MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

questions about the metasonix r-52!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author questions about the metasonix r-52!
DonKartofflo
Hey fellas, I just got a quick question:
I have been thinking about buying an r-52 since I like its sound from audio demos, especially its sorta soft and big growl.
However, it doesn't seem to get a lot of love around here, while people are expressing heir love for the other r modules, the r-52 seems to not really get a lot of mention... how come?

cheers
Don
Cat-A-Tonic
The range of the Tuning Offset, and Resonance controls probably throws a lot of people off.

There is a narrow range (sweet zone) in which the R-52 functions as a normal VCF.
Outside that you get wild oscillations and weirdness.
The input knob usually has to be turned down about halfway (with modular level signals) if you want it to sound filtery.

You need to use a voltage offset if you want to sweep the filter through the typical range with a knob.
slow_riot
I don't think you get anything unexpected outside of the sweet spot, you just don't get any range to apply changes to cutoff frequency.

I think it's a very nice and interesting filter, one of my faves of the R series. It's not good for classic 24dB subtractive synthesis, but it's very characterful and suitable for alternative synthesis methods. It's very level sensitive and requires attentive listening to find the results that are pleasing for you.

One thing that is tricky, is that ideally it needs a hot signal going in to overdrive it (if you want that), +/-10v from typical solid state devices is fine, with tube oscs you might want to try adding more gain.

It also works really well with quieter signals going in, but there is some noise present from the switching power supply, that becomes more evident with lower volumes.

Also the output is quite low, so amplification afterwards can be necessary, but hey, these are tubes, you can just work with what is available.
ritchiedrums
Mine had a very "Nasal" tone to it.
Didn't use it much.
Love the R54 as a Filter!!
James
Mine's currently orphaned but I always enjoy using it. Definitely takes a little tweaking and it's not for every patch but when you find a sweet spot it sounds really excellent. I haven't really found any way to replicate its strengths in other modules.
metasonix
So, does anyone want to actually buy R52s? I could make more, but want to see some serious interest first.
beedeesmith
metasonix wrote:
So, does anyone want to actually buy R52s? I could make more, but want to see some serious interest first.

I do! I'll be picking up one later this month.

-Bryan
confusedinNC
metasonix wrote:

I just bought one and absolutely want to get a second one thumbs up
DonKartofflo
metasonix wrote:

actually not sure yet. It is between an r-52 and an r-51. I just want some yellow in my cab...
radiodread87
I love the R52, some things about it are quirky (its metasonix so that should be no real surprise)

the Resonance has to be quite high on it to get a louder signal from it (at least on mine..) and as mentioned it likes a nice hot input signal, TTA Z3000mk2 is great into it, if I am using an R54 most times its fine but if I want more gain I will put it into an R51 before with another R51 on the output.

It has sweet spots that make it well worth owning but as a filter its really unique and I wouldn't part ways with mine. Not many people have them I think, the R54 gets the most love and I do really enjoy that one as a filter too but the R52 is sufficiently different sounding to make both worth owning.
metasonix
If you are serious, I will order more boards and get them built up. Impossible to judge the demand for modules sometimes, because of the often-huge gaps between orders.
decaying.sine
I got 2 R-52's. How many should I have? 8_)
bendedavis
Just got an R52 today, I modded it with 6CB6 tubes SlayerBadger!

SubliminalSandwich
Just ordered my R-52 today.. It's peanut butter jelly time!

one of only 2 available in the uk it seems..

oooh the exitement is definitely a shade of yellow.. smile
SubliminalSandwich
Loving the R-52, really flexible sound.. only wish there was cv control over the filter response.. hihi

Ive noticed in the 'high' setting, the resonance is much less pronounced.. is this the same with other users units?

Combining different input levels through R-51 and R-52 gives you sooo much control.

Gonna try putting my audio through other, (clean) VCAs before these two and cv control the input.. with a compressor at the end to even stuff out these two will sing (or scream!)
askek
love the r52! so warm and beautiful.
wellurban
SubliminalSandwich wrote:
Loving the R-52, really flexible sound.. only wish there was cv control over the filter response.. hihi

So do I!

I was wondering: since the R-52 is two filters in parallel, and the RESPONSE knob mixes between them, how hard would it be to modify it to get the straight output from one of them? That way, you could put the separate outputs into a VC corssfader and essentially get cv control over filter response.

My DIY skills are limited, but my intuition is that this wouldn't be all that hard. There's even a spare hole in the panel for another jack!
thermionicjunky
wellurban wrote:

I was wondering: since the R-52 is two filters in parallel, and the RESPONSE knob mixes between them, how hard would it be to modify it to get the straight output from one of them? That way, you could put the separate outputs into a VC corssfader and essentially get cv control over filter response.

My DIY skills are limited, but my intuition is that this wouldn't be all that hard. There's even a spare hole in the panel for another jack!

I did this with a TM-6. I added extra opamp buffers to isolate the filters (though I had to change the internal crossfader because it no longer worked correctly with the added buffers). Now I have the same functionality for the mixed output and completely independent outputs for each filter. VC crossfading is as useful as you would think.
FatRocky
bendedavis wrote:
Just got an R52 today, I modded it with 6CB6 tubes SlayerBadger!

How does it sound after that tube change? does it affect filter range/resonance or signal gain?
Neither
What is the "range select" switch supposed to do? I can't find any mention of it in the manual...
ritchiedrums
The RANGE switch controls the range of the upper resonant peak.

It should make a change in the sound while it is going nuts!! lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1