MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

QuNexus - Kickstarter for mini keyboard with CV I/O
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author QuNexus - Kickstarter for mini keyboard with CV I/O

skrasms

I installed the firmware update, but I still hear slew. I scoped the output voltage again to see the difference. Here is a capture of a 2V output step from before the update:

Here it is after the update:

Try to ignore the vertical bars. The time scale is the same for both captures. The new version definitely gets "most of the way there" faster, but the time it takes to fully settle at the target pitch looks about the same. It sounds less annoying than I remember it being before the update.

slovo

I guess we have to assume this is the best they could do given the limitations of the hardware...

radiokoala

I wonder how different the amount of money they collected on kickstarter would be if they had shown those pitch cv scope shots in the beginning...

filmersam

I bet it's really expensive hardware that outputs non-slewed CV.

newgreyarea

Booooo!!!!

soundwave106

filmersam wrote:

I seriously doubt that... I'm curious what DAC and op amp they are using to produce that shitty of a slew... confused

slovo

I'm too noob to feel understanding from an oscillo reading tho. Any chance to get an audio demo? I keep thinking perhaps if it's slight enough I could live with it as a minor limitation... I dunno

johnnylonz

Pretty lame, I was looking forward to picking one of these up. Hopefully it gets sorted at some point.

newgreyarea

I've been using it with my iPad while traveling. Pretty decent for that. VERY disappointed with the CV slew. I could have purchased a much less expensive iPad keyboard.

theabsent

Anyone in europe want to unload their slewy qunexus? 8_)

amnesia

that sux
I wanted to buy one but wont until the slew is fixed

SamUK

skrasms wrote:
I installed the firmware update, but I still hear slew. I scoped the output voltage again to see the difference. Here is a capture of a 2V output step from before the update:

Here it is after the update:

Try to ignore the vertical bars. The time scale is the same for both captures. The new version definitely gets "most of the way there" faster, but the time it takes to fully settle at the target pitch looks about the same. It sounds less annoying than I remember it being before the update.

Have any of the owners contacted KMI support about the 'fix'?

earlykooka

I was looking to buy one to use for ,iPad and laptop, and principally for CV ... so very disappointed re the slew.

a couple of questions :

is the slew time/shape identical on all three CV outs ?

with the new 'gets most of the way there quicker' update, if you put a quantizer on the CV from the Qunexus, is the slew shape 'slow' enough that you hear it it go through other note(s) ? (unfortunately I am guessing the answer is yes based on the oscilloscope) .. but could a partial workaround ( for sequencing applications) be using a triggered quantizer, and delaying the trigger just enough to let the slew go by ? - thus replacing slew by latency ( which can then be adjusted for, in most sequencer programs and some hardware)

jumping through hoops for sure, but for some applications could maybe be a workaround ?

sersch

I am not an owner of QuNexus, but I asked KMI support nevertheless if the slew can be reduced further. The answer was that they doubt it will get any faster.

As I am planning to use the QuNexus as a MIDI controller only, I am still planning on getting one (once it will become available here in Germany).

Please, can somebody be so kind and post two audio examples with the latested firmware, one of alternating 1 octave playing, and another one with alternating 2 octave playing?

joshuagoran

sersch wrote:
I am not an owner of QuNexus, but I asked KMI support nevertheless if the slew can be reduced further. The answer was that they doubt it will get any faster.

As I am planning to use the QuNexus as a MIDI controller only, I am still planning on getting one (once it will become available here in Germany).

Please, can somebody be so kind and post two audio examples with the latested firmware, one of alternating 1 octave playing, and another one with alternating 2 octave playing?

This would be helpful. I mainly want one for CV only uses so if it sounds like zombie then it's a no go for me. Create Digital Music says they plan to do a follow up review with Eurorack/MS-20 mini equipment.

filmersam

soundwave106 wrote:
filmersam wrote:

I seriously doubt that... I'm curious what DAC and op amp they are using to produce that shitty of a slew... confused

Yeah I was being a little sarcastic.

chipaudette

filmersam wrote:
soundwave106 wrote:
filmersam wrote:

Yeah I was being a little sarcastic.

