Wiard 300 Series - Mixolator & Envelator question

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, carygrace, grantrichter

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Wiard 300 Series - Mixolator & Envelator question

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am

hi, I'm thinking about expanding my 7 module Wiard 300 system.

I'm wondering if there is much wisdom in adding a second mixolator. I use my current one for ring mod, cross fading and standard mixing/VCA.

I'm thinking it is expensive (more in Wiard rack space sense) to add a second mixolator when I have Blacet linear, Blacet quad mixer/VCA, 2 x Banaglogue 3P mixers) that will be sitting a foot away.

What do other Wiard 300 owners think?

A supplimentary that I have posted on the Wiard group but I think everyone is away is the "getting an ADSR" out of the envelator question. I think I'm not reading the Modular notation correctly, what are all the connections? I have gate to Gate1 and Gate2..out via MixMod..what are the other connections?

Thanks!

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 pm

This is totally dependent on how you use your system.

If you are doing totally bonkers stereorama stuff or whatever great.

With any system I see what I am leaning towards when I play. Some people program from the OSC on some from the ENV, some are all about getting nasty with the filters.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Actually, no, I'm not using it for stereo. I suspect as I tend to process everything largely through stereo reverb it's not something that is particularly important to me.

As to what I use it for, it varies. Right now I'm sequencing a lin FM patch..tomorrow it maybe the sound of a decaying city...the day after, who knows.

Generally I am doing berlin school electronica, ambient, new age, experimental.

Norman_Phay

Re: Wiard 300 Series - Mixolator & Envelator question

Post by Norman_Phay » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:55 pm

chamomileshark wrote: A supplimentary that I have posted on the Wiard group but I think everyone is away is the "getting an ADSR" out of the envelator question. I think I'm not reading the Modular notation correctly, what are all the connections? I have gate to Gate1 and Gate2..out via MixMod..what are the other connections?

Thanks!
I don't think there are any other connections? You set one envelator to AD mode, and one to AR mode. Both attacks control the attack rate/shape, the D on the AD is decay,. the R on the AR envelope is release, and the sustain level is controlled by the level of the AR envelope at the mix out - the lower the level, the lower the sustain level.

I have not, personally, thought of getting a second mixolator - I have the blacet quad VCA, and there is the VCA in the Wave City and Classic VCO models. The mixolator, I must confess, is one module I feel like I could get more out of, with more experimentation.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:59 pm

I feel like I am hopelessly underutilizing my Mixolators, but I did jump at the change to grab a second one on the used market. I've got one pegged to output duty (two stereo channels with VC pan) and one for general VCA use at the moment.

But if I had just the 7 and wanted to expand, I'd probably go for another Sequantizer or Envelator, or a WFC that I would dedicate to low freq CV type stuff.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:31 am

hi, thanks guys, I appreciate this.

Currently I have a classic VCO, sequantizer, envelator, waveform city, borg filter, mixolator racked with a wogglebug seperate.

I'm aiming to fill a second rack, obviously one space is already reserved.

I'm certain I want another sequantizer, Waveform city, envelator and lo/hi pass boogie.

That leaves me one spare space. I get the feeling that a second mixolator is possibly not for me and that space could be used either for

1. an Omni filter (but then maybe I more of less already have that except the allpass aspect with the boogie and borg filters plus a blacet sequential swith & scanner to flip between modes). Experiences from those with the Omni?

2. a classic VCO. I love the PWM on the classic, it sounds much better than that on the Blacet VCOs and 2 x PWM pulse waves used to be one of my favourite sounds back in the day with my old monosynth.

Of course the caveat is that I need to talk to Grant about this.

Return to “Wiard”