MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

fuck yeah! Moog Guitar: New design AND lower price?!?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author fuck yeah! Moog Guitar: New design AND lower price?!?
wetterberg
via the almighty matrix:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/08/next-step-moog-introduces-moog -guitar.html

yeaaaah!

3495 usd AND it now looks like this!
XXXEsq
Still a bit pricy if you ask me... and I'm a HUGE Moog junky and a guitar player. I would really LOVE a Moog guitar, but what WOULD make it worthwhile to me would be if they took the peizio outputs from the bridge and also drove a midi output that interfaced with the standard Roland/Axon/iGuitar interface. It would not be difficult; a six channel buffer and a small circuitboard like the RMC with a few extra switches and a knob or two. The I'd be on this like white on rice... Rockin' Banana!
jonkull
I wish I was a guitar player just so I could justify buying one of these.
Soy Sos
I'd say it's the closest thing I've seen to an evolutionary step for the guitar that really interests me. Standard acoustic and electric varieties will always be a thing of beauty for me though. I personally don't have any interest in MIDI, the string as an audio source in an amazing and complex starting point. I'd love to try one out but $$$ is the thing for me, as in I don't have it. haha
emergencyofstate
I've been a guitar player all my life and only more recently become obsessed with synths.

For some reason nothing about the moog guitar has peaked my interest though. The price is "forget about it" high..and the guitar just doesnt seem that powerful in relation to that price. I dunno. Maybe after playing with it for a little while I'd feel different.

Oh and I'm left handed, so 'aint that a bitch? I can't imagine lefties are readily available and/or the same price.
drewtoothpaste
This is really interesting, I didn't pay much attention to the last version (did it do all the sustain stuff?) I have an ebow but this looks about 100x more useful...

There's a guy called "ubertar" over on the tape op board ( http://ubertar.com/ ) who makes and sells hexaphonic pickups if you're interested in such a thing, XXXEsq... I've been thinking of picking up one for a while. I think they're about a hundred bucks.
3vcos
looks like they are still trying to recoupe the initial inverstment costs...
way too pricey for the average joe.
cool as hell though.
Do you think in another 5 years it will drop another $2k? Maybe I'll be able to afford one then. seriously, i just don't get it
dude
never played one but i have heard that getting beyond speculation and actually touching one is the only selling point. the ol 'playing is believing'.
wetterberg
sheesh, you think 3500usd is "forgettaboutit-high"?

Personally this is like the mother of all guitars... and the feel, omg, the feeeeeeel of these is just unsanitary MY ASS IS BLEEDING

@emergencyofstate you HAVE to find one of these and play it for a while! The vibe you get with the entire body resonating away like that... shit... and the phrasing you can do ith these is just so far away from traditional guitars...

To put it in perspective; when I first tried the "original" moog guitar I hadn't really played the guitar in a very long while, a couple of years at least. And I've never owned an electric guitar, played many, never owned.

I nearly cried when I played it. Through the murmur of other people chatting, and overall bad acoustics this thing just SPOKE! Not to mention the fact that it sounds insane just ACOUSTICALLY, like, with the amp turned off! woah

Anyway, I'll get off my soap-box here... I reckon the Moog Guitar is one of those things we all have an opinion about, but man, once you've tried it you'll be like we're not worthy help
plord
I did NOT need to see them release this when I'm trying to save up for a Continuum. very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
johnnymad
i don't think i'd ever want to play one of these. not because i don't think it's freaking sweet, but because i can't freaking afford it!!! it's kind of like the qmmg for me. i know the price tag isn't the same but once i heard what the qmmg could do, i HAD to have one. i almost do, now. applause
emergencyofstate
@wetterberg

like i was saying, I'm lefty. I'm not sure how many left handed models there are and where I could demo one...but I definitely will if possible.

but until i play it and experience this -best guitar ever-...

$3500 is definitely -forget it about it high-

I'm curious what your preferred guitar was before you found the moog guitar..

