MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Creative Doepfer A-199 Spring Reverb patch ideas?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Creative Doepfer A-199 Spring Reverb patch ideas?
blitzcarriage
My apologies if there is already a thread about this topic.

But just wondering if others have any creative patch ideas
for the Doepfer A199 spring reverb, besides the typical/traditional
spring reverb patches.

thanks!
exper
Check outs Nav's modular blog. He did a really nice demo showcasing different modules used with the feedback loop. The res4 and frequency shifter ones sounded particularly amazing. I like to run ring mods and filters in the path. Any way to change the feedback into something interesting.
sundog
For eerie, electroacoustic sequences send the feedback loop via a bandpass filter, gently & slowly modulate filter cutoff with a simple rise/fall and increase resonance until the feedback starts to come through. No input required for the A199 audio in.
boramx
For interesting noise, take a sine from an osc or resonating filter and take the 'reverb out' back to the source's FM inputs.

Mix out with mix to taste.

Could make percussive noise patch in conjunction with a VCA/env or just take the mix out for drone....
jimmyambulance
bump for more ideas?

anyone "play" the springs of their 199 tank a la Knas Moisturizer?
seraphon
With a lpgated sequence (or whatever) going into the 199, patch the 100% wet to a vca. Open vca with random source/lfo/clock division etc thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
eek!

I suppose mine is the only a-199 in existence that only serves a wash of mud regardless of what modules lines in the feedback loop? I know it's not circuit noise per se, but I never get anything interesting (a la Navs) out of it except your typical spring reverb sounds.
flo
Cool thread, keep it coming! I enjoy phasers after the reverb path a lot, for example with the SPH2.

Paranormal Patroler, where / how did you mount it in your case? It can get quite hissy near PSUs...

jimmyambulance wrote:

I have the tank outside the case, so yeah occasionally I like to hit those springs.
Paranormal Patroler
flo wrote:
Paranormal Patroler, where / how did you mount it in your case? It can get quite hissy near PSUs...

It's screwed inside my case, on the upper left corner, as far away from the PSU as possible. Keep in mind that my PSU is shielded and I'm not saying my a-199 is noisy/hissy. Far from it. But when I crack the feedback up it turns everything to mud.
boramx
something else i do sometimes is crank the mix full CW.

then i mute the springs with my fingers or stuff cottonballs in there.

this makes amazing, brittle slapback-like sounds. you will need to pump the post-gain a little for this one.
jimmyambulance
boramx wrote:
something else i do sometimes is crank the mix full CW.

then i mute the springs with my fingers or stuff cottonballs in there.

this makes amazing, brittle slapback-like sounds. you will need to pump the post-gain a little for this one.

exactly what i wanted to hear! can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

btw, your live performance videos are great @boramx! thanks for the pointer.
evil wizards
Try passing oscillators or a noise source through the springs pre filter/env/vca
Diao
If you have a dedicated output mixer, I always give a channel to the reverb direct out and one to the mix output (which I keep closer to the dry side) and then slightly one of each or both to give the illusion of a broad stereo image. Sounds really lush when you have a few of these chained up together.
Navs
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
eek!

I suppose mine is the only a-199 in existence that only serves a wash of mud regardless of what modules lines in the feedback loop? I know it's not circuit noise per se, but I never get anything interesting (a la Navs) out of it except your typical spring reverb sounds.

hihi Stick with it! I don't necessarily use the feedback loop: sometimes I just process or gate the wet signal. Having a VC mixer like the VCAM or VCA-4MX is good for this - it allows you to do your dry/ wet externally, gives you more control.

Another thing I'm fond of is using the reverb as a modulator. Its effect is not heard directly, but affects other elements within a patch. Try FMing the input signal with its own reverb wash. Stick a delay or S&H in the modulation path ...
Paranormal Patroler
I have no intention of letting it go hihi. In fact I'm considering of some DIY to add a second tank and switch between them. But I have to wonder how you managed those clean sounds in your examples, regardless of whatever I add in the feedback path the sound seems to remain the same. Maybe I should experiment more.
oliver69
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
In fact I'm considering of some DIY to add a second tank and switch between them.

Now that would be interesting to see! love If there is a possible DIY Hack or I Guess you could buy a second hand a199 and hook that up to a different spring... hmm
wselman
Not using the A-199 as the primary module, but inserting the A-199 into the feedback loop of the Echophon sounds like magic.

Another thing I like to do is use the 199 as a send from my mixing board and add the EHX polyphase after it in the return chain. With percussion, this is dub dub dub. Dead Banana
obiex
Sending an unrelated sound source eg another oscillator into the feedback in turns the 199 into a "reverberating mixer".
Stinktier86
Z3000 at lfo speed > a 106-1 x-treme filter > a-199.

Reverb operation:
Mid-low to mid-high empasis
high level/gain
almost only reverb on the mix

Filter operation:
Bypass HP by plugging a dummy.
Set it to self-resonance
Noodle with freq, lp level and clip

Depending on LFO shape and speed and the filter's settings, you have some eerie bomb sirens, mechanical cows or boat horns.

Quadrature LFO plus multiple filters might give even better sirens.
LeFreq
It's not THAT creative, but I love the sound of the 199 going into the Echophon (or another delay) as opposed to the usual Delay -> Reverb signal flow. It gives a really great, airy, fluffy effect. It's even better if you mult your audio signal and then you can further process the wet and dry separately.

As far as DIY for a second tank, there are a lot of easy ways to do it. There's also a thread I started talking about my solution. I'm too lazy to search but you could easily find it with my name + a-199. I use one of those VCR/DVD player switchers and an RCA splitter to have *remote controlled* switching between my tanks. thumbs up
1pauluzz1
jimmyambulance wrote:

Forgive me for this newby question, but can I connect a Knas spare tank to a Doepfer A-199 unit easily?

And, how much of a different sound will it bring?

I'm fond of sound design and if adding an additional tank for E 35,- brings in a whole new array of sounds, then that's an inexpensive nobrainer.

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/ersatzfedertank-fur-moisturizer.html
sean process
You need to watch out for the impedance ratings of the reverb tank. Accutronics model numbers tell you the impedance value. Not sure about other manufacturers. If you get the wrong tank then it will be mismatched with the driver in the module, so might be very quiet.

Check this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21021&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=40&sid=c9066a50a006d38d3b07644f47fd7682
1pauluzz1
Ah that's great info, thanks a lot!
far
LeFreq wrote:

I use one of those VCR/DVD player switchers and an RCA splitter to have *remote controlled* switching between my tanks. thumbs up

lol

I love the module, prob. my fave. so far and it's used in every patch one way or the other. I second seeing the feedback in as a mixer i/p, I like to mult. a sound in a patch and mix in between (said sound also being in a mixer channel after mult.).

I've kinda overlooked the reverb out to the point where I've forgotten it's there!
I'll have to start messing with it.
ben_hex
I'm imagine a noobie error here on my part but I had a patch earlier with a pinging bongo type sound into the input then out of the mix output to an attenuator then to my soundcard. All good, feedback, emphasis and mix all work as they should. The problem (or my stupidity) came with the feedback input. I took the 100% reverb out into a filter then ur of the filter and back into the external feedback in. I could only hear a difference if I cranked the resonance and swept that around. Didn't hear any filter of the reverb at all ... Should I have?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3