MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Your top 10 albums of the Decade
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Your top 10 albums of the Decade
neandrewthal
Four month warning for the top 10 albums of the decade thread.

So, go back through all those discs you loved in 2001 but haven't listened to since and start getting your list ready hmmm.....

Edit: Time's up. Post Now!
neandrewthal
Double Post evil
neandrewthal
Ok, here's my list. Not much modular synth on any of them(some semi-modular for sure though razz ), and no albums that came out past 2004, but what can I say? I was an impressionable youth back then oops

10. Of Montreal - Satanic Panic in the Attic (Polyvinyl, 2004)
9. Sufjan Stevens - Greetings from Michigain (Asthmatic Kitty, 2003)
8. Hood - Cold House (Aesthetics, 2001)
7. Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica (Epic, 2000)
6. Radiohead - Kid A (Parlophone/Capitol 2000)
5. Unwound - Leaves Turn inside of You (Kill Rock Stars, 2001)
4. The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium (GSL/Universal, 2003)
3. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights (Matador, 2002)
2. Joy Electric - The White Songbook (BEC Recordings, 2001)
1. Elliott Smith - Figure 8 (Dreamworks, 2000)
johnnymad
doesn't the decade technically end in 2010 and begin in 2011? i've never started counting with zero. seriously, i just don't get it
TrashWaveform
johnnymad wrote:
doesn't the decade technically end in 2010 and begin in 2011? i've never started counting with zero. seriously, i just don't get it
Decades to me always been the 10 years starting with 0 and ending with 9. Such as the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I also have a programming and database development background so I am used to starting with 0.
bwhittington
neandrewthal wrote:

So, go back through all those discs you loved in 2001 but haven't listened to since and start getting your list ready hmmm.....

What are these "discs" you speak of? hihi
ndkent
As I understand it the zero thing is concerned with centuries because there was no year 0 and you can't have a century of only 99 years (year 1 to year 99 either direction).

No one serious applies that logic to decades or they'd also be saying things like "Best albums of the 201st Decade". Though I guess if they did then it would be fair to count that way.
neandrewthal
bwhittington wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:

What are these "discs" you speak of? hihi

and so the noise guys don`t feel left out, might as well include these too:

goiks
Some of my favorites of the last ten years, some I haven't listened to for quite a while, but somehow they stand out.

Rhythm and Sound - The Versions
Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline
Portishead - Third
Jan Jelinek - Loop-Finding Jazz Records
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Prefuse 73 - Vocal Studies and Uprock Narratives
Ricardo Villalobos - Alcachofa
Beck - Sea Change
Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

and one more...
ezekiel
Like Neandrewthal, I include Joy Electric in my top 10 discs. And, also on plastiqmusiq label, a couple Travelogue albums. Then, throw in the rest of the electroclash movement. That's 10.

All the rest of the best are on Clinical Archives (or similar netlabels) on archive.org, so we'll have to stop calling them "discs".
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
the only one that comes to my fuzzy brain at the moment is Becks Guero

best album ever.
bwhittington
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
the only one that comes to my fuzzy brain at the moment is Becks Guero

best album ever.

eek!

Not a chance. Best Album Ever:

hihi
johnnymad
TrashWaveform wrote:
johnnymad wrote:
Decades to me always been the 10 years starting with 0 and ending with 9. Such as the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I also have a programming and database development background so I am used to starting with 0.

fair enough. i guess it goes back to when i graduated high school in 2001. i wanted to be the first class of the century to graduate. cry
11ish
randomly picked, no particular order:

Breakage - This Too Shall Pass
Toshiaki Ishizuka - Drum Drama
Seba & Paradox - Beats Me
Z'EV - Rhythmajik
Nurse With Wound - She And Me Fall Together In Free Death
Nucleus & Paradox - Esoteric Funk
Klute - Lie Cheat & Steal / You Should Be Ashamed
Thomas Lehn / Paul Lovens - Achtung
Paradox - The Musician As Outsider
Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark²
Current Ninety Three - Faust

w00t
Reality Checkpoint
In no particular order (other than alphabetical!):

Cebec - Trunks
Envenomist - Abyssal Siege
Hive Mind & Luasa Raelon - Night Maintenance
Janek Schaefer - Migration
Joe Gilmore - On Quasi Convergence & Quiet Spaces
Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion
Matt Shoemaker - Spots In The Sun
Pulse Emitter - Lung
Pulse Emitter - Nakamichi
Pulse Emitter - Ramped 1
plord
My brain claims these at the most-listened, and according to iTunes (if you leave out various periods of overdosing on Grateful Dead, Phish, and Steve Kimock live shows), my brain is right. The top 5 have definitely moved onto the desert island list.

10. Evan Marc and Steve Hillage - Dreamtime Submersible (Somnia 2008) - meditative as fuck.
9. Gorillaz - Gorillaz (Virgin 2001) - Overhyped to death but lived up to it.
8. Younger Brother - The Last Days of Gravity (Twisted 2007) - The Posford aesthetic applied to some long format pop.
7. Shpongle - Nothing Lasts, but Nothing is Lost (Twisted 2005) - Polymorphic multidrugism in liquid audio format.
6. The Orb - The Dream (Liquid Sound Design 2007) - On par with their earliest and best work but marred by the occasional diva and/or cheeseball.
5. Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine (Sony 2005) although what I listen to are the Jon Brion mixes leaked a few years earlier. One of the top breakup albums ever, right behind _Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space_. The Brion mixes are more raw, more emotional, and superior in most every way.
4. Makyo - Swara Mandala (Dakini 2005) - Whenever a friend of mine plays this album in a public place, he is surrounded by half naked women by the third track. A real panty-dropper. Middle Eastern and Indian influenced groove dub. Stunning.
3. Bluetech - Prima Materia (Waveform 2003) - the freshest Dub/IDM of the decade. His other releases are in the same vein but this was the eye opener.
2. ISHQ - Orchid (Dakini 2001) - Most Plush Pads lifetime achievement award.
1. Ott/Simon Posford - Hallucinogen In Dub (Twisted 2002) - Taking great tracks and making them even better.
neandrewthal
ezekiel wrote:
All the rest of the best are on Clinical Archives (or similar netlabels) on archive.org, so we'll have to stop calling them "discs".

