MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTM-600
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author MOTM-600
ach_gott
Let's chat... MOTM uSeq spec

This was the module that sold me on Synth Tech all those years ago...

Edit: Forgot to finish reviewing the spec... asked an irrelevant question that I've removed.

In any event, want want want. The only thing I wish this had is a REMOTE way to start sequence recording AND a way to enter the sequence via CV in + Clock pulse.
paults
a) when you say 'remote', you mean like a foot switch?

b) Entering notes in via CV/Gate is more cost and makes the SW a bit complicated. No standard voltage for middle C, so then how do you display note data? You would have to have some sort of 'learn mode' and then quantize it.
ach_gott
a.) Yes, even via MIDI (though CV would be faboo), so that, for example, I could take the output of a MIDI sequencer and cause the note data to flow into the sequencer during a song.

b.) I believe it. The more I considered the request, the more I realized I was asking for a mashup of the Modcan CV recorder and the 600 (with the CV Recorder *before* the 600's functionality) and how complicated that would be. I would think that for most purposes, the 600 + CVR would be deadly if the 600 could output a pulse at End-of-Sequence (assuming I were to use the unit monophonically).

If there was the ability to (A.), one could use the Moon Modular CV to MIDI to do (b.). nanners
paults
Having MIDI messages to control functions is free and easy. So that should not be a problem.

I'm sure in retrospect there are things/improvements but I have over $6000 of parts sitting here and so I'm going to use them Rockin' Banana!
ach_gott
Actually, if I think about it, there isn't any reason I couldn't jury rig an EOS using CV or GATE2 if the thing is being used monophonically. And if I'm doing that much on the fly, I'm likely only to be shifting one or two at a time. And I'll certainly own more than one.

The nice thing about duplicating the buttons in MIDI functionality, apart from being able to do some bona improvisation is that it frees the musician up from having to be right next to the instrument in the composition phase.

I'm absolutely thrilled to know that this will be happening. w00t
JohnLRice
ach_gott wrote:

I'm absolutely thrilled to know that this will be happening. w00t

Me too! screaming goo yo
will this thing be finaly soon available?
paults
Not "soon", talking sometime next year.
paults wrote:

ok,good news anyway! thumbs up
synthetic
That is considered "soon" in MOTM terms.

wink
paults
HAHAHA! screaming goo yo
JohnLRice
I STILL VERY MUCH WANTZ THE MOTM-600 uSEQUENCER! PLEASE? K? THANKS!

cry hyper seriously, i just don't get it hyper cry

sduck
paults wrote:

That was in 2009. This isn't going to happen, folks. Move along.
JohnLRice
sduck wrote:
paults wrote:

NO! Giving up on this is NOT an option! angry Paul can either make the motm-600 or be harassed occasionally by me about it for the rest of his days . . and maybe I'll even poke him about it in his grave! zombie
Henfield
JohnLRice wrote:
sduck wrote:
paults wrote:

NO! Giving up on this is NOT an option! angry Paul can either make the motm-600 or be harassed occasionally by me about it for the rest of his days . . and maybe I'll even poke him about it in his grave! zombie

That means that Paul would actually have to make an actual new module in MOTM format, a format that he created, and has now forgotten about! Where are the kick starter funding projects that he talked about for MOTM and MU format modules of his Euro modules?
JohnLRice
Henfield wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
sduck wrote:
paults wrote:

That means that Paul would actually have to make an actual new module in MOTM format, a format that he created, and has now forgotten about! Where are the kick starter funding projects that he talked about for MOTM and MU format modules of his Euro modules?
Nothing else matters but the glorious MOTM-600. It MUST be built and I MUST have one. If he builds it, I will cum. Drunken Homer Simpson
paults
Well, I still have all the hardware: panels, custom knobs, the Grayhill optical encoders, even the LED displays and bezels. All of those fancy switches (I even have pc boards for the switches).

The original one (there were 2 made) used a pair of 8-bit PIC processors and a now defunct Maxim LED display driver (although I have enough I think to build them). The main sequencing processor just ran out of gas.

Now CPU power is a non-issue: I have a 32-bit ARM processor running 55MHz in a ***LFO*** (E355).

So it's a matter of redesigning the main board (with the CPU, display drivers and the Encoder) as the Switch board is already done and working fine.

Of course, I can't really add features that are not representative on the panel. But the functions are all defined, so maybe I can get Eric to revisit the code. It's no more complicated that the USB MIDI-to CV converter wer are doing right now.

