MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Interview
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Buchla Interview
wetterberg
it's kinda funny when you think about how many of us synth-geeks would fucking LOVE to be in the situation to interview Don B, right?
DGTom
this is my point exactally wetterberg! each academy has 100 people selected from god knows how many applications & they can't find 1 person that actually knows enough to fake it thru what is really a hosting gig!

D. Buchla has been doing his thing & speaking / telling people about it for how long? you don't need a journo of Hunter S. proportions or anything.... just someone who is not going to ask long winded non-questions!

I'm not going to knock RBMA & I don't think commercial patronage of the arts is a bad thing in itself (only if it produces bad art) but the erm, caliber of the hosts (they aren't all as bad as that still) leaves me wondering about the selection criteria at RBMA..
Reptil
I did do a lot of interviews professionally (in another