MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

222e rings
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 222e rings
richard
anyone got these? i would love to hear how effective they are? I'm thinking of substituting them for my Lightning rods for a special project.

I would love to see a close-up photograph or any video of them in action

in fact any information at all would be good!

Richard
amnesia
there is a real short vid of Ezra playing them at namm
ex_dead_teenager
I've asked a simmilar question here before I recall hearing from one person who said he prefferred the Lightning to the rings I've also watched all four vids I could find on this: The Ezra clip, another two clips from NAMM 08 and a fourth which I think was from an AH gathering in SF and I wasn't impressed, it seems like it would be very difficult to learn how to use them in a really useful fasion I'm a little dissappointed in this because I love the look of the 222e but I'm afraid that if I ever included one in my system I'd never or rarely ever use the rings and the thought of not using part of my Buchla ever makes me depressed.
amnesia
i am also wanting the 222e but think the rings would be great fun because i am into avant electronics/ noise so i dont need to worry about notes, BUT I am worried the 222e touch pad will make me want to play music, which I dont want.
ex_dead_teenager
oh don't get me wrong I love noise! I busk with a Little Boy Blue!! I just find it frustrating to conquor new methods of playing sometimes. I love noise but I also like being able to play musically if the need arises and having just learned the Ribbon controller and now playing with Theramin I'm discovering the limits of my abillities in a way that annoys me. I can get great FM and Filter cutoff effects with the Theramin and a PLL and with a quantizer it's easier to play semi unpredictable almost middle eastern sounding music I know it's going to be a few years of steady and persistent experimentation before I could ever think of using it as more than that and I worry that, for me at least, having those rings would just be another theramin, maybe I'll change my mind once I've got the theramin under wrapps but then again I'm not planning on a 222e in the immediate future.

It could be a really useful tool for sure you could get all kinds of really extreme sounds using it to controll all sorts of things in a 200e...

on second thought maybe I would use it...
amnesia
i have just asked folks on the 200e forum if someone could give us another vid demo,,,,fingers crossed
ex_dead_teenager
screaming goo yo lengthly vids please!!! screaming goo yo
richard
If you are afraid of the rings on the 222e you can always ask Don if you could swap them for Lightning Rods instead - according to Don the two are interchangeable, the difference being that the Rods the have a wider reach and are much better percussion (velocity) controllers.

R
rlainhart
It's all in how you program the sounds, of course, so I think it would be easy to play the 222e in a non-tonal way. I, for one, would find it difficult to play tonal material with the 222e, because the "key" layout isn't really related to the piano keyboard layout. But since each key is individually programmable, each can make any sound you design for it, and that certainly doesn't have to be tonal.

In fact, I would think that a system with the 222e and a decent complement of oscillators and processors would make a very elegant, portable noise instrument.

amnesia wrote:
i am also wanting the 222e but think the rings would be great fun because i am into avant electronics/ noise so i dont need to worry about notes, BUT I am worried the 222e touch pad will make me want to play music, which I dont want.
parasitk
You know, I would never have thought to use the rings to "play" tonal bits. The touch pad? Sure. But not the rings. I figured most people would just use them for modulation... hmmm.....
richard
if its anything like the Lightning you can use thre rings to trigger gates and envelopes too - gets very interesting....

Richard
divisionbyzero
richard wrote:
anyone got these? i would love to hear how effective they are? I'm thinking of substituting them for my Lightning rods for a special project.

the first generation rings don't have nearly as good range as the lightning wands. i find myself using the rings only when i'm also using my hands to patch since the wands make it hard to do much else. but if i want to stand back and wave my arms around, definitely the wands.
richard
[/quote] the first generation rings don't have nearly as good range as the lightning wands./quote]

there are different versions/generations of the wands???? the plot thickens. Please tell more

R
citizen mori
it is of course possible to quantize the ring outputs via the 250e...
divisionbyzero
richard wrote:
divisionbyzero wrote:
the first generation rings don't have nearly as good range as the lightning wands.

there are different versions/generations of the wands???? the plot thickens. Please tell more

R

there were at least two different versions of the lightning wands that i've owned (one had a built-in rechargeable battery, the second was built into a flashlight base).

i didn't mean to imply that there are different versions of the current rings; by "first generation" i meant "first batch of shipping 222e's". i know the current keyboard is slightly different than the one i have but i don't know if the rings have changed or not (don would be the one to ask).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1