Difference (if any) between AD and AR envelopes?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

beedeesmith
Common Wiggler

Difference (if any) between AD and AR envelopes?

Post by beedeesmith » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:44 am

Is there any difference between an AD envelope and an AR? I.e., does AR use a trigger and completes an entire cycle, whereas AD uses a gate and begins to decay even if in the attack portion if the gate ends early? Or is the answer "it depends"?

Thanks,
-Bryan

p.s. Normally I'm able to figure out answers like this through judicious use of the search function here, but this one posed more of a problem give the two letter keywords.

rafe127
classy undercarriage

Post by rafe127 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 am

I believe your assertion is correct, sir!

AR envelope will stay high as long as the gate signal is on, then go low.

AD envelope will begin to decay as soon as it reaches its high state, no matter the input.

beedeesmith
Common Wiggler

Post by beedeesmith » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:11 am

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if that was universal or if it depended on the manufacturer (or"none of the above").

-Bryan

alanalan
Common Wiggler

Post by alanalan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:00 am

Its universal.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 am

It depends... 8_)

AD will normally need a gate to set it off. But some will immediately go into decay mode should the gate drop low. This is what I would call 'traditional' behaviour because it does pretty much what the ADSR does with S at zero and D & R at the same value. Other AD envelopes may well carry on to the peak of the attack and then go into decay irrespective of what the gate has or will do - I call this 'one shot' behaviour.

The Moog Rogue has a one shot behaviour on the AD EG and personally speaking I think it's really annoying when you only have one EG on the synth.

Some AD EGs will allow you to switch, or patch, between one shot and traditional modes.

AR almost always will go into release mode when the gate drops low.

Tony

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”