MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Pag?!?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Pag?!?
Matos
New 4ms video module? Pingable animation generator? Hell's yes brother! Bring it on!
samn
huh what?
samn
oh wow i just looked....yesss
lizlarsen
yup. smile pretty exciting!!!

LZX have been slow to get into modulation/animation-specific module designs so this is going to fill a much needed niche! I've served as a consultant on the design and there are some great new features compared to the PEG specifically thought out with a video system in mind.
nickciontea

more blinky lights! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
barto
whaat. so basically a PEG on steroids? could i replace my current PEG with this one and still have all the functionality plus video rate?
lizlarsen
PAG is not video rate -- it's for LFO and audio rate modulation only, but is more stable for audio rate modulation than the PEG due to some internal connection to video sync signals.

It also has fully LZX standard 1V I/Os and input thresholds, more division/mult selections (I believe), a "hold" shaper, which gives you a clipping sort of feature, and amplitude/VCA modulation over the shape. There are a couple features dropped compared to the PEG, like quantization (everything's already quantized to video syncs) and an offset/attenuator knob for the output (this is because most LZX modules already include attenuators on their inputs instead.)

But yes, this is PEG getting an overhaul to customize it for video systems, essentially. I'm sure it'll be easy to sell or trade off your PEG if you want to swap it out with this when it comes out (that's probably what I'll do, or move the PEG to my audio system.)
barto
the pains of building a video AND audio system very frustrating
lizlarsen
Eh if you're doing both then keep the one you've got!

I'm excited about PAG because finally there will be a dedicated low frequency modulation module that's good for performance and sits in an LZX system super comfortably.
nickciontea
barto wrote:

i totally gave up on that.

but now I miss sequencing raunchy lines for no reason Dead Banana
MrDys
nickciontea wrote:
barto wrote:

i totally gave up on that.

but now I miss sequencing raunchy lines for no reason Dead Banana

That's what monotribes are for (or, at least, what I'm using mine for as I slowly sell off the rest of my audio modules to fund video ones).
lizlarsen
Amplitude Classifier (renamed Octal Video Quantizer/Sequencer) + VWGs + Multi Filter + feedback, you can still patch up squelchy audio bassline sequences in your video system...
4mspedals
Good to see this here... I'm pretty happy to enter the video modular world... yes I am indebted to you Lars!

Some of the features and the exact artwork is still being tweaked, but this is likely similar to what will be demo'ed at NAMM.

It has the 14-pin LZX sync header to make sure transitions don't happen in the middle of a frame (assuming the div/mult ping clock is slower than frame rate). Thus, timed events show up much cleaner than using a regular PEG for video.

All the levels use the LZX voltage standard (0.5V trigger threshold, 1V full-scale CV control and output swing). It runs at audio rates (won't sync to line-rate clock) but the VCA input goes well into the vertical bar territory.

The PAG will probably be as much fun with audio as the VWG or Keyer, so it won't replace your audio PEG. I've already moved my audio PEGs out of my video system.

I'm also taking care to make the PCB kit-friendly, like most of our modules.
Juxwl
4mspedals wrote:
I'm also taking care to make the PCB kit-friendly, like most of our modules.

thumbs up Will kits be released at the same time as the pre-built modules? I'd like to get this kit ASAP.
4mspedals
Like always, kits will lag about 6months or so. Always best to work the bugs out on our own first...
spaceship
Oh my. I already have two Pegs in my audio system. Definitely gotta grab this for my video rig. PEG <3 <3
smrl
YES!

This all looks great. What I don't understand, though, is the function of the VCA input - is it voltage-controlled amplitude of the envelope?

Great work, Dann. Excited to get my hands on these - I've actually moved my 2 PEGs out of my audio rig and in with my video gear because i find them really handy for that. But then I've been making more modular video than modular music the last few months. I'll try my best to wait for a kit to appear smile
4mspedals
Thanks Jason! The VCA input is actually driving the DAC's reference voltage. So it's effectively like running the envelope through a VCA or multiplier. Kind of a weird feature, but you can do some interesting things with it, especially since the VCA responds up to around 400kHz (vs. about 3kHz - 10kHz for the rest of the features)
lizlarsen
having built in VCA inputs on your modulators is gonna be pretty damn awesome.
4mspedals
Hey all, I made some changes and now have beta version 2 running. It'll be at NAMM. I added an inverted (1-ENV) output to each channel because more outputs were sorely needed. This is great for crossfade type effects.

Note that this is not the final production model, everything is subject to continual tweaking and nudging after beta testing and feedback from NAMM. But it'll be pretty close to this:

- Two channel animation (curve) generator uses LZX Visionary sync header
- All outputs and CV inputs are scaled to 0-1V, for compatibility with other LZX Visionary modules (trigger threshold is 0.5V)
- Each channel has two CV outputs: ENV (non-inverted, 0V to 1V) and 1-ENV (inverted, 1V to 0V)
- Each channel has two gate outputs: End-of-Rise/Hold, and End-of-Fall
- Trapezoidal waveforms (fade-in, hold, fade-out) can be obtained with the Hold jack and knob, which sets the ratio between the total fading time and holding time.
- VCA input modulates the amplitude of the ENV and 1-ENV outputs (limited video-rate)
- Link button connects Ping clock of two channels
- At output frequencies less than the frame rate clock, all outputs update only at the top of each frame. This prevents ugly "chops" in the middle of frames
- At frequencies greater than frame rate, the outputs are re-synced at the top of each frame
- Tap/ping clock can be divided/multiplied from /64 to x64

Many similar features to the PEG:
--Time length of animation curve (ping clock) is set by tap-tempo or external ping clock
--Curve selection is linear, exponential, or log, or any combination, including blends (e.g. 25% log, 75% linear).
--Skew sets the ratio of rise (fade-in) and fall (fade-out) times
--CV inputs for all parameters (Div/Mult, Skew, Curve, Hold)
--Trigger input for each channel
--Cycle mode button for each channel

[/list]
toppobrillo
NOICe. sign me up!!!!!!!!
lizlarsen
Yes!!!!!
barto
i am now convinced i need this in addition to my peg applause
Matos
Looks amazing, with a nice nod to the lzx aesthetic while still keeping it 4ms crispy. It's a must buy. SlayerBadger!
samn
Oh wow!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3