MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[new module] hexinverter.net vcNOIZ -- chewy noise VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author [new module] hexinverter.net vcNOIZ -- chewy noise VCO
hexinverter
hexinverter.net vcNOIZ -- a voltage-controlled noise oscillator for analogue modular synthesis

More video:

Hey dudes/dudettes!

First and foremost -- my apologies for the redundancy. This is a DIY project as well as a eurorack module so I felt the need to start a new thread here in euro-land for all you lovely non-DIY folks to eat up smile

Anyway, I have come out with a new module that is going full-scale SMT assembly for the Euro World and will be for sale direct from me as well as distributors just in time for after the new year!

Here is the feature-set:

Inputs:
- Expo. response CV input (-V to +V)
- Linear response CV input (-V to +V) -- great for audio rate FM, as the audio demo shows. It sounds positively gruesome!
- Clock input (square wave, positive logic)

Controls:
- Pitch control (to tune base frequency, just like a VCO)

Outputs:
- Base frequency noise output (a little smoother sounding than the divisions) [audio coupled]
- Sub octave /4 output (gritty sounding) [audio coupled]
- Sub octave /8 output (gritty sounding) [audio coupled]
- Base frequency DC coupled gate output (for when wanting a random gate when using a slower clock/pitch rate)
- Internal clock output (there was an extra opamp, so I figured this could be useful)

Technical Specifications:

Width: 6HP
Current consumption: +35/-30mA @ 12V

[s]http://soundcloud.com/hex-inverter/sets/vcnoiz-demos[/s]
hexinverter
Here is a demo I recorded today of vcNOIZ being used to make hihats.

If you run it through a highpass filter it may work even better...but this is straight from the module.

You can pretty clearly hear a bit of modulation I put into the module smile

[s]http://soundcloud.com/hex-inverter/hexinverter-net-vcnoiz-makes[/s]
hexinverter
VERY early in-progress development video:

Kent
You can group the audio files into what SoundCloud calls a "set" and then post the whole set.

See?

[s]http://soundcloud.com/gen-xtargetmarket/sets/buchla-18-panel-perfor mance[/s]

I'll delete this post once you get it sorted out. No need to crowd the space!

lol
hexinverter
Kent wrote:
You can group the audio files into what SoundCloud calls a "set" and then post the whole set.

See?

[s]http://soundcloud.com/gen-xtargetmarket/sets/buchla-18-panel-perfor mance[/s]

I'll delete this post once you get it sorted out. No need to crowd the space!

lol

Oh hey! That's great! Thanks Kent applause

Stupid me for not figuring that one out waah

EDIT: mind deleting my redundant soundcloud post above then? smile
hexinverter
Here's the SMT circuit board rendering. Should be ready for the fab house now!

hexinverter
Final assembly quotations submitted! (had to make some PCB changes) grin
Low-Gain
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
elektrokick
Great! I currently lack a noise source and this seems perfect. How difficult would you say the kit is to build for someone with limited DIY electronics experience? I have done some soldering but I'm still on the noob/learning stage.
hexinverter
elektrokick wrote:
Great! I currently lack a noise source and this seems perfect. How difficult would you say the kit is to build for someone with limited DIY electronics experience? I have done some soldering but I'm still on the noob/learning stage.

The SMT + through hole kit (Option #3 on the Indiegogo page) wouldn't be too hard! You have to clip and install two pots, 8 jacks and a few other components (a couple capacitors, two ICs, etc.). Then you have to pop the chips in and install it all into the panel. The surface mount components come already assembled.

This circuit requires no calibration, and thus requires no special measurement tools or anything.

The full DIY through hole version is a bit trickier though as you have to install every component and then wire the panel yourself.

I will be providing instructions in the style of my other noobie-intended project sympleSEQ's build documentation. Download it here for an idea of how the instructions will look like, and see if you think you can follow: http://hexinverter.net/public/sympleSEQ2_buildmanual.pdf
chrisso
Sounds very similar to the Synton Fenix Digital Noise source, which is excellent, and one of my most used parts of the synth.
thumbs up
BananaPlug
The sound reminds me of the Dark Star module.
Peake
Hexinverter rocks the spot!
chrisso
Would be ace in MM format (Buchla).
Just sayin..... whistlin'
reppiks
this looks really cool!
mantiwhore
Hex, this is awesome!
hexinverter
chrisso wrote:
Would be ace in MM format (Buchla).
Just sayin..... whistlin'

Thanks for the interest smile You can build your own in any format you desire with the universal PCB set if you are handy like that...the demand is not there for me to offer modules in anything but eurorack sadly I do not think!
hexinverter
Thank you for the support everyone applause

I am excited for this module as well. I think a couple of these in a system will make some real cool sounds and I am anxious to get some together and do some rad demo videos whenever the prototype panels arrive and I have a video camera (soon!)
hexinverter
New and improved vcNOIZ eurorack rendering (now with aesthetically correct knob models razz )

hexinverter
Beta panels arrived! Woot! Demo videos soon.

burnn_out!
Man I been needing a noise source and this looks like a winner. I was holding out for the zorlon revision but it looks like this might find its way in my case.
crippletoe
looks excellent!
SlayerBadger!
akrylik
Does it track 1V/oct? I couldn't find this in the description anywhere...yet the opening sequence of the demo track makes it seem it like it could do some cool bass lines.
hexinverter
akrylik wrote:
Does it track 1V/oct? I couldn't find this in the description anywhere...yet the opening sequence of the demo track makes it seem it like it could do some cool bass lines.

No, it is not scaled to any particular frequency base. This is fun!

Hehe...it is noise! nanners I honestly don't think that the ear can discern between "octaves" of noise due to the nature of what white noise is.

That being said, it has an exponential CV response that sounds linear to the ears. It tracks on an exponential scale, it is just not 1.0V/oct

The core of the oscillator is however VERY unstable. This just doesn't register to your ears at all because the core frequency is divided by 32 in the noise generator and turned into noise. The clock itself is very unstable though. In terms of quasi-randomness I consider this a feature, so I decided not to put the extra cost and effort into temperature-stabilising the oscillator core.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
The demos sound really good!

What kind of noise is it? (Nevermind -- I watched the video and all was revealed.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4