MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY Graphic Depot
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author DIY Graphic Depot
parasitk
This thread is for sharing your DIY graphic elements.

I got asked about the Serge Swoosh, so here are my hacked together versions (zip file with an svg and dwg).
bananeurysm
nice!

does anyone care to share a full module or panel of serge-ish gfx in SVG or similar format to help kickstart my design process? so far i'm creating some pretty ugly panels! (haven't figured out how to make nice curved lines, or knob/jack gfx yet in inkscape)
parasitk
I know nothing about inkscape, but I suppose I could export some curvy lines. I'm not sure how they'll translate, because I draw them fresh for every new module I design, based on width...
bananeurysm
yeah maybe it's easier if i just figure out how to draw them in inkscape smile

have any nice knobs though?
jooks
What a great thread! Trying to learn illustrator and those Serge swooshes will help me alot. My goal is to be able to make my own Sergalike panels so any Sergestyle graphic elements are very welcome! Thanks for sharing SlayerBadger!
parasitk
No problem! I hope more people share their graphic elements, regardless of format (both module or graphic program!).

I'll export my Davies knobs today and put 'em up here.
parasitk
Davies 1900H in svg and dwg. If you're using it against anything other than white, I suggest changing your blending mode to Multiply (although that will mask the indicator line too – my panels are against white, so I did it the lazy way).

I can also post EPS if people would like.
astroschnautzer
here are some banana jacks I made, I`m pretty new to illustrator so feel free to edit them or whatever to make them better (they are not 1/1 propotion)
wetterberg
how about sharing some of the mechanical elements? Like, hole arrangements and whatnot?
xpander
anyone have the font used on Buchla stuff? looks pretty standard.
Junk Rhythm
xpander wrote:

Maybe Verdana.
jarvis
i was just playing around w/ illustrator last night and made a serge polarized swoosh. i'm not sure if it's exaclty 1:1 - i was using a low resolution image of a front panel as a template. here's a pdf regardless - you can always scale it.

edit: d'oh! this is already posted above. meh.
DGTom
wetterberg wrote:
how about sharing some of the mechanical elements? Like, hole arrangements and whatnot?

This would be cool as well, lots of trial & error here & I'm still not 100% happy.. trying to work out distances from photos doesn't really work either, but is at least somewhere to start.
zthee
xpander wrote:

I'm on the hunt for this as well.

It's not standard at all. At first I thought it was - Haha! I was gonna google for Akzidenz Grotesk, which I thought it was. But I found it instead. It's called Folio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folio_(typeface). If you look at the Q's they match perfectly! I guess Buchla uses a condensed version, perhaps both bold and condensed. Need to install the font and check it out.

Though the top and bottom text of the panel is written in Futura Book (It looks like it might be a demi-bold and extended version of Futura. Haven't found a perfect match yet..).
zthee
The Serge font is called ITC Eras, and they use a demi bold (IIRC) for letters written in the knob/jack area, and bold for the module description text.
pickleinn
here are the .dwg files for the m-odule style panels I have been working on (not quite finished - some mistakes).

www.pickleinn.com/files/dwg.zip

here are the same panels in pdf and gif format:

http://www.pickleinn.com/page_synth_panels.html

Ryan
sanders
zthee wrote:

I'm on the hunt for this as well.

It's not standard at all. At first I thought it was - Haha! I was gonna google for Akzidenz Grotesk, which I thought it was. But I found it instead. It's called Folio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folio_(typeface). If you look at the Q's they match perfectly! I guess Buchla uses a condensed version, perhaps both bold and condensed. Need to install the font and check it out.

The lower-case 'g's are also unusual on the Buchla font, and not the same as the Folio examples.

Except for the upper-case 'Q's and lower-case 'g's, I find that bold, italizied Helvetica is pretty close to the Buchla font (for both main panel and upper/lower texts).
zthee
It could be that he's got a special version of Folio. I'm gonna hunt it down. Seems to be a problem getting a demi bold italic version of Folio as well. Only found one bold version, and it's to fat.

Helvetica is to wide for getting a perfect look, I think. Atleast if you want that vintage look. The 200e seems to be using helvetica though.
sanders
zthee wrote:
It could be that he's got a special version of Folio. I'm gonna hunt it down. Seems to be a problem getting a demi bold italic version of Folio as well. Only found one bold version, and it's to fat.

I don't know anything about Folio specifically, but one has to wonder-- of all the zillions of fonts available now on-line-- which ones were even around/available back then?

Probably one could just call Don up and ask what font he used back then.
cbm
I think that the 200e uses Helvetica Bold for the module name on top and the company name on the bottom, with the rest being Arial Bold Italic in a couple of sizes.
zthee
Yes, I think your right. It's Arial on the panel.

Need to hunt down the correct Folio version now. It must be out there somewhere.
cbm
I don't have any to look at, but I would guess that it was all Helvetica for the old 200 modules, just based on availability in that time period.
zthee
It's not Helvetica, since the Q's and lowercase g's are wrong, the numbers also don't match Helvetica.

The font folio was released in 1957, just like Helvetica was, and Univers as well. So there was a bunch of san-serifs available at the time.

I imagine he did the layouts by hand in that time. Which mean he probably sat with a ruler and rub-on letters (I don't know what you call it in english, where you have a translucent paper with letters on, and if you rub the backside, the letters come of).

And there were a lot of companies releasing rub-off letters at that time. And I guess to avoid copyright issues and such they might have altered a few letters. So they take the g from Gill Sans and add it to the Folio library, and it's a whole new font! They got the problem solved. But for us who'd like to have it now, we have a problem. d'oh!
cbm
zthee wrote:
I imagine he did the layouts by hand in that time. Which mean he probably sat with a ruler and rub-on letters (I don't know what you call it in english, where you have a translucent paper with letters on, and if you rub the backside, the letters come of).

I've always used one manufacturer as the generic name for this sort of thing: Letraset
zthee
Aha! Thanks. Letraset dry transfer sheets. Now I know! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3