Another advance is high-frequency switchers: TI has a new part that runs over 2MHz (250Khz used to be 'high'), uses a teeny tiny 2.2uH inductor and can put out 7W at 94% efficiency. So, no need for the +5V rail. Besides, all the CPUs are now 3.3V and even running a 'slow' PIC24FJ at 16MIPs only needs like 20ma (the 2 PICs on there now run 10MIPS and take like 90ma).

It's not that I don't want to: it's just time. The cost is fairly small, the parts I have to buy to actually make it are less than $1000. I have like 56 front panels I think (they are in off-site storage along with all the other parts).

The design is also pretty 'easy', certainly I can up the 12-bit DACs to 16-bit.

For folks that don't know the 'backstory': I went through a lot of tough family/job-related issues starting in late 2006. I'm just now seeing the light at then end of the tunnel (after having 5 jobs in this span and having to move 3 times) as my son approaches his final year at college (trying to get him through with no loans). Euro is how I have been able to stay afloat. My MOTM customer base, was loyal but "everyone had everything" and it was a tough call, trust me. I lost over $20,000 just in inventory write-downs.

What has happened since is MU has slowly but steadily driven the 5U side, so looking past MOTM (sorry, remember, you guys already have everything!) there *may* be a market for dual MU/MOTM stuff (no DIY, sorry). Again, I have to get myself back to where I was in 2006 when the wheels started coming off (I am still over $100K behind from then, mostly due to moving so much). The good news is my Euro backlog is strong, and with the E370 I think I can finally get back to 'break-even' in my 2006 bank account.

Kickstarter is looking like the best option: some guy just raised $168K for an ICE CREAM SCOOP.

So don't count me out just yet.
JohnLRice
paults wrote:
Kickstarter is looking like the best option: some guy just raised $168K for an ICE CREAM SCOOP.

Good idea! Just add that feature and you'll be fully financed! hyper

paults
Here is what I will try first.

a) will make a web page for the project. Will work on it tomorrow, will post link when done.

b) Person with the prototype will send it to me. I don't have the CAD files for it, but not really needed at this point (it was the last board I did on the all-DOS system anyway). He says it "mostly works", there are over 40 jumper wires epoxied on it so 10 years later not bad.

c) I just did a quick check of the parts I have and I have plenty for both potential runs.

RUN #1: 8 units which are hand-built beta units but not free

This is like Kickstarter: these first 8 units are to test the waters. I only plan to break even or lose just a small amount. The goal is to pay for the parts I bought in 2003. If I can't get 8 people to commit, then project is still inactive.

The first 8 will be $50 off the Run #2 price, if there IS a Run #2. This cost will be $450. It will be $250 up front at $200 when shipped. If for some reason I fail to deliver, I will refund $275 per person. So you can make money even if epic fail.

Time frame for Run #1: design will start around Thanksgiving. I expect the first 8 to ship in April 2015.

Once the bugs are worked out of these 8, I will then do a 'real' Kickstarter for the rest (around 42). These will be $500 + shipping.

Debugging: this will use the standard Microchip ICSP 6-pin header. If you want to load in firmware updates, you need a PICKit 3 which is $48. Or I will loan you mine if you are in US. I will mail it to you, it takes 20 seconds to update and you can mail it back.

This is just a 'heads up', but if you are serious about being in the first 8 PM me or email to syntht@yahoo.com

The manual for it is on line and quite detailed. the link is:
www.synthtech.com/m600_spec.pdf

BTW: until I get the 8 people, no one will need to send in any money. No 8 people, no project!

And yes: if all I get is 8, then I WILL build 8 and these will be instant vintage smile
sduck
I'm in.
JohnLRice
hmmm..... . . . . . I'm not sure if I'm interested . . . . . meh

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

w00t screaming goo yo Email sent! screaming goo yo w00t
paults
2 down, 6 to go. It's peanut butter jelly time!

BTW: need 8 folks by Nov 15th. So 4 weeks to decide.
JohnLRice
HEY! Some overzealous fan-boy already put it into ModularGrid! meh hyper Mr. Green

http://www.modulargrid.net/m/synthesis-technology-motm-600

ach_gott
Email sent. thumbs up
paults
The MOTM-600 uSeq Project Page info is here:

http://www.synthtech.com/m600_project.html

As of today, I need only 3 more people!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3