MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiard 300 Series - Mixolator & Envelator question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Wiard 300 Series - Mixolator & Envelator question
chamomileshark
hi, I'm thinking about expanding my 7 module Wiard 300 system.

I'm wondering if there is much wisdom in adding a second mixolator. I use my current one for ring mod, cross fading and standard mixing/VCA.

I'm thinking it is expensive (more in Wiard rack space sense) to add a second mixolator when I have Blacet linear, Blacet quad mixer/VCA, 2 x Banaglogue 3P mixers) that will be sitting a foot away.

What do other Wiard 300 owners think?

A supplimentary that I have posted on the Wiard group but I think everyone is away is the "getting an ADSR" out of the envelator question. I think I'm not reading the Modular notation correctly, what are all the connections? I have gate to Gate1 and Gate2..out via MixMod..what are the other connections?

Thanks!
revmutt
This is totally dependent on how you use your system.

If you are doing totally bonkers stereorama stuff or whatever great.

With any system I see what I am leaning towards when I play. Some people program from the OSC on some from the ENV, some are all about getting nasty with the filters.
chamomileshark
Actually, no, I'm not using it for stereo. I suspect as I tend to process everything largely through stereo reverb it's not something that is particularly important to me.

As to what I use it for, it varies. Right now I'm sequencing a lin FM patch..tomorrow it maybe the sound of a decaying city...the day after, who knows.

Generally I am doing berlin school electronica, ambient, new age, experimental.
Norman_Phay
chamomileshark wrote:

A supplimentary that I have posted on the Wiard group but I think everyone is away is the "getting an ADSR" out of the envelator question. I think I'm not reading the Modular notation correctly, what are all the connections? I have gate to Gate1 and Gate2..out via MixMod..what are the other connections?

Thanks!

I don't think there are any other connections? You set one envelator to AD mode, and one to AR mode. Both attacks control the attack rate/shape, the D on the AD is decay,. the R on the AR envelope is release, and the sustain level is controlled by the level of the AR envelope at the mix out - the lower the level, the lower the sustain level.

I have not, personally, thought of getting a second mixolator - I have the blacet quad VCA, and there is the VCA in the Wave City and Classic VCO models. The mixolator, I must confess, is one module I feel like I could get more out of, with more experimentation.
plord
I feel like I am hopelessly underutilizing my Mixolators, but I did jump at the change to grab a second one on the used market. I've got one pegged to output duty (two stereo channels with VC pan) and one for general VCA use at the moment.

But if I had just the 7 and wanted to expand, I'd probably go for another Sequantizer or Envelator, or a WFC that I would dedicate to low freq CV type stuff.
chamomileshark
hi, thanks guys, I appreciate this.

Currently I have a classic VCO, sequantizer, envelator, waveform city, borg filter, mixolator racked with a wogglebug seperate.

I'm aiming to fill a second rack, obviously one space is already reserved.

I'm certain I want another sequantizer, Waveform city, envelator and lo/hi pass boogie.

That leaves me one spare space. I get the feeling that a second mixolator is possibly not for me and that space could be used either for

1. an Omni filter (but then maybe I more of less already have that except the allpass aspect with the boogie and borg filters plus a blacet sequential swith & scanner to flip between modes). Experiences from those with the Omni?

2. a classic VCO. I love the PWM on the classic, it sounds much better than that on the Blacet VCOs and 2 x PWM pulse waves used to be one of my favourite sounds back in the day with my old monosynth.

Of course the caveat is that I need to talk to Grant about this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1