerBadger! i needs 2 of 'em! thumbs up

cheers
artisokka
Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana

Awesome design!
John Noble
Nice to see some new analog controller action!

http://eurorackdb.com/node/1332
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
We had a lot of fun developing this one -- I got to flex my design muscles and incorporate some pretty cool innovations under the hood, prototyping and debugging went pretty smoothly, and then, the first time we played with the prototype, it was obvious that this was probably the sickest module we've ever done. It is just insanely fun to play with.

I'm really looking forward to the videos on this one.

Also, with four speakers, there is a very cool panning trick you should be able to do with Planar + Doc Oc + uFade which involves sending the audio around the room at different speeds and in different directions, and using the joystick to focus the sound in different locations. Basically, you take one sine wave output of Doc Oc to Planar X, and two other sine wave outputs at +/- 90 degrees to the uFade inputs, then take the uFade output to Planar Y. The Doc Oc frequency sets the CW or CCW speed of rotation at the extreme pot settings of the crossfader (and it can be rotating at audio rates), and the crossfader pot sets the speed and direction (in the centre, the rotation comes to a stop). If the joystick is on, then moving it should focus the rotation to tight circles in the soundspace. I'm not sure how this is going to feel to people standing inbetween the speakers, but I'm really looking forward to giving it a try.
burnn_out!
Man that thing looks sweet. Do want, do need. Intellijel is killing me!! This, the pulse tornado, and metropolis, unreal. very frustrating we're not worthy MY ASS IS BLEEDING love

Fuck....
amnesia
Am I the only one wondering why the joystick isnt at the bottom? Would make more sense.

It would be OK if the modular is placed vertically but not so usefull if the modular is horizontal or on an angle, means you would have to but your hands over all the wires to move the joystick.
intellijel
amnesia wrote:
Am I the only one wondering why the joystick isnt at the bottom? Would make more sense.

You missed the part about it shipping with two different faceplates (and jumpers on the back). The second faceplate allows you to orient the joystick at the bottom.
Matos
I think the reversible faceplate allows for just that! SlayerBadger!
amnesia
Ahh always one step ahead Danijel! Excellent!

I didnt read what is did I was just drooling over the image :-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Page 1 of 20