MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What happened to lil miss scale oven? Alternatives?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author What happened to lil miss scale oven? Alternatives?
jonah
I was going to buy Lil Miss Scale Oven because I want to create some tuning for my hardware like Yamaha SY77, VFX, etc.

When I went to the web page it was shut down with a cryptic message. I find it strange that an alternative tunings software would get abuse and harassment.... http://www.nonoctave.com

I was looking at the scala site, but it seems like a hassle to get working on OSX and I'm not even sure I can create files to load onto hardware.
CJ Miller
Dang... What manner of society have we become, that people want to threaten xenharmonic goat farmers? I mean, I hate it when people use "li'l", but their site and software were interesting enough that I was willing to overlook that. Scala is the next thing which comes to mind for me, also.
elemental
I really want to try this, but there's no guarantee it works on OSX 10.8 and upwards .. can anyone verify this?

If it works as well as it seems to I don't mind paying but at least a demo version would be good...
usw
All these programs are using pitch-bend message + note number and consume one midi channel per simultaneous/overlapping note that's it ?
elemental
I guess thats how LMSO works, I have used Mutabor but the interface is not very intuitive. I've managed to use it with success though.

Best interface for this kind of thing I found is in Absynth..
usw
what are your configuration and needs ?
GovernorSilver
usw wrote:
All these programs are using pitch-bend message + note number and consume one midi channel per simultaneous/overlapping note that's it ?

Some synths have built-in tuning table support. LMSO took advantage of that. http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/

The developer was also a big fan of MIDI Tuning Standard, which was implemented in a few synths. LMSO also used that.

I think LSMO also used MIDI SysEx. The developer went out of his way to avoid using MIDI pitch bend as much as possible - especially makes romplers sound bad.
elemental
My needs are currently to find ways of using Just Intonation and other tuning systems in my music.

I have begun using Absynth, and also Mutabor for external multi-timbral midi synths.

I have modular bases pretty much covered now with the Er-101 sequencer and coming quantizer, and Silent Way which can export adjusted tunings for different temperaments

Been trying to see how I can do this in Ableton Live but seems quite fiddly with AMS files ...
GovernorSilver
One alternative to LMSO is Max Magic Microtuner.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/16tone/info
usw
thank you, max magic should do the job for elemental's needs (undoubtfully better than what I could come up with).
Just intonation (and continuous control of timbre at the composition level) is what initially got me into analog modulars, but at that time only midi->cv converters were available, and midi clearly isn't up the task for anything but discrete events below haptic rate confused
midiguru
Scala and a VST softsynth are really the best option. (To be fair, I haven't used Max Magic Microtuner; I'm guessing about it.) However, Scala pretty much won't run on MacOS. There's a long and convoluted set of instructions on the Scala site (http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/) suggesting how it might be coerced into working, but I've never had the courage to try it. I use Scala exclusively in my Windows machine.

Scala does, however, come with a library of several thousand tunings, so you might be able to find what you need in that library, even if you're on a Mac. Just to add to the fun, though, that library is in .scl format files. Some synths want to load .tun files, which are a bit different. Scala itself will convert .scl to .tun. If you don't have access to Scala, though, are you up the creek? Not completely, because these are both text-type files. The difference is that .scl specifies only one octave and lets the synth decide how to lay it out on the keyboard. A .tun file gives the exact Hz for each MIDI note.

If you have a few examples of each type of file, you can work out how to create your own in a text editor.

Oh, and by the way ... the original query that started this thread was a couple of years ago, but according to the Scala site, their software can indeed save tuning files in formats compatible with the SY77 and many other hardware synths.
GovernorSilver
Max Magic Microtuner was easy to use when I last used it. That was several years and versions ago though.

I haven't tried using it though to design microtuned patches for hardware synths. The OP though said he's using a Yamaha SY77, which supports two global microtunings, so in theory he should be able to load a tuned patch into it and use it without a computer.
kindredlost
elemental wrote:
I really want to try this, but there's no guarantee it works on OSX 10.8 and upwards .. can anyone verify this?

If it works as well as it seems to I don't mind paying but at least a demo version would be good...

I'm running OS-X 10.9.1 and LMSO seems to work fine. I use Cubase 5 and a pair of MOTU 128 midi express to the synths.

LMSO is a bizarre interface but the scale library is worth the price alone. It's forte' is non-octave tunings (hence the website name). X.J. Scott is a very nice and helpful fellow but may be hard to reach anymore.

You can use LMSO as a stand alone synth as it has a built in way to use the classic midi sounds (piano, etc.) on your computer drive. Of course you can set up several midi destinations as well.

