MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla and USB powered devices
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla and USB powered devices
ex_dead_teenager
can you controll a 200e with say an Axis 49 or a Monome? or is it a strictly midi affair?

any hints at a USB interface sometime in the future? What would you reccomend to a person who did want to controll their 200e with something like a monome or Axis 49?
ex_dead_teenager
I hope this isn't an obnoxious question.
revmutt
I'm going to guess you need a computer in between the USB controller and the 200e. This is always my frustration with the MIDI devices that use USB as their only output.
sandyb
you'd definitely have to have a computer as an intermediary with a monome as there's background software that needs to run for the monome to "talk" to the outside world.

sandy
ex_dead_teenager
hmmn... good to know.

I just picked up an Axis 49 because it was on sale and I've wanted the 64 for ages. I might trade up at some later date but it's good to know.

the Kenton USB-CV looks like an interesting interface though only monophonic.
ndkent
You need real MIDI.

I guess you've hit a missing link, no one I know of makes a little box that powers the USB + gives you regular MIDI out of small and/or low budgeted controllers, not the plug and play business that sooner or later computers won't support. I wouldn't mind using a nanokey without lugging around a laptop and a real midi interface. I guess the gotcha, is while some USB only controllers do plug and play to popular OSes, some out there might need drivers. Then a device like the Buchla if I understand it, would need to emulate whatever plug and play say OSX or Win has going on for these devices. Not impossible but certainly an expense to support a more or less budget oriented protocol imho.

A device like the Kenton USB to CV will still need a laptop. It's meant to plug into a laptop not a controller. Also it probably might not be ideal to drive the Buchla's CV and trig/gate.
ex_dead_teenager
boo
ex_dead_teenager
I guess I'll just have to bide my time. It's just as well I guess it's not like I could put it to use straight away my system is still at B&A waiting for more modules.
science
Unless something is designed specifically to control a single piece of software, a USB only controller is a total waste. I guess they have to appeal to the new school crowd, none of whom are too familiar with them funny lookin' knob boxes with teh buttuns all ovar them.
rlainhart
It seems clear that Buchla at least intended at one time to add a USB interface to the 200e - on the faceplate, the 225e is labeled "MIDI/USB Decoder", and the 201e-18 has a couple of slots on top of the cabinet that look like they could be used for USB ports.

Although, looking closer at the image on the website, the 201e-18 cabinet has a pair of small devices installed in what appear to be those slots - anyone know what they are?
divisionbyzero
rlainhart wrote:

Although, looking closer at the image on the website, the 201e-18 cabinet has a pair of small devices installed in what appear to be those slots - anyone know what they are?


if we're looking at the same picture those are the rings for the 222e.
rlainhart
The picture I mean is the one on the front page, which is replicated and zoomable on the main Module page where the cabinets are listed.

So if those are the rings, those are their recharging ports? Are those USB jacks they're plugged into, or something else?


divisionbyzero wrote:
rlainhart wrote:

Although, looking closer at the image on the website, the 201e-18 cabinet has a pair of small devices installed in what appear to be those slots - anyone know what they are?


if we're looking at the same picture those are the rings for the 222e.
cbm
The story I heard about the USB, is that it was planned, but they ran out of code space, so USB was nuked.
divisionbyzero
rlainhart wrote:
The picture I mean is the one on the front page, which is replicated and zoomable on the main Module page where the cabinets are listed.

So if those are the rings, those are their recharging ports? Are those USB jacks they're plugged into, or something else?


ah, i see. those are the rings and that's where they recharge. the jacks aren't usb; they're a slightly smaller version of the connector used for firmware cards.
ex_dead_teenager
science wrote:
Unless something is designed specifically to control a single piece of software, a USB only controller is a total waste. I guess they have to appeal to the new school crowd, none of whom are too familiar with them funny lookin' knob boxes with teh buttuns all ovar them.


normally I wouldn't have gone withy a usb only controller because of how limiting it will be but at $250 an Axis 49 was hard to pass up. I'm really trying to find ways to break out of the chromatic black and white jail that is the regular keyboard.

they're great on pianos and certainly have their place in the synth world but imo it was an arrangement of convienience which shouldn't have become the norm Soapbox
amnesia
hey ex

we are just guys who own a Buchla we are no different to anyone one the planet, we are not smarter, wiser etc we just save and buy :-)
ndkent
I would guess that Buchla's preliminary plan for USB meant that the cabinet could be plugged into a computer. (Buchla = peripheral i/o?, computer = host)

If you think about it. That's not at all the same thing technically as providing a USB jack to plug in say an Axis 49. (Axis = peripheral input, Buchla = host)
ex_dead_teenager
ah. Thanks ndkent.

I'm sorry if I've come off sounding as though I expect you guys to have all the answers I'm kind of clueless when it comes to some stuff so I take it for granted that most other people arent.

This is a really helpful thread to me btw, it should just be easy to figure it out but I had never really given much thought to exactly how USB midi works.

thanks everyone for putting up with me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group