MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

303 distortion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 303 distortion
sabasan
could someone suggest me some good distortion box for the 303
thanks
tony d
Sherman filterbank
dan_p
Nice soft subtle distortion sounds ace, i found a teaspoon driven hard just sounded amazing.

Actualy, the teaspoon is a brilliant box for jamming with the 303.
Kent
Check these demos out.
phono1337
my personal favorite is the mxr distortion+ (modern not vintage) just works so well with the 303
flts
cheap '80s mixer channel distortion. boss bx-16 and the other models of the series are classic choices. i just hope saying this doesn't mean the ebay prices suddenly skyrocket.
kons
MXR!

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m116-fullbore-metal

Is my choice... the more heavy metal the better. Isn't it ironic.

eq... a noise gate... and the 'scoop'... will liven up even a pale nineties clone...

*Paul* Like I said a Dinsync cv controlled distorto is the next logical step...

applause
thetwlo
phono1337 wrote:
my personal favorite is the mxr distortion+ (modern not vintage) just works so well with the 303

good call, that's the first distortion box I used, that really worked well with synths- MG-1 at least.
The Boss GL-100 is also pretty great.(for synths, never had a 303)
kuxaan-sum
I use an MXR M-104 Distortion+ and a Boss ODB2....occasionally I will use some an EHX English Muffn and Black Finger.
ignatius
Whatever you use put a touch of short room reverb on it. Really makes it sit in a mix.
depth20
+1 4 MXR+!

Don't think I've actually used it on my 303, but it sounds darn good on pretty much everything else, so why not on acid?
theabsent
flts wrote:
cheap '80s mixer channel distortion. boss bx-16 and the other models of the series are classic choices. i just hope saying this doesn't mean the ebay prices suddenly skyrocket.

BX-8/16 are amazing dist machines. There is a lot of good distortions available. Just test some out and choose the best for your style.
sabasan
so MXR M-104 and fullbore are the ones to check..
which model for the Boss ?
I thought there is a classic acid house pedal-chain-fx ?
I'm sorry but completely out of all the pedal stuff.

I also have the modular french fuzz that I will check today.

thanks for suggestion
mckenic
Dont have a 303 and Im not in to distortion BUT...

To my ears it sounds like my x0x & Russian Big Muff were made for each other!
Creamy!

love
magnetize
has to be the ts303
RobJB06
I think the Proco Rat sounds best on the 303
lvoemachine
I just bought a z-vex mastotron used at my local guitar center after using it for an hr w a mopho, and I'm super impressed. It has a wild amount of tonal variety, and really doesn't suck the bottom end too much (unless you want that of course, then the tone knob works fantastically). You can control the PWM of the fuzz and also how much the original signal pushes the circuitry and the level of fuzz as well. It does drop the levels a bit vs boosting, but other than that, I have nothing but praise for the design. it's silicon based, so it has great accuracy and clarity, with an amazing wooly nature to it that can be pushed as far as getting almost glitchy. I was popping back and forth between the original tone and effected and it had the ability (when dialed in right) to pull back out filtered out notes after the LPF...
flo
These demos comparing different distortions on the 303 might interest you...
Taika-Kim
I think Hardfloor used a Rat, and he's the point of comparison, right grin ?

I only have a self-made Biggmuff pi clone, and that has been doing fine. I think actually what's more important is what's happening before the distortion, a bit of HP or resonant LP can really give you that scream, especially the HP by removing some of the excess bass rumble & clip.
JBVries
Thermionic Culture - Vulture .... till i die :-)
b3nsf
metasonix TM-7 with mooger fooger CP-251 cv'ing the "scrotum" amount!! (cv'ing the cp-251 with tb-303 pitch cv out)

hyper
04tm34l3
magnetize wrote:
has to be the ts303

this shit
hexinverter
MXR+ -- all the way! Sounds SO good.

I actually just made a distortion project for eurorack based on this pedal. Will have PCBs for sale in the next month or two if you're into DIY. It should be a nice, easy build and clears up studio desk space from annoying pedals and stuff.

To my ears, it sounds nearly identical to the 303 in the Pump Panel Reconstruction remix of New Order's "Confusion"

Zenn
+1 on TS303, also the Korg distortion stompbox sounds very nice. Also (actual) tubeamps such as H&K Cream Machine can work very well.
StepLogik
If you don't mind DSP, the Adrenalinn is 1-stop shopping for all your 303 processing needs: midi clock sync , reverb, distortion/overdrive, etc. you also a get a tuner to keep the 303 in key. All of this in a nice, small package with an easy UI and superb sound quality.

For analog distortion, the metal muff offers a lot of controls for tonality adjustments but it can be a bit much to reign in.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2