MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Erthenvar 3.5mm Vertical Mount Jacks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Erthenvar 3.5mm Vertical Mount Jacks
jnlkrt
hi all,

is there any way to obtain lower quantities of these jacks, maybe even in europe? need about 40pc.

if anyone knows a source or wants to sell me these, please let me know.

cheers!
NV
Monobass stocks them at his Thonk store in the UK. They aren't up on his page yet but I know he has them available.
fonik
and he has the new beryllium ones. thumbs up
hpsounds
NV wrote:
Monobass stocks them at his Thonk store in the UK. They aren't up on his page yet but I know he has them available.

Just PM'ed Monobass. He is sending mine tomorrow ! hyper

Hédi K.
jnlkrt
NV wrote:

thanks, will drop him a mail! thumbs up
fonik
it is great that we now have a source for DIY in europe. all the eurorack front panel components PCBs i make for the thomas henry projects (Controller LFO, 555-VCO, CMOS ADSR, and VCA/Crossfader) will use these...
Monobass
Yes I bagged up 5000 today!

They are available in bags of 50 here:

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pj301bm-3-5mm-jack-sockets-x50/
hpsounds
fonik wrote:
it is great that we now have a source for DIY in europe. all the eurorack front panel components PCBs i make for the thomas henry projects (Controller LFO, 555-VCO, CMOS ADSR, and VCA/Crossfader) will use these...

How lucky I am ! hyper a bag of 100 pcs is on my way ... Boat

Hédi K.
akrylik
fonik wrote:

What is this about beryllium? Does this fix the switching issue?
synthpl
Erthenvar has solved the switch issue.

http://erthenvar.com/store/jack35mmv

Pls refer to his web.
Monobass
akrylik wrote:
fonik wrote:

What is this about beryllium? Does this fix the switching issue?

Yes there has been a real effort behind the scenes on this issue led by the Mostly Modular Trade Association - http://www.mostlymodular.com/about-us.php

Several well known Euro manufacturers who are part of the MMTA have been lobbying the manufacturer to solve this issue and they have reacted really well.

Previously these jacks were showing an average of 10% failure rates on the switch due to poor quality switch material. 4ms had to de-solder 300 of them! This new design has beryllium copper switches (a good spring material basically) and also has solder ring/tabs on the sleeve and tip connectors, much better for DIY.

I broke a patch cable doing 20 minutes of destructive testing on this new batch! The switch on the jack is still absolutely fine though thumbs up

You can expect to see more stuff like this from the MMTA in the future thumbs up The factory got some large orders and we now have a vertical jack which is reliable. Win-Win-Win. (Factory, Euro manufacturers, DIYers)
mOBiTh
I have loads of the shit ones to desolder too sad banana
Monobass
The problems with the older jacks do only tend to rear their head in switching applications. There are plenty of manufacturers successfully using them in non-switching applications.

It's still a good product that Flight of Harmony originally introduced to the market, way back when. I think now it has the potential to be great.
fonik
just for the record:
fonitronik uses this kind of switches for the mh01 attenuverting mixer, where 8 of 9 jacks use the switching contact. i never had any issue, since i bought from another manufacturer than erthenvar...
synthpl
Really good news! We can trust this jack again thumbs up
Monobass
I have these for sale from my website now

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pj301bm-3-5mm-jack-sockets-x50/
Monobass
oops, I just fixed a bug with european shipping on these. Please check again, it's probably half the price now.
techstar
I just ordered one hundred of these from Thonk for some nice DIY projects. Always great service.

thumbs up
techstar
What size holes do these fit for when designing panels? Would a 6mm hole do the job?
Monobass
Yes basically 6mm, if I'm drilling myself I find using a 6mm drill will often take me to something more like 6.1mm... If I'm having a large batch of panels laser cut or milled then I'll specify 6.1mm to reduce risk and decrease paranoia. Any panels you already have with '6mm' holes will be fine, Clarkes panels etc.
mOBiTh
is 6mm a bit tight?
Monobass
No, to be clear, 6mm is still fine. The 6.1mm thing is just something I do when I'm ordering 100 panels out of slight paranoia. If your panels already have 6mm holes they'll be fine.
fonik
i use 6.5mm.
more comfortable marriage of PCB and front panel.
mOBiTh
makes sense 8_)
daverj
I specify 6.0mm holes in panels and have never had a problem fitting a connector in. They're snug, but fit fine.
fonik
daverj wrote:
I specify 6.0mm holes in panels and have never had a problem fitting a connector in. They're snug, but fit fine.

depends on the assembly service, i guess. sometimes a jack has been soldered in slightly off. i don't have time or the patience to do rework on this. it is easier to have some more tolerances.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 2