MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need help : Pro Tools + Korg ESX synchronization nightmare
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Need help : Pro Tools + Korg ESX synchronization nightmare
Paraphonique
Ok, I'll try to summarize my problem the best that I can. I've been working on sequencer-heavy tracks lately and crappy synchro is starting to drive me crazy. very frustrating

After years of trouble using PT as a MIDI master clock to synchronize the rest of my gear, and experiencing all sorts of MIDI lag issues, I've decided to try to do a few experiments to bypass all of this.

So I've used my Korg ESX drum machine/sampler as the master clock while letting PT record my session at the exact same tempo without any synchronization, thinking that I could always drag all the tracks to the left of the screen to make the whole thing fit to the grid.

Well, guess what... Even when aligning the first hits to the first bar on the grid, the tracks are still noticeably lagging or rushing ! cry cry cry

Am I missing something ? Any idea on how to resolve this without having to chop or adjust everything manually ?

Thanks ! Dead Banana

-P
Hemmerlinj
What's your playback buffer set to ? Although you may need to increase the buffer for a higher track count or your computer can't quite handle it you can have some issues with midi sync. Try not using any plugins and get everything running smooth and then record the synths to track and then do any processing with plugins and have the midi tracks and soft synths inactive.
rowman
Sequencers will always drift if running from separate clocks, even set to the same BPM. Folks seem to sing the praise of Expert Sleepers and Innerclock modules for getting midi sync out of the computer.

If you sync the electribe to PT, even though there's lag, is it constant enough that you can just shift the tracks into alignment post recording?
os
Yup, Silent Way plus an ES-5 or ESX-8GT will sort you out here. There's an AAX beta of Silent Way for PT users on the Expert Sleepers forum, here on Muffs.
Paraphonique
rowman wrote:
If you sync the electribe to PT, even though there's lag, is it constant enough that you can just shift the tracks into alignment post recording?

Well, that's the workaround I'm using right now. Still, it would be better to be able to let the computer working in the background without having to sync everything all the time.

But... that's a insignificant problem in the greater scheme of things.

Thanks for the input guys !

-P
toby
If youre lining up the start of the audio it can be useful to line up from the 2nd bar, or the snare instead of the first kick in a typical beat, then you can drag it backmif needs be.
Ive found that the first beat when you start a sequencer can be a bit off, like the sequencer has to get going or wake up.
toby
Or get some elektron gear, their clock is rock solid
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1