MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Jx-3p VS MKS-30 soundwwise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Jx-3p VS MKS-30 soundwwise
???
Is there any difference in sound between those two synth? Does one actually sound better in your opinion?
Just me
The 30 can sound better as it responds to velocity and the 3p does not. (The dynamics button on the Planet S is what turns it on and off. Leave it off and they are the same.) I have both in my setup. The 30 has twice the memory if you have an M-16 cart. A PG200 is nice with either, but more important with the 30. 3P has a rudimentary sequencer.
JohnLRice
It's been so long since I've played with either I can't really say. I remember loving the horn/brass sounds of the MKS-30 and the rich PWM drone a JX-3P could produce.

I think you should get both, of course! thumbs up 8_)

dougt
The JX-3P has full size IR3109 filter chips (like the Juno-6/60/JP-8). The MKS-30 has the infamous 80017As (like the Juno-106) so from a reliability standpoint at least I'd generally recommend the JX-3P (plus I like the polyphonic step sequencer). The JX-3P also responds to velocity over MIDI with an upgrade.
wavecircle
The Jx-3p is a wonderful sounding synth. Can't believe they are cheaper than the Junos.
ndkent
wavecircle wrote:
The Jx-3p is a wonderful sounding synth. Can't believe they are cheaper than the Junos.

The cost of the programmer may make up the price difference but you still get a second DCO with crossmod
Just me
You don't have to have the programmer. It's just handy to have a knobby interface with knob/switch per function.
I've put my suite of them up for sale in the past to no sale. May try again in a few months. But i really do love playing my MKS-30 with a YouRock controller!
And noone has mentioned the Moogslayer mod to the JX-3P yet.
kuxaan-sum
Moogslayer?
Just me
Well, sortof. You can crank up the resonance and fine tune the filters. You can also mod it for cv control of the filter.
odecahedron
Juno 106 and Jx3p were the first 2 synths i bought, the 3P sequencer - while definietly rudimentary - is so much fun and awesome because of its simplicity. just smack in the sequence and run... the only rela gripe i had with it was the fiddly little fader for rate - one miniscule nudge = 10 or 15 bpm jump... not enough torque. also the 3p would transpose via onbe touch of a key in the classic way, the Juno (when used with a MSQ) doesnt do this... when it was time to sell off i got rid of the 3P because the Juno palette seems more colourful... but i lament the 3P sequencer, quik n ez goodtimes
odecahedron
also: the PG200 isnt "necessary" but if u get one, expect your hands-on fun-factor to increase exponentially.
ringstone
I upgraded my JX-3P with the Organix kit, which gives velocity control over MIDI, and more importantly, simultaneous use of MIDI and the PG-200 - something I wanted for many years! Then Kiwitechnics upgrade came out, and it's even nicer - with extra LFOs, Envs etc. etc. but a fair bit more expensive. Tempting, though...

Cheers
Blair
odecahedron
âl;most went with the kiwitronics chip upgrade... they boosted their price right before i wen to pull the trigger, but then started diverting $ into MOTM...

the kiwitronics programmer looks pretty sweet tho - lotsa bells n whistles
ringstone
Hmm... it's not actually that expensive either. Maybe I should hold off on selling my Matrix 1000, this could give it a new lease of life hmmm.....

Cheers
Blair
jessem
The polyphonic Jx3P sequencer is awesome. I think it's also a pretty slick looking keyboard.
mamonu
I have the MKS30 and love it. I have the improved firmware from analog.no I think so I can control it via midi CC but I found the programmer as well ...

I love its sound and for the price you get a lot of synth....

Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. MiniMoog
T1M3
I know this is a old thread but, wanted to add my two cents. If anyone is considering purchasing one of the MKS-30s, keep the following in mind if it has the original 80017A chips. You will eventually need to deal with the 80017A chip issues by either refurbishing them, which means having the outer epoxy coating removed and reconditioning them or replacing the chips at some point. Since the original chip is no longer manufactured, you would have to source a clone such as those made by Analogue Renaissance http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/AR80017A which aren’t cheap. I had mine refurbished at the beginning of 2016 by the SynthSpa. Part of the process includes removing the chips from the main circuit board and installing sockets for the chips to plug into, making it easy to remove them if they starting acting up again, as was my experience a few months later. It’s been about a year since the last one and I’ve had no more problems at this point. I’m thinking if I do have anymore problems with the chips, I will probably get new ones. I also ordered the Johannes Hausensteiner firmware upgrade EPROM in 2015 and that has completely changed the MKS-30 into a another animal all together. Having the addition of a MIDI out, allowing all parameters to send out as MIDI CC data to be recorded into a sequencer, means a lot of sound options. Additionally, tools like CVToolKit allow me to modulate almost every parameter like a modular synth being modulated by CV. That’s pretty cool for a synth made in the mid eighties. I bought it new with a PG-200 programmer back then, so the additional investments were an easy decision for me. I’ve always loved this synth and have programed many 80’s style synth patches with it. Now it’s integrated with my eurorack and plays a roll in my patches driven by Silent Way or CVToolkit software. Anyway, I feel that anyone contemplating snatching up one of these might want to keep these things in mind.[url][/url]
vromr
Why would you use CVToolkit if you can control it via MIDI CC from a DAW? And is it not already SysEx-controllable from a DAW without the upgrade?
FlyingMusician
Not to derail this thread but even though the Juno is a single osc per voice, it's pulse width modulation is gorgeous. I've owned an MKS-30 (had the voice boards rebuilt) and a 3p. They both sounded similar and wonderful to my ears, maybe it was a placebo effect but I tended to like the 3p sound more.

A Juno 6/60 and a 3p/MKS-30 make a great combo.
RickKleffel
I used to have an MKS-30, and I really liked it; I can think of buying another. However, this chip reliability thing is worrisome. I've had my eye on an mks-70 of late. For some $1500, you can pick up a used MKS-70 and the PG-800 programmer. Seems like a great deal on what I want, nice analog poly module. Any issues with the MKS-70?
FlyingMusician
RickKleffel wrote:
Any issues with the MKS-70?

That is a good question I've been trying to get answered. I used to own an MKS-70, and still own a SuperJX. I just noticed the other day when playing my SuperJX that the sounds every once in a while had a slow attack. These synths both have two 6 voice boards installed. As you hit keys some logic inside decides which voices to choose, and whenever the next voice switches from one bank of 6 to the next, the attack is slow on that one note. As if for that one note, you just tweaked the attack envelope a bit, to sound like a fast string.

Now this could be an issue with just my SuperJX or an issue with all, and I just don't know. The problem for me is, now that I realize what is going on, it has sort of ruined the synth for all sounds except once with a slow attack.
gruebleengourd
[quote="FlyingMusician"]
RickKleffel wrote:
Any issues with the MKS-70?

The MKS70 PSU runs pretty hot and it's not uncommon for dry joints to form causing intermittent power issues (or not turning on at all) refllowing fixes this.
khyber
As an FYI, the Kiwi upgrade for the JX-3p, in my experience, changed some of the tonal qualities of the stock sounds and led me to feel some regret over installing the mod in the first place.

The onboard presets in the upgrade are facsimiles of the original presets and they are pretty spot on, but due to slight changes in things like the envelopes and the chorus circuit, the upgrade tweaks the sound of the instrument ever so slightly that it felt like a different synth and not a JX-3p on steroids (at least for my tastes). If I had to quantify it I would say the upgrade made the sounds slightly less wooly and vintage feeling (I know, not a great description but again it's such a small difference it's hard to put into words).

Fat Fifths was my favorite preset on that instrument and the loss of some of the attack characteristics and the lushness on the chorus made me feel like the upgrade was a step backwards. Oddly enough, I did the upgrade for the enhanced MIDI implementation, step sequencer upgrades, and patch memory upgrades without realizing how many new features were available in the new processor.
FlyingMusician
khyber wrote:
As an FYI, the Kiwi upgrade for the JX-3p, in my experience, changed some of the tonal qualities of the stock sounds and led me to feel some regret over installing the mod in the first place.

I had a 3p and did the kiwi upgrade and definitely regretted it too.
Sir Ruff
khyber wrote:

The onboard presets in the upgrade are facsimiles of the original presets and they are pretty spot on, but due to slight changes in things like the envelopes and the chorus circuit, the upgrade tweaks the sound of the instrument ever so slightly that it felt like a different synth and not a JX-3p on steroids (at least for my tastes). If I had to quantify it I would say the upgrade made the sounds slightly less wooly and vintage feeling

The KIWI upgrade doesn't actually change any physical characteristics of the tone so this is technically impossible. Sounds like you just don't understand what the original program parameters were.

Getting back to the JX vs. MKS issues, I have read that there are differences in sound but this has never been documented accurately. Has anyone got both that can describe any differences, however minor?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2