MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Little Boy Buchla
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Little Boy Buchla
ex_dead_teenager
I just got a LBB in the mail today and I'm wondering It's bananafied with sending it's CV from the envelope follower to a Buchla do anything detrimental? how about sending CV from the Buchla into the LBB? It's mainly just a point of curiosity right now because I don't yet have my Buchla it's still at B&A waiting for more modules but once I get it should I write this off straight away or do any of you know if they would make good playmates?
fluxmonkey
jessica rylan (designer of LBB) was working at Buchla last i heard... she could probably tell ya...
ndkent
That's unusual/exciting if true about Jessica. She'd be the one to ask about any no good signals for her instrument.

I don't have a LBB but I'd think that since it's 9v battery powered it won't itself spit out anything too dangerous since while not a hard and fast rule it's rare to see synths spit out a higher voltage unless we are talking about tiny levels of phantom mic power or something unusual.

Buchla triggers can get hotter than 9v so that's something to investigate in the other direction.

I don't think the LBB has a ground out. I'd think you could take the ground out of the audio out a number of ways and ground that to the buchla case ground banana

the LBB does not differentiate CV and audio, Buchla does. So CV would likely have to be attenuated and custom cabled I'd guess.

A voltage mixer with a voltage source for offset can be handy to get a CV or CVs into a more optimum range.
ex_dead_teenager
HMMMMM. Jessica Ryland works for Don hunh? I'll shoot her an e-mail and see what she thinks. So far this LBB is the funnest instrument I've bought in a long time it's so simple, deceptively so in fact, it's battery powered and strange like an APC with an envelope follower and sawtooth oscillators instead of square.

I took it busking today at the beach, together with a phaser pedal it's a deadly combination. I'm geting excited about guitar pedals now for the first time in a long time because they're small and can further alter the sound while I'm on the street.

didn't make a dime but I got a LOT of dirty looks from people and I think I made a new friend too.

Best busking instrument EVER!
chimologic
I think this might be some confusion because she did an album last year where she worked on a Buchla system at a University, as far as I know she still lives in the Northeastearn part of the US. But yeah, email her she would know.

C.
chinard
okay, i'll bite..
what is this LBB and where can i find more info on it?
parasitk
chinard wrote:
okay, i'll bite..
what is this LBB and where can i find more info on it?

http://www.flowerelectronics.com/Standard.html
chinard
oh that thing.. yeah i have seen it floating around before.
i misunderstood the OP, and was thinking someone was making a 9v powered buchla... hmmm.....
bwhittington
Man, that's awesome! If I had walked by, I probably would have dropped a fiver. Post a video of that action on Youtube. That would be hilarious. Way to start a revolution . . . hihi

Cheers,
Brian

ex_dead_teenager wrote:

I took it busking today at the beach, together with a phaser pedal it's a deadly combination. I'm geting excited about guitar pedals now for the first time in a long time because they're small and can further alter the sound while I'm on the street.

didn't make a dime but I got a LOT of dirty looks from people and I think I made a new friend too.

DGTom
bwhittington wrote:
Post a video of that action on Youtube.

Please do this. But, get a bunch of your friends, dress em like tourists & have them take turns filming, don't want people to modify their reactions!
ex_dead_teenager
Oh I think it'll be hidden camera. I had a guy try and pick a fight with me today when I went out it was AWSOME!

btw, I heard from Jessica today but while it's true she's worked for Don in the past she's never tried hooking them up. I'll probably give it a shot when I get my system sent out but I want to get a couple more modules in it while it's at B&A first.
confusional
Redacted.
ndkent
Well you really don't have to actually hook one up to find out because after all they are going to work to some extent, you just don't want to hit on a nasty surprise.

All you really need to know about the LBB is how much voltage would damage the LBB and does it by some fluke put out much more than 9v, which I really doubt.

The only thing that I've heard that could be dangerous to something from the Buchla are some kinds of Buchla combined trigger gates. I'm not sure if you'd normally be connecting them but intentionally or unintentionally you might. I think they are supposed to be 10v but I've heard that vintage modules and the 250e do more.
ex_dead_teenager
this is all good to know.

on the subject of the LBB being a glorified thingamagoop I don't know becauswe I don't have anything made by Bleep but the LBB is easy to write off untill you play it it's a wonderful instrument for loud drones and extreme FM sounds plus the envelope follower and preamp are very useful. I think it's almost more fun to play than the rest of my synth, I can't wait until I get a format jumbler so I can include it in the modular madness.

For now though this thing and a small hand full of pedals is a noise-core wet dream come true.
chocolatyshatner
ex_dead_teenager wrote:

I took it busking today at the beach . . .

This scenario makes me happy applause
confusional
Redacted.
parasitk
The LBB is all discrete and sounds thick as hell. SlayerBadger! I like the Thingamastuff too, but it doesn't have the raw power that the LBB has, IMO.
ex_dead_teenager
bradleyallen wrote:
ex_dead_teenager wrote:

on the subject of the LBB being a glorified thingamagoop I don't know becauswe I don't have anything made by Bleep but the LBB is easy to write off untill you play it it's a wonderful instrument for loud drones and extreme FM sounds plus the envelope follower and preamp are very useful. I think it's almost more fun to play than the rest of my synth, I can't wait until I get a format jumbler so I can include it in the modular madness.

For the record, I was not in any way writing off the LBB. I was speaking more to its 9v power, basic construction, and frequent pairing with pedal effects and such.

Enjoy your musical instrument and have fun with it. Rockin' Banana!

sorry about the misunderstanding. I guess I was reading myself into your comments. Bleep Labs stuff looks a bit too much like kids toys to me. I mean they're cure as hell and when my kid is old enough I'd buy him a thinkamagoop in a heartbeat I'd even probably use it myself but maybe it's the anthopomorphism of the whole bleep asthetic but it doesn't look enough like an instrument to me.

of course I'm dumb like that no disrespect.
ex_dead_teenager
Chocolateyshatner your username makes me happy applause
ex_dead_teenager
I just got a friend to film my busking set you can see it in this thread if you like https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7338&postdays=0&post order=asc&start=20
Lyonel
For those who haven't heard the LBB PreAmp. here is a simple Drum-Loop twisted thru it. [s]http://soundcloud.com/lyonel/lbb-follower[/s]
It reminds me the Shermann but quiet different or the Assblaster but very dissimilar spinning
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1