I play a Gretsch Chet Atkins as my main. I own a Gibson SG standard, Fender Jaguar (japanese reissue)
JohnLRice
Awesome! I will be surprized if the next thing Robert Fripp does doesn't feature one of these!
science
A friend of mine will have one of these soon... really looking forward to camping out at his place and not letting him use it thumbs up

I'll report back when I get to spend some time with it.
NV
I think the price on this guitar is certainly in the very high range, but I think it's sort of relative. This is the same price as a Les Paul Supreme, only instead of paying $3,500 for pearl, gold, "AAAA maple," and all sorts of other retarded shit, you're paying for things that actually have practical usage beyond stroking your ego. Not a fit for everyone but I can see the appeal to a guitarist looking for options.
LDT
I won´t jump on this one, but I might consider it if they get a (perhaps european, haha) designer for the third generation guitar, who can remind Moog about some Moog aesthetics. At least they went from gold to chrome on this second generation guitar and the colours are certainly better now.
The following quote is from the Moog forum, and to me those pics does a nice job explaining the problem.

eric coleridge wrote:
Here, for the sake argument, is the tasteful Gibson RD with 'active Moog electronics':

Voyager:

and here, a tele custom in walnut:

MiniMoog:

and then, the zion moog:

Not trying to be a total jerk, but this is what this guitar looks like me, and I don't get it. hmm....
felix
Wetterberg has a point on the "feel" of it when the positive excitement to the strings is enabled - it's very weird to have the entire guitar resonating like that, especially when you're not standing next to some cranked amplifier.

I REALLY enjoyed playing one at NAMM. The negative string excitement (basically dampening) is a real trip too. Much in the way the positive excitement doesn't quite sound like controlled amp feedback, the dampening doesn't sound like palm muting. The physical aspect of feeling the guitar stop resonating is very unique and fascinating.

I paid a little over $2k for my last guitar, so $3500 doesn't seem outlandish to me, given what it's capable of. I just didn't find it to be "my thing". At the same time, I found it utterly fascinating and fun to play.
suitandtieguy
JohnLRice wrote:
Awesome! I will be surprized if the next thing Robert Fripp does doesn't feature one of these!

not really his style. his use of sustain, which he used to get with physical speaker feedback, is now pretty reliant on the system in the Fernandes guitars he had custom made for him a while back.

unless Moog Music is willing to sell him a few of them at well below cost _and_ put them into Les Paul style bodies with integrated Roland GK-2A type outputs, i don't think he'll use the Moog Guitar.

now, what really gets me, is that this guitar, the Fernandes sustainer, and the electronic Sustainiac are all based on The Infinite Guitar, which Michael Brook built for himself (and Edge, for a bucketload of cash) in the early 80s before these other products were available. the Moog Guitar is the first one that actually _improves_ upon Michael's setup, and that's cool.

however, no one seems to give a shit about what Michael would do with it, and i personally think one should be _given_ to him considering everything.
plord
I paid $3,500, exactly, for my last guitar. It was hand-made, for me, to my specifications right down to the grain direction on the pickup rings; it is unique. It completely satisfies my current needs.

But it doesn't do THAT! eek!

and with all the Steve Hillage I've been listening to lately...THAT seems like a completely killer thing to have a guitar do. I cannot get sustain like that without punishing amounts of gain. Squeaky clean sustain to send through POG->Mutron->Murf->Memory Lane? Fuck me with harpoons. WANT.
Kent
<----- Mr. Rain on Parade Soapbox

I played Paul Vo Signature # 5 over the course of 3 days. I do believe that I wrote about it here on MW contemporaneously.

I never quite warmed up to this particular guitar. The aesthetic were hard to ignore, the control panel was too busy & the construction/finishing/feel felt very dead to ME. I kept trying the unit out & tried to like it. I ran it through Moogerfoogers, used the in-built filter w/pedal, went just straight up direct into a toooob amp, etc. No dice.
Also, any guitar that is higher than $3k should be fitted with the Buzz Feiten Tuning System as stock.

If we don't take reality into account (i.e. Money!) then, yeah, get one and have some fun. However, I find that my very personalized Strat w/ Roland VG-99/FC-300 & my combo amp get me where I wish to go and are much more inspiring... AND the total cost was about the same as the Moog Guitar.

These are my feelings & observations.

/ Soapbox
LDT
BTW, has anybody found some music (not product demo nor I-just-unpacked-this-guitar videos) made with it?
Kent
That would require a lot of people actually owning one! lol

Considering that the newer & cheaper unit just hit the market, I doubt that the proletariat has flocked to the instrument just yet.
plord
Kent wrote:
Also, any guitar that is higher than $3k should be fitted with the Buzz Feiten Tuning System as stock.

Oooh, I dunno, that depends entirely on how you set up the guitar and how you play. If you're pushing or pulling(*) the strings around to get closer to just or to get at the blue notes, or if you use heavy vibrato, or play slide, the BF will wreck all your hard work.

