MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Neptune Towers (Space synth project of Fenris of Darkthrone)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Neptune Towers (Space synth project of Fenris of Darkthrone)
dumaisaudio
Anyone here heard this project before? It's two albums of space ambient music. I got these albums 15 years ago when I was really into black metal and while I always thought they were cool, I'm now finally appreciating them fully. I think many might dismiss it because it's done by a black metal guy, but I think it stands up to the work of strictly electronic artists. The liner notes definitely come from that early Norway black metal scene mindset, "No Takeoff, No Life", and my favorite, "Neptune Towers supports the extinction of all organic lifeforms".

Just wondering if anyone here had ever heard this stuff and if they can recommend anything similar sounding. These albums are pretty obscure, but in looking it up before posting, I found that Peaceville UK just reissued both albums a few months ago with redone artwork and some unreleased tracks on the second album, so now they're back in print and affordable. I'm gonna pick them both up just to support it.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Neptune+Towers
solitaryzen
I've got the first one... must dig it out and have another listen.
premieklovn
Thanks, I didn't know about this project.
I'll try to ask him about what equipment he's been using next time I see him at work. Rawk!
dumaisaudio
premieklovn wrote:
I'll try to ask him about what equipment he's been using next time I see him at work. Rawk!

That would be awesome! I'd be very interested in what equipment he used. Since this was mid 90's, I'm assuming there's an interesting mix of stuff there.
m0rb1d
premieklovn wrote:

hell yeah this would be fascinating to know!
I really really enjoyed the first album especially but I haven't listened to it since I've gotten more interested in synths.
DanielW
I love it that these Norwegian Black Metal people were so broad minded when it comes to music. Wether it's Varg, Fenriz or Mayhem, they've all expressed an interest for experimental stuff. I remember far too many Swedish death metal heads who only liked metal (and hardly knew about even, say, Black Sabbath...)

RUMPLEDFORESKIN
Time to revive this old thread. I first heard this project around 2000, or so, when I was a wee black metal heathen. I loved the albums, but it would be another eight years or so before I put down the guitar and started messing with synths.

I just rediscovered these albums a month or so ago, and I’m really interested in what gear Fenriz was using on them, as well as the instrumental tracks on the Isengard album. It definitely sounds a bit more advanced than the romplers being used by Satyr, Varg, Garm, Mortiis, and others from that scene that delved into ambient music.

Hails \m/
GrantB
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8191

Ensoniq and Casio according to that. I'm definitely hearing some stuff that sounds like it was put through an amp with spring reverb.
crawling wind
This is the first I have heard of this. I'm curious.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1