MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U Matrix Mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author 5U Matrix Mixer
dude
someone accidentally pm'd me regarding some eurorack modules that some other person was selling this morning, which prompted me to explore what the modules even were (as i had no idea whatsoever). turns out they were awesome. the harvestman modules look so creative/bizarre/badass. after a little research i found a number of matrix mixers on the euro side of the street. do we have a matrix mixer somewhere over here? i must be overlooking something. obviously the same utility could be found with a couple mixers but....i'm just sayin'
sandyb
can't say i'm aware of one commercially available although i'm sure a few people have made diy ones.
Luka
i was about to build a 5U x 4U matrix mixer but started to thing it may be better to pull it out of the modular system and make it stand alone. seems like a waste of space
Kent
Any analog mixer with busses and/or sends is a Matrix mixer. Just grab one if you wanna roll with it outboard stylee.
Luka
i really am pushing toward quadrature sound
so hoping for minimum 6x6 minimum
ie 4 corners (i,j,x,y) and 2 stereo (i+j, x+y)
perhaps even 8 x 8 so it includes diagonals (i+x, j+y)

the idea is this will be a performance tool
without getting a HUGE desk what choices are there?
dude
yeah, but that the harvestman one has 4x4 plus simultaneous +/- outs. thats what i am talking about particularly with the matrix aspect. having a different mix on the same incoming signals could produce some really interesting stuff particularly with logic modules. i suppose vca's could achieve the same result. but vca's are precious real estate.
Luka
yup its all about the bi-polar cv movements
widdly
I've been thinking a stand alone unit would be very useful too. I recently scored a digital mixer very cheaply and have been having loads of fun feedbacking signals through delay effects patched into the sends.

It would be nice to have switchable gain on the inputs and outputs so it could handle line, modular and guitar levels. 8 x 8 would be fantastic. With that you could setup a couple of independent matrix mixes, or use some channels to fan out signals, or just as level shifting interface between your modular and other gear. Ken Stone has a schematic on CGS.
dude
i couldn't find a matrix mixer on ken stones page. i saw a bunch of mixers but nothing that appeared matrix-like. wouldn't matter so much to me as i don't even know how to solder cry but somebody might benefit from a link?
DGTom
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs33_matrix_mixer_euro.html

that would be the matrix mixer then... about 1cm below the DC Mixer link.
dude
dunno why i didn't see that, any way thanks for the link.
Luka
my plan is to build ken's design but expanded onto veroboard
it should be pretty easy
krv
...NOT EXACTLY A MATRIX MIXER BUT.....
http://www.lunar-experience.com/591.html
doctorvague
krv wrote:
...NOT EXACTLY A MATRIX MIXER BUT.....
http://www.lunar-experience.com/591.html

That looks very useful!
megaohm
I'm working on a Matrix Mixer. Waiting for the first proto run of pcbs. Here's a panel mock-up of what it is going to look like (well, at the moment, at least). I'm open to suggestions.

p.
megaohm
Forgot to mention these are push/pull pots. Pull to invert. Three width MU/DotCom size.

megaohm wrote:
I'm working on a Matrix Mixer. Waiting for the first proto run of pcbs. Here's a panel mock-up of what it is going to look like (well, at the moment, at least). I'm open to suggestions.

p.
dude
wow, when would something like that be available? pricing? looks beautiful!
Luka
how can you make each stage switchable from polar to bipolar?
megaohm
dude wrote:
wow, when would something like that be available? pricing? looks beautiful!

Thanks for the compliment! Actually, I'm nervous about the look of the modules I am making simply because they are different than the norm (ie: Black). Your opinion is encouraging.

When will it be ready is hard to answer. I'm working on five modules at once (perhaps foolishly) so progress has been slow. But the matrix mix is pretty much ready, design wise. I just have to wait for the pcbs and order the panels. If everything goes right, I'd say a batch will be ready in approx. two months.

I haven't done a parts tally and the panel price is still unknown to me at this time so it's hard to say what the final price will be. I'll have a better idea once my Delta VCF panels are quoted (next week?).

Thanks,
Phil
dude
Luka wrote:

+1??

and to be honest, the look of the faceplate isn't what excites me, it's the function. i really kind of like the normal black of the majority of the MU stuff but then function is far more important.
megaohm
Luka wrote:

With push/pull pots you can rout the signal to invert or not invert.

One of the designs I tried used a toggle switch to make the inputs for each column uni to bipolar. It was frustrating to use because I had to readjust my level settings for when switching from uni to bi and visa versa.

p.
megaohm
dude wrote:

and to be honest, the look of the faceplate isn't what excites me, it's the function.

Aww, shucks. I had a big smile on my face before I read that.smile
dude
i am still unclear on this, are ALL knobs push/pull? if one +/- is used, does it affect the others down the line of the signal? am i making sense?

thanks
dude
sorry about that. i suppose the look of your other stuff seems more motmish and this seems more euro/fracish. congruency of aesthetics would lead me to think that the precedent thrown down by moog/polyfusion etc. so long ago is there for some reason but that's just my thoughts. again, function is WAY more important to someone like me. doesn't so much matter. i blabber other people may be more help there but good work on the function for sure!!!! nobody else seems to be making such a device in the MU realm so thanks for the effort! i look forward to a pricetag.
Luka
i was more interested in the circuit not the mechanics
do you have a mixer circuit for each knob?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3