MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Software Video Synthesis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Software Video Synthesis
emergencyofstate
I'd like to start creating some visualizations to go along with my tracks but am interested in keeping hardware out of the equation for now.

I know there are tools for effecting existing video footage, but what I would also like is the ability to create video as well (color, shapes, motion)

Any recommendations?
bluedonkey
For my money it would be this.

http://www.derivative.ca/

http://vimeo.com/groups/touchdesigner/videos

Harder to learn but is much more flexible than anything else.
emergencyofstate
bluedonkey wrote:
For my money it would be this.

http://www.derivative.ca/

http://vimeo.com/groups/touchdesigner/videos

Harder to learn but is much more flexible than anything else.

Looks awesome, thanks for the link. Unfortunately tho I'm on a mac. I could run a dual boot w/ bootcamp but that's not desirable.

Any thing remotely as flexible as this for mac?
bluedonkey
You could try Houdini, It's big brother.

WWW.sidefx.com

It has a Mac port. BUT i cant get the midi drivers to work. I'd just duel boot my machine. Houdini is pretty similar but touch is designed for live applications.

Derivative basically took 20 years of Hollywood special fx knowledge and made it into a vj system because Greg wanted to. I really don't think it would be easy to write something as powerful as Touch.
Cat-A-Tonic
I use ArtMatic.

http://uisoftware.com/artmatic/indexAMVY.php
emergencyofstate
I forgot to mention in my OP that I own and use live+maxforlive.

I stumbled across these which have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

V-Module - http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/594/v-module
VIZZable - http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/536/vizzable-plugin-suite

Also for anyone interested, there's an open google group "JitterInMax4Live" I can't paste the URL in here cause it blows up my post.
MrDys
I've used Isadora for such things: http://troikatronix.com/
Matos
Playing with vizzable right now. Brilliant fun! A bit confused by what's going on, but I've got some fun stuff happening already.
emergencyofstate
eek! cool! I haven't tried any of the vizzable patches yet. Although I'm about 4-6 hours in with V-Modules and I'm seeing a world of potential. I haven't even touched any "generators" yet but I've been using my webcam on my macbook pro as an input source and have been able to create very cool, visually stimulating stuff just with a few objects in a custom midi effects rack.

Now, I'm experimenting using midi clips with envelope automation to control the macros i've mapped to certain parameter controls. I'm thinking a 10-15 of these clips in a live set would = a pretty compelling visual companion to the track!
stk
Quartz Composer for Mac. I haven't used it, but fellow awesome wiggle spbaker uses it for his live & recorded visuals: https://vimeo.com/abreojos
bananeurysm
I do video synthesis with pure-data/GEM. It's pretty fun and free. I posted a super simple video synthesis patch in this thread that could get you started: www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57130
Cat-A-Tonic
I downloaded Xcode, but I can't even figure out how to open Quartz Composer. seriously, i just don't get it
Cat-A-Tonic
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I downloaded Xcode, but I can't even figure out how to open Quartz Composer. seriously, i just don't get it

oops figured this out.
Now I just have to learn how to patch it.

ArtMatic 5 is easier to get started with,
but it is also pretty deep so there is still a learning curve.
emergencyofstate
I'm finally getting to the point where I'm experimenting with renders. The following is using the Maxforlive V-module objects w/ Automation controlling the changes.

lizlarsen
Nice work!
MrDys
Love it.
spaceship
Awesome! I did not know you could do visuals like that using Max4Live.
MrDys
I messed around with V-Modules tonight. It's pretty powerful stuff. The thing that really bugs me about it, though is the way you have to route things from a dropdown menu. I understand why they have to do this, but that doesn't really make it any easier to deal with.

Vizzable is better in that regard (but has a lot less modules).

The funny thing about messing around with software video synthesis is that software seems to have a heavy emphasis on 3D (or at least, speaking in GL terminology), and I could not care less about that. Honestly, just give me the most 2D looking shapes and effects you've got and I am more than happy.
emergencyofstate
Thanks for the positive feedback guys SlayerBadger!

I hear what you're saying about all the OpenGL stuff. I haven't used most of that stuff cause I just don't know how it all works together. For example, how do I use a generator, plotter, renderer, texture, effects, together?

I can see the value though because OpenGL is relying on the GPU rather than the CPU
wcfields
emergencyofstate wrote:
I'm finally getting to the point where I'm experimenting with renders. The following is using the Maxforlive V-module objects w/ Automation controlling the changes.

How's the render time on that? What's your system specs? Can you do lower resolution (640x480) in real time?
MrDys
I had no problems with that. Could probably do larger resolutions in realtime as well. It just depends how complicated your patch is and how beefy your machine is.
emergencyofstate
wcfields wrote:
How's the render time on that? What's your system specs? Can you do lower resolution (640x480) in real time?

Good question, the render was done in real time w/ the Vizzable maxforlive plugin called "Recordr" I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the plugin just takes an input stream then live encodes it. I had to play with the settings for awhile to get a smooth render. I believe I used the photo jpg codec with "normal" quality. Several other experiments at higher qualities and different codecs resulted in either blank videos or choppy ass videos.

My system is

Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo
OSX 10.7.5
4GB

I need to do further render experimentation w/ Syphon and possibly dedicated screen recording apps.
i.m.klif
photo jpeg is pretty good compresion for real time work. it compresses fast enough, and files are not too big so hard disks can cope with it.

and yes, recorder just records what you put into it straight to disk.

"syphon recorder" is much more efficient than using record in jitter.

i started using realtime video with max in 2000. i had 200mhz macintosh with 6mb RAM 2gb hard disc and 1mb video ram smile at that time 320x240 was a standard resolution for realtime work. with todays computers expected standard/minimal output resolution is probably 1024x768. so, doing full pal/ntsc output is not a problem. you can always use too many fx, or use wrong codec (any MPEG codec is a terrible waste of processing power in VJ apps), etc, and you framerate starts slowing down, but you have to work harder than before to reach that point.

the nice thing about maxforlive is that since Vizzables and V-modules are just max patches, you can open them in max (30 day demo is great for that), edit, mess around, change something. integration of Max and Live is one of the really great things that happened recently. you get normal things like timeline, tap tempo, presets, etc from Live, and all other abnormal weird things from Max. Great combo!
ersatzplanet
The thing to use software video programs for is to make "seed" videos that can be mixed and mutated in realtime with hardware synthesizers. You can render up some pretty high resolution video fractal images with something like Artmatic and then key and mutate them live with sound or MIDI driven control signals on your hardware rig (which is faster). A while back I offered a bunch of looping videos for people to use and offered to make more of the types people liked but nobody asked. Stuff like this:

emergencyofstate
ersatzplanet wrote:
...A while back I offered a bunch of looping videos for people to use and offered to make more of the types people liked but nobody asked....

Cool stuff. Do you still have a collection of loopable footage you're interested in sharing?. I have been focusing on generating content from scratch but would love to mix that with other existing footage. There are TONS of other tools I haven't touched because they basically deal with clips and I 'aint got none.

I do however have access to some pretty decent camera equipment, I need to get out and shoot some footage.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2