I have sent tunings to a Yamaha DX7II as well as to my synthesizers.com Q172Quantizer Aid module which will save it as a program. (Only eight key steps within 0-1 volt though so not so useful with larger than 1 volt spread scales).

I've also used Scala and Max Microtuner. MM is fairly useful with an OS-X system and although the only way I've ver communicated with Victor Cerullo is through the Yahoo groups (ugh), it is better than the busted site of non-octave.com.

Here is a playlist of some micro-tonal pieces using (mostly) LMSO and mainly the modular synth with a simple midi interface for each voice.

http://soundcloud.com/david-ryle/sets/micro-tonal

[s]http://soundcloud.com/david-ryle/sets/micro-tonal[/s]

Hmm... Somehow the play list does not load but it will stream each song one at a time. You can just use the hypertext link above the player to go directly to SC page and the play list.
TallKite
There's another alternative, see this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118552

The disappearance of LMSO was what actually inspired me to write and release this.
slow_riot
if you want Jeff Scott's email address PM me. I think if you are courteous and express a genuine need for his software and are happy to work around the fact it may not get updated as fast as Apple churn out new OSs (never had any problems with backwards compatability mode myself), he may be willing to put aside the negative situations he has experienced in the past. He was always massively helpful, courteous and professional in a very passionate way with me.
Loopy C
I spoke to the developer back in 01/2013 and he sent me LMSO 3.5.1 which he was supporting up to Mountain Lion.

I don't have the time this moment to double-check it working completely but that was last I checked with him.
Loopy C
slow_riot wrote:
..He was always massively helpful, courteous and professional in a very passionate way with me.

Yep, same here...great guy and talented musician ;-)
shiama
In 2010 I have bought LMSO and I have done few project with it.
Jeff was also really helpful and enthusiastic ...suddenly this shut down of the his site etc. was really disappointing. Now I am willing to change my laptop and of course I m pretty sure LMSO ll not run on the new OS.
I v written to Jeff but no answer from his side...can't understand why he shut down his activity so brutally . Does any one here know whcih software could replace the LMSO ? lately I was working a lot with Kontakt 3 and LMSO was pretty good in converting all kind of tuning in K3 script.
Any advice ? Any one knows id LMSO will start again in the future ?
All this story with LMSO sound a bit like science fiction...

Thanks in Advance
TallKite
Shiama - check out alt-tuner, see this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118552

The disappearance of LMSO in 2012 was what actually inspired me to write and release alt-tuner.

It can tune Kontakt directly via midi -- load one script into the instrument, and it becomes responsive to alt-tuner. This means that you can tune it on the fly as you are playing. No need for multiple instances.
ubiquiphilia
off-topic but do you have any sound clips of modular in just intonation elemental
ubiquiphilia
some haunting sounds there kindredlost
BipTunia
jonah wrote:
I was going to buy Lil Miss Scale Oven because I want to create some tuning for my hardware like Yamaha SY77, VFX, etc.

When I went to the web page it was shut down with a cryptic message. I find it strange that an alternative tunings software would get abuse and harassment.... http://www.nonoctave.com

I was looking at the scala site, but it seems like a hassle to get working on OSX and I'm not even sure I can create files to load onto hardware.

two alternatives, free microtonal VSTs I made:
https://biptunia.com/?page_id=2070
Muttnball
@slow_riot

I'll PM you asking for the email address of Jeff Scott; is it still possible to get the latest version of Little Miss Sunshine Oven (LMSO) by emailing the creator?
BipTunia
woimz!
Panason
Quote:
451 — Content Not Available in your Jurisdiction Region
PROBLEM:

This Content is Not Available in your Jurisdiction Region.

The document http://www.nonoctave.com/, requested by 2.24.139.222 using Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13, is not available.
TO FIX:

Please migrate to a Jurisdiction Region in which this Content is Permitted, and retry access. Upon successful Migration to and Residency within a Region that Permits Content, access to Content which exists might now be available. If, following Migration, Content is still not available, please Migrate to a different Region. Repeat step as needed.
PLEASE NOTE:

Some Jurisdictions assert Universal Jurisdictional Authority over Jurisdiction Citizens and Residents whenever Citizens access content, including in other Jurisdictions which permit access to Content. Therefore, it may be necessary to successfully renounce Citizenships related to non-permitting Jurisdictions, in addition to Migration and Residency to a Region that permits Content, before Content may be accessed. Consult with your Resettlement Agency if you need more assistance with this step.

WTFF, is this chinese hosting? Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1