MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sync between 909 and 606
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author sync between 909 and 606
donaldm
Remember me? I'm the guy that was unsure of taking a 909 in on trade... We'll, in short. I love the box exponentially more than any other drumbox I've owned; I've found a million uses for it.

Enter the 606. I picked a 606 up off of eBay, I've always wanted one. Ideally the 909 will be hooked up to my tape machine via a sync track, so I can edit the 909 and my S900 (connected via midi tot he909) to my hearts content before finalizing and printing.

I was hoping I could also keep the 606 in sync with the 909 too. Is this possible? The 606 ha a switch on it to send or receive a sync signal, but the 909 only has sync in. Could I possibly be missing something. I won't have time to work with the machines for a few days so pardon my laziness in this mattter, I know it would take 2 minutes to figure out.
I thinks its time to buy a midi to sync box,it will solve a lot of problems for u then ,if you can find a 727 or 707 for cheap its also an alternative as this box can act as an midi to sync device
consumed
i use the korg kms30 for syncing multiple drum boxes (din sync and midi) and im very happy with it. you might consider looking for one.
donaldm
2012 wrote:
I thinks its time to buy a midi to sync box,it will solve a lot of problems for u then ,if you can find a 727 or 707 for cheap its also an alternative as this box can act as an midi to sync device

How would that work? Does the 909 send out midi timeclock or something that a midi to sync box could then convert to din sync on the 606?
donaldm wrote:
2012 wrote:

How would that work? Does the 909 send out midi timeclock or something that a midi to sync box could then convert to din sync on the 606?

yes
b3nsf
Hi,

Congrats on the Tr-909, its a wonderful machine.... glad to hear you picked up a tr-606 also!!

there is another way to sync them with one din cable, you plug it only halfway in on the 909's din jack.... it works great!

this "halfway" trick goes back to the 90's..... I've done it before, but if your gonna do it all the time a sync box like doepfer and Rees

suitandtieguy
right now i'm using a Time Buffer (one of my own modules) to distribute DIN sync to a CR-8000 and a TR-909, and at some point i will also be syncing at 808 off of it as well.

i stripe the machine (an ADAT HD24) with MMT-8 tape sync, then use the MIDI clock off of the MMT-8 to drive a x0xb0x, which is spitting DIN sync to the Time Buffer, which has a front panel output, and a wiring harness coming off the back going to a DIN socket plugged into a cable going to the other drum machine.

if you have a Synthesizers.com system, i can make you a Time Buffer with 2 outputs. alternatively, i could put the PCB in a box with just DIN sockets, 1 in and 8 out, and power it from a cheap 5v wallwart.

but if you've only got 2 machines, i'd strongly recommend the Doepfer MSY thing. it's got 2 outputs. MMT-8s are cheap enough as well ... they're worth having around for tape sync if your machine (like mine) doesn't support MIDI clock.
computer controlled
2012 wrote:

Actually it won't. The 707/727 doesn't spit DIN Sync when slaved to anything. Only when it's the master clock. These would fetch MUCH more money if they DID act as a converter =o]

You're best bet is to get something like the Philip Reese box shown above. I use one and it works perfectly. But you'll need to use MIDI rather than a click track.
computer controlled wrote:
2012 wrote:

Actually it won't. The 707/727 doesn't spit DIN Sync when slaved to anything. Only when it's the master clock. These would fetch MUCH more money if they DID act as a converter =o]

Yes u are right,my bad d'oh! ,i did us the 727 in master controlling the 909 then i got sync out from the 727 driving the 808 and an philip rees hooked up at the 909 midi out to drive the 303
the handy feature whas in fact to drive the 909 (+ its midi slaves)via sync out of the 808 so u can use the fine tempo of the 808 to match live tempo of a vinyl (or any recording)in sync
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1