(*) Trick I learned from Steve Kimock, who points out that with a wound string, it's relatively easy to pull down towards the bridge to flatten a note a hair; this let's you pull, say, the 2nd degree of a scale down 22 cents to harmonize with the just major 3rd of a 4 chord. *Every* slide player hits this note naturally, so do blues singers. It's hard on the hands. More normally, the "blue minor third" (7th partial of the subdominant) is 33 cents flat to the third fret. Probably too far to pull down, so you'd bend the 2nd UP to get that one.

Here's Kimock's view on the BFS:
Quote:
Just to clarify what the BFTS doesn't do for certain playing styles and set ups, here's my problem with it. My normal set-up is on the heavy gauge/higher action side of the spectrum. [Ed Note: he's not kidding, his go-to guitar for the better part of a decade was a '60 strat strung .64 - .016 low to high!] I've found that with the lower action and the normal intonation, with the high register in decent tune, you can't use much english on the high melody stuff. You're instantly sharp, and the technical demands of bending strings flat are more trouble than they're worth if everything is sharp.

As you raise the action, the top of the neck begins to play a little flat, and if you set it up right, a good strong attack and a healthy vibrato brings the note up to pitch. That's what I'm looking for, a guitar that allows me to play it in tune when I'm beating the crap out of it. That means the intonation at the top of the neck needs to be a little flat.

So for my style of playing, those couple of cents closer to 12TET at the top of the neck are a huge obstacle to playing in tune; it's always easier to bend a plain string up than down, and having your vibrato +/- to the pitch always sounds better than everything being sharp.

What little exposure I've had to the BF and Earvana and other compensated nut systems convinced me that he's onto something here, some of the bluesy stuff goes away. YMMV. For a shredder or a guy playing mostly below the 5th fret, the BFS may be perfect. But Steve poisened that well for me, and I didn't like the sound of it.
Kent
Ah, well... for me it is all about chordal work and being in tune. I use a LOT of chords with open strings in them & I'd imagine that a metric fuck-tonne of people that buy/use the Moog Geetar-Fiddle would do the same due to the nature of the beast.

On my Buzz Feiten Equipped Strat an 'A' chord like so:

LOW 6th string: "D" @ 10th fret
5th string: "Open A"
4th string: C# @ 11th fret
3rd: "E" @ 9th fret
2nd: "A" @ 10th fret
HIGH 1st: "E" @ 12th fret

will be in tune with an "A" anywhere else on the neck. An open tradtional "A", the standard 5th fret barre chord but with the open "A" on the 5th string & the same open traditional "A" at the 14th fret (with the 5th string's "A" being unfretted) are all in tune with each other. The same holds true for other keys 'n' chords and it is especially nice since variations of C#, D, E, F# & G are all in tune with each other.

Other points of note:

It's not my only guitar
    One of my other guitars is a brass-saddled 3-screw Teleâ„¢. The King of Non-Intonation.
    I don't play 'Blues'
    I sure as fuck don't use .64 - .016 strings as I've the upper-body strength of an 11 year old girl... in a tutu. I kinda like my wrists how they are: destroyed by a computer's keyboard and not a guitar.
    I don't play slide

So, if I were to set-up my guitars in the exact same manner as Mr. Kimock then I'd have something to follow here. Also, my comment explicitly pertains to guitars of said selling price and what my personal qualifications of 'value' to be. I do agree with your 1st sentence and that is key here; it depends entirely on how you set up the guitar and how you play.

My phrasing comes off as overly defensive and perhaps combative. Don't take it that way as I really enjoy these types of discussions. I'll attribute it to having just woken up from a nice hangover-nap... and the fact that I'm picking up some new tricks from Mr. 2012 about how to make myself welcome in polite society.

-----------------------
Supporting quotes: "This is how every guitar should be once it ships from the factory." - My buddy Scott (after playing said Strat once Charlie Chandler had tuned 'er up and installed the BFT System).

"Fuck! That's kinda expensive." - Me when first discussing the idea with Charlie

"It's like a compressor for intonation." - Me when discussing the difference with a friend over the phone.

"That had better not be another fucking guitar!" - My wife upon seeing me return from a business trip with a guitar case in hand when I had left with none.

"Arrrrg... please relax your grip a little bit if you still want children... it's not actually 'another' new guitar, sweet-ums..." - My Balls
wetterberg
I think where the Moog Guitar faulters is actually in that we keep comparing it to, you know, guitars.
A Moog Voyager "Select Series" is 3495 MSRP... just sayin'.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2