MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Software editor for Oberheim Matrix 1000?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Software editor for Oberheim Matrix 1000?
Damo303
Anyone know of a good software controller/editor for the Oberheim Matrix 1000? On a Mac?

Or even a modern hardware controller that will work with it? Perhaps the BCR2000 has a template (haven't found one online yet though)
aksen
kiwitechnics patch editor is sposed to be pretty good. not a cheap option though. been looking at getting one myself for my m1000, as i'm not using it at all because i have an aversion to using other people's presets.
Kaput
Obie Editor. Free.

http://dqueffeulou.free.fr/softs/m1000osx.php

thumbs up
Damo303
Thanks, I didn't realise the kiwi unit supported the Oberheim Matrix 1000, might have to invest in one.!
Rex Coil 7
Midi Quest. Best one I've used (I even have Sound Diver).
acidbob
OB6000 for PC is really good
Curtischip
Rex, re Midi Quest, what comp you using? and what OS I've had a ton of probs with MQ Lately Been bouncing emails back and forth with Michael recently trying to resolve my issues.. btw there will be an new update soon
chinard
Curtischip wrote:
btw there will be an new update soon

wow i hope so, i have a bunch of patch archives for some of my older midi gear that is saved to my midiquest.
It would be nice to use it again, it was good software when it worked
Curtischip
Chinard, are you working on latest mac OS? as there is a work around.. my issue are related to editing (prophet VS and Voyetra 8) and not old file dumps this works ok, np with sending and receiving new and old bank transfers
chinard
yes i am on latest os.
couple of months ago mike sent me some work around but it didnt help, maybe pm me with what he sent you and i could try it on mine.
REwire
Curtischip wrote:
... my issue are related to editing (prophet VS and Voyetra 8) and not old file dumps this works ok, np with sending and receiving new and old bank transfers

I've been using MQ for years on PC with tons of synths but the Prophet-VS also gives me trouble. I can send and audition patches fine but editing is not a real time experience. I think it's more a VS issue as early uses of Midi Sysex were not implemented well.

It also worked perfect for the Matrix-1000

Dan
Curtischip
@REwire, what version is your VS?
Rex Coil 7
Curtischip wrote:
Rex, re Midi Quest, what comp you using? and what OS I've had a ton of probs with MQ Lately Been bouncing emails back and forth with Michael recently trying to resolve my issues.. btw there will be an new update soon
An 8+ year old Pent4/WinXP machine. It's a rack mounted Carillon with 2gb RAM. Nothing special really.

I've read elsewhere that your midi interface can affect how well some of these programs work, especially realtime editing situations. I'm not a midi guru, but it had something to do with either the bandwidth or perhaps the transfer speed or something like that. All midi interfaces are not the same, so it would seem. In fact I was just about to post a thread about that very subject when I saw this thread popping up again.

I know one of the less than good midi interfaces mentioned were the UNO units. I cannot remember which specification it is that has to do with smooth transfer or fast transfer though.

I read about that midi issue in a thread in some forum about the editor used for the MOPHO synth module. Perhaps I can dig it up.

Just sayin'.
Rex Coil 7
FOUND IT!

Ok, this thread was about the editor made by SoundTower for the DSI Mopho. People were having pretty much the same kind of issues that have been mentioned in this thread here about editors in general. I've snipped a few quotes from that thread in Gearslutz.

Here's a link to the thread ... http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic -music-production/342890-mopho-editor-question.html

Here's some snips .... (quoting) ...

** (post #47 member "Altitude909") "Maudio UNO: BAD BAD BAD. All these editors and devices (DSI gear in particular) have heavy use of sysex. Class complaint windows drivers have two very bad issues when it comes to sysex, a) cant send longer strings and will truncate them which can hang the receiving device since it wont get the F8 at the end of the string b) limit the time between msgs. Both will cause issues with editors which require feedback from the device. The thrid issue with the uno is that it is hands down the worst midi interface ever made. I use it for note on testing only for my DIY gear and even there it is pretty poor since it sends a relatively weak signal. I have benchmarked several midi interface recently and the uno was easily 4 times worse than any other interface as far as latency and jitter. The same complaints arose with the Evolver editor and always boiled down to issues with the midi interface."

** (post #49 member Altitude909) "Try it with a different midi interface "

** (post #51 member Altitude909) "As far as your uno, there is probably more factors than I mentioned to whether it will work or not. I know that for me, the wavestation editor would not work with my midisport 2x2 or uno (it sends ridiculous amounts of data back and forth) but did work with my midex interface."

** (post #61 member Zooey) "I bought the pro editor hoping it would solve my issues. Basically, when I make the proper selections in the MIDI setup window of the editor, I get a message that "UNKNOWN is Connected." Not DSI. Not Mopho. I can change patches from the hardware, and those are reflected in the editor, but not the other way around. Also, none of the other parameters except patch change seem to be connected. I dragged out an old edirol MIDI interface that uses its own driver in Mac OSX. I'm going to try that tonight. Just having no luck with an Axiom Pro keyboard controller."

