MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pedal Prototype Tease
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Pedal Prototype Tease
felix
3 prototype pedals that I'm working on.

I think I'll have the one on the left wrapped up this weekend (the circuit anyway). It's basically a bass/tone suck + clean boost...gonna call it the "succuboost". I made it specifically to use with high gain fuzz/distortion circuits where my guitar gets too woofy sounding. It also seems to function very nicely as a plain old clean boost. I'm gonna experiment with some diode clipping and see if I can't get a little warmer sound out of the boost.

The middle one is a simple dual true bypass looper with feedback in each loop. There will also be a switch for loop 1's feedback source to either be from the return of loop1 or the actual output of the whole pedal (so if loop2 is switched on, it will also feedback to loop1). This one's called "Infinite Looper". Simple. Effective.

The third one is tentatively called "Cerberus". Still brainstorming, so I'll leave it as a surprise until I get further along.

Making shit is fun!
zerosum
Hey thats cool Felix!

Quote:
The third one is tentatively called "Cerberus". Still brainstorming, so I'll leave it as a surprise until I get further along.

grin
J.w.M.
That infinite looper looks drool-worthy. Can't wait for samples/pictures of pedal artwork. Are you using clone circuits or are these Felix originals? Thanks for the pix!
felix
I just upgrade to OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and my ancient Photoshop 7 won't launch anymore...so until I get the upgrade I'll have to wait to show you the graphics (they are pretty much finished though).

The Infinite Looper is basically a combination of two examples from the Beavis Audio loopers page:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/index.htm

The Succuboost and Cerberus are original in so far as I'm borrowing ideas from various schematics and examples on the web and frankenstein-ing them together. They aren't clones of anything, but I wouldn't say I designed them "from scratch" either.

Speaking of the Succuboost, I started on what I thought would be the final run through of the prototype on Saturday evening, but it wasn't working right. So I pulled it all apart and started on a different design using a transistor rather than a linear amp IC (TL071). It's much easier with the transistor; simpler and fewer parts. I finished prototyping that in only a few hours!

Also, while figuring out how to use the transistor, I figured out a couple rad distortion/fuzz sounds while trying to find the right resistor values...I made some notes for the future wink
Kwote
that's pretty cool. i'm not into pedals too much but still wanna say congrats. you seem like you could become part of the boutique fold.

good job bro.
J.w.M.
Awesome. So you'll be printing the art out in decal form and applying it in Devi Ever fashion? If so, that'll be cool. I've seen some really good hand-painted pedals, too, so either way should be really good.

I'm really liking the look of those knobs. Both retro (in shape) and up-to-date (in color). Cool stuff.

By the way, would it require more advanced IC's and whatnot in order to convert the looper into a delay? That would be a fun modification... Maybe increase the resistance via a counter or something...
zerosum
You need some skull and crossbones knobs 8)
felix
J.w.M. wrote:
Awesome. So you'll be printing the art out in decal form and applying it in Devi Ever fashion? If so, that'll be cool. I've seen some really good hand-painted pedals, too, so either way should be really good.

Yeah, doing the exact same thing...inkjet onto sticker paper and clear coated. grin I like mocking stuff up in photoshop, and trying to paint that, even if I got my wife to do it, would be too hard.

J.w.M. wrote:
I'm really liking the look of those knobs. Both retro (in shape) and up-to-date (in color). Cool stuff.

Yeah... normally I don't like the "boutique" look, but the Manglers I got had these knobs in black and they are very nice to tweak compared to round knobs. That, and the graphics I've come up with all have a black background and white text, so the white knobs will work really well with that I think.

J.w.M. wrote:
By the way, would it require more advanced IC's and whatnot in order to convert the looper into a delay? That would be a fun modification... Maybe increase the resistance via a counter or something...
Yeah, there's a pretty standard digital delay IC (I forget the number) that apparently can be implemented relatively easily. I'd like to make a delay (maybe the BYOC one), but I'm really picky with my delay sound and usually displeased with digital delays...so I don't know. It's a good idea though... :idea:

zerosum wrote:
You need some skull and crossbones knobs 8)

Haha I know! I actually grabbed some literature from one of the big "knob warehouse" booths at NAMM...I'm going to order a few and see.
felix
Well...fuck you Boss!

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=959&ParentId=9 6

Just announced at MusikMesse, this is essentially what I was designing for the Cerberus! ...although this is much fancier, and digital.

The Cerberus is going to be 3 parallel square wave tremolos, each with their own volume/mix control. The idea is you can get some crazy polyrhythmic chops to your signal. I was weighing back and forth between having each tremolo have it's own independent rate, or having a single rate with switchable beat divisions for the 2nd and 3rd trems.

Oh well...I'm still gonna make it...it just feels so much less original now. cry
shamann
Nevermind Boss, EH beat you to it by 40 years:

http://filters.muziq.be/model/eh/pulsemodulator
http://web.archive.org/web/20040225101021/http://electroharmonix.ronso und.com/articles/pulse.html

I think the new Boss pedal looks remarkably unimpressive, I'd take a Pulse Modulator (or something like it) over it any day.
felix
Oh! Well...fuck EH too! grin

I'm honestly not mad at all, and you're right, the Boss one is uninspiring...especially after watching the video demo.

Actually, thanks for the tip-off on the Pulse Modulator. I want to try and dig up a schem and see how they are doing it. I was going to do it with homemade vactrols, but that wouldn't really allow for adjusting the attack, which would be a nice feature.

I think I'm pretty set now on having the 2nd and 3rd trems/pulses be beat divisions of the main rate. I'd have a few switchable options, though. I was going to use this 12-stage CMOS divider, so there would be plenty of choices for divisions.

What do you guys think?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1