You can call it whatever you want I guess I`m old fashioned when it comes to musical formats. I`ve never bought an MP3 yet and as I type this I`m listening to some uncestep chiptunes on a factory made cd help
MindMachine
I am unqualififed to make a precise finding... so off the top of the noggin:

Melvins w/ Jello Biafra
Melvins w/ Lustmord
Melvins - Senile Animal
Robert Rich - Bestiary woah
Jucifer - Warbird
Strawberry - Strawberry

I need to research more...
valis
Although it was almost universally hated (which usually seems to be a good sign) I think the best album of 2000-2010 was the Fiery Furnaces' Rehearsing My Choir. Brilliant stuff, imho.

As far as top ten, I'd have to think about that for a while..
MindMachine
Damn Valis... thanks for the intro to Fiery Furnaces. I listened to Quay Cur and wow.

Hey I dig your PAiA Gnome avatar. As a youngster in the 70's after being so consumed with all forms of electronic sound, I saved for many months and purchased a Gnome. Despite the Gnome I am still into experimental and electronic music. It was a time wasting/ humiliating/ rip-off pile of ill-conceived good intentions. Did you have a better experience? I used to drool over all of the ads and catalogs while I listened to Synergy and Throbbing Gristle. many people cherish them... I hate them... still. Just curious to know.
valis
MindMachine wrote:
Damn Valis... thanks for the intro to Fiery Furnaces. I listened to Quay Cur and wow.

Awesome! I think they were one of the better rock bands to appear last decade. EP was a great album and I liker Bitter Tea as well. I got their most recent album out of the library and I wasn't super into it (as is the case with a bit of Fiery's material) but it may grow on me.

I love Rehearsing My Choir. A lot of the album is the Friederberger's grandmother telling family stories. It's a really interesting narrative and there's some really great synth work, imho.

Mates of State is another pop band that comes to mind that put out some great albums. Bring it Back and Team Boo were both really good albums. They were a bit of a weird band for me to like. I'm usually into harder-edged material but I have a soft spot for them..

MindMachine wrote:

Hey I dig your PAiA Gnome avatar. As a youngster in the 70's after being so consumed with all forms of electronic sound, I saved for many months and purchased a Gnome. Despite the Gnome I am still into experimental and electronic music. It was a time wasting/ humiliating/ rip-off pile of ill-conceived good intentions. Did you have a better experience? I used to drool over all of the ads and catalogs while I listened to Synergy and Throbbing Gristle. many people cherish them... I hate them... still. Just curious to know.

Lol. Good eye/memory concerning my avatar! That's a hilarious Gnome tale and is pretty typical in some ways. I have an absolute love/hate thing with PAiA. In some ways, I'm their biggest fan. I've rebuilt a nice 2700/4700 modular system and love it (it's right at my level of electronics understanding so it's super fun for me to work/play with). In other ways I absolutely loath some of their stuff and designs. I've never played with the Gnome but having played with quite a bit of other PAiA stuff from that era, and reading the descriptions, I have a pretty good idea of what it must of sounded like. Lol. Your experience is hilariously tragic..

I came around after the Gnome (as more of a child of the '80s) but I had a similar experience of lusting at stuff in their catalogs and listening to experimental electronic music. Ah, the good old days. Not like this newfangled 21-st century..
JohnLRice
MindMachine wrote:

Hey I dig your PAiA Gnome avatar.

+1 thumbs up I never did get a Gnome but I sure stared at that catalog a lot! (and yes, while listening to Synergy, Jan Hammer's The First Seven Days and . . lots of ELP!) I did get a nice 4700 modular after a while and later a Stringz 'n Thingz.
valis
JohnLRice wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Hey I dig your PAiA Gnome avatar.

+1 thumbs up I never did get a Gnome but I sure stared at that catalog a lot! (and yes, while listening to Synergy, Jan Hammer's The First Seven Days and . . lots of ELP!) I did get a nice 4700 modular after a while and later a Stringz 'n Thingz.

Thanks! I was hoping to spice my avatar up for the New Year..

Ooh a Stringz 'n Thingz. That's something that I've always wanted. Perhaps we should start an PAiA thread!
rezzn8r
I can't seem to put these in any kind of order, and I'm sure there is shit I've totally forgotten, but here's 10 of the best from the last decade (IMHO);

Holy Fuck - Holy Fuck - 2005
Abattoir Blues - Nick Cave and the Bad Seds - 2005
Orphans - Tom Waits - 2006
Chosen Lords - Aphex Twin - 2006
Geogaddi - Boards of Canada - 2002
The Mixup - The Beastie Boys - 2007
Selvaggina, Go Back into the Woods - Coil - 2004
Yanqui U.X.O - Godspeed You Black Emperor- 2002
Quebec - Ween - 2003
End of the World Party - Medeski, Martin, Wood - 2005

Guinness ftw! w00t Guinness ftw!
plord
rezzn8r wrote:

Orphans - Tom Waits - 2006

Ooooh, yes, definitely should have made room for this on my over-electronic list. Fantastic collection.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2