** (post #62 member Zooey) "Update to my issue: the UM-2 (10 years old?) recognizes and fully connects to the Mopho without issue. I can still play the Mopho with the Axiom Pro by identifying the Axiom USB in the Keyboard Controller tab of MIDI setup. So I guess I'm set as long as I want to use two MIDI interfaces. I think there must be some setting on the Axiom that would allow me to just use that, but I haven't found it yet."

(END QUOTES)

So then, it appears that the midi interface itself can have a huge impact on whether or not a given editor will work well or not. I don't know if what I am going on and on here about will help at all, but I figured it was worth a shot if I could end up providing information that might help someone.

seriously, i just don't get it
REwire
Curtischip wrote:
@REwire, what version is your VS?

It's a rack and boots up saying r1.1
Could the version be interfering with Sysex?

I haven't any experience with Mac midi interfaces so every PC interface worked for any instrument I had, except one: a Prophet 5 v3. I could not dump the P5 to MQ because it did not send an F7 end byte. Michael said only one of the old MPU type midi interfaces would work, or a Mac; which he gave me MQ for my old Powerbook 190.

MQ was cool for another thing. I had an MKS80 but not the MPG80 controller but MQ could assign midi CC to any on screen editor function and I assigned 8 sliders of a midi controller for my fav parameters. Even once used my modular to go to midi, into MQ then to the MKS80. There was plenty of lag so fast LFOs were out.

Dan
Curtischip
@Dan,
I also have the a rack VS but mine is V1.2 which is recommended for better sysex performance, also it has some other features such as LFO key synchronisation I got my roms from ebay but wine country also sell them at 34.95$ for the pair. Also within MQ you can delay the sysX transmissions to help the flow of data this is set Via prefs- midi.. maybe you've tried this?

Rex, as you a mature system most things should work ok unlike newer comps etc, my MQ was happy with my previous mac..
Regarding compatibility with certain midi interfaces etc there are many interfaces that are not up to scratch with current OS's not 64 bit compatible or Intel compatible, I know Motu offer rom upgrades for older models https://www.motu.com/store/hardware and certain manufactures are not updating/supporting drivers for older models,

So for anyone who is gonna buy a used midi interface a bit of research is needed to see if it will work with your current set-up
Altitude909
@Rex Coil 7

What I was talking about in that post is a bit different than the issue with the M1000. On the M1000 the processor cannot handle a large stream of sysex data (the data is VERY simple actually), if it is sent too fast, the processor freezes. Most editors will simply send the sysex data as fast as they can and that is WAY to fast for the m1k to respond. My guess is that the underlying problem has something to do with how sysex data is parsed compared to other midi data, for instance if you assign a parameter to one of the real time controllers like volume pedal or mod wheel, it wont choke at all despite its still a 7 bit value and you can wail away on it as fast as you want.

Anyway, I assume that the editors that DO work correctly take that into account and slow things down
Rex Coil 7
Very cool. I was just taking a shot in the dark with what I posted (as I said in the post). I didn't know if the midi interface issue was something contributing to problems or not. I am not trying to champion that idea, I was just throwing it in as a possibility.

As I said, just trying to help. smile One never knows when something simple may have been overlooked.
stikygum
I think the Lemur has a template for the 1K. Can't beat the Lemur stuff.
jnlkrt
stikygum wrote:
I think the Lemur has a template for the 1K. Can't beat the Lemur stuff.

indeed, my flatmate is using it successfully, looks cool!
dougt
At a fraction of the price of a Lemur there is a Matrix-1000 preset available for the BCR-2000 in the BC2000 Yahoo group...
Rex Coil 7
dougt wrote:
At a fraction of the price of a Lemur there is a Matrix-1000 preset available for the BCR-2000 in the BC2000 Yahoo group...
I just bought a BCR2000 last night. Can't wait for it to show up. Then today I saw a video about using it to control the OPX ProII, which I bought over last x-mas at 50% off. As good as the OPX Pro II sounds, combined with the power that the BCR2000 offers, it's a win/win. I'm even toying with adding a 2nd BCR2000 to my rig for other purposes. Beats the synth editor hands down for realtime use.

Even if you must map out the controls manually, it is still pretty cool.
Neo
Hardware editors are great for wiggilng (I have the Access one) but for the matrix 1000 you still need software to access the modulation matrix.
soundwave106
Neo wrote:
Hardware editors are great for wiggilng (I have the Access one) but for the matrix 1000 you still need software to access the modulation matrix.

You might as well use software in my opinion, because for real-time wiggling, the response rate of the Oberheim Matrix 1000 is pretty sluggish. It's a nice synth for less snappy type of sounds though.
Rex Coil 7
They just sound killa. This video is so nice, it shows off the MX1K as well as the Cyclone arpeggiator (I've got a Cyclone and a Strummer). Great combo. Too bad the MX1K doesn't respond to realtime controllers very well. I suppose as long as the editor does the job in realtime (ish) then you can get by well enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qERLbMoFMw

Yup ... smile Probably my fave MX1K vid.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2