I'm assuming that it is not a DAC, or else it wouldn't have the slew. Instead, I bet they're doing PWM off one of the digital pins on the microcontroller. They then have to put in a resistor and cap to act as a low pass filter to get rid of the high PWM frequency. Even with sneaky PWM encoding, the resistor and cap will ultimately limit how fast the CV output can change.

Chip

joshuagoran

I found these audio tests of the slew issue. Not mine, just to be clear.

This definitely helps me put things in perspective. Not the worst thing I've ever heard, but certainly not "Snappy" as I saw quoted (or at least I think it was quoted) in CDM's recent feature (which comes off like an extended advertisement... confused ) on the QuNexus.

Might be liveable for me, but I tend to like glide/portamento anyway and might just deal with it. YMMV screaming goo yo

ersatzplanet

joshuagoran wrote:

This definitely helps me put things in perspective. Not the worst thing I've ever heard, but certainly not "Snappy" as I saw quoted (or at least I think it was quoted) in CDM's recent feature (which comes off like an extended advertisement... confused ) on the QuNexus.

Might be liveable for me, but I tend to like glide/portamento anyway and might just deal with it. YMMV screaming goo yo

The QuNexus vs. the Kenton seems to really show the difference. The QN's slew is not too bad and I could probably live with it. I seldom do 3 octave jumps like that anyway.

slovo

I love to do wacky stuff like that, but I still might live with it. It does so many other things so affordably that it might be worth it to have some minor quirks.

cliffman

joshuagoran wrote:

I'm the guy that did those tests, thanks for the link. Saves me re-posting to this thread. smile
My opinion: If the CV speed is crucial, the Kenton Pro Solo is about $60 more than the QuNexus. 200us slew vs 15ms slew, 3 octave jump. Pretty obvious to hear, as well.
But, Pro Solo is only CV outs, and the QuNexus has many, many more features. So for me, the other features, (CV In in particular) make it worth keeping.

Also, imho, a lot depends on how you react to the feel of the keyboard, which is more like a drum trigger to me than a 'keyboard' feel. ( there is a video up of a jazz pianist playing 'Summertime' on one, maybe it's me, but it sounds like she's having a bit of trouble being really fluid, seems a cautious performance.. )

For me, the QuNexus is a huge win for iPad use, (was using korg nano - no comparison) more of a utility tool/controller option in the modular space, with the CV in -> MIDI out being the big win there.
At this point, I would advise getting a hands-on session with one before you decide.

Erpi

Thanks Cliffman for your tests - if you don't plan to do 3 octaves jump do you think the Qunexus may be a viable solution as an external CV to midi interface? I do not want to use a eurorack interface (no Kenton/expertsleepers/ pitts midi) and it seems portable and useful, the keys don't bother me if it is possible to use another USB keyboard at the same time - do you think it is possible and stable enough from your experience?

greenscreens

anyone know how to get the qunexus to send modwheel information from the pitch bend ?

cliffman

Erpi wrote:
Thanks Cliffman for your tests - if you don't plan to do 3 octaves jump do you think the Qunexus may be a viable solution as an external CV to midi interface? I do not want to use a eurorack interface (no Kenton/expertsleepers/ pitts midi) and it seems portable and useful, the keys don't bother me if it is possible to use another USB keyboard at the same time - do you think it is possible and stable enough from your experience?

Have you had a listen? I do play some simple diatonic lines. My answer would be 'it depends' - I have no idea what your real expectations are. If you have a computer/software to merge, or something like the iConnect MIDI, you can use multiple USB devices.

For me, no -it's not viable as my main CV interface. I use Silent Way/ES-3 for that. But it is quite handy, and something I use quite a bit.

Erpi

Thank you very much for your answer cliffman.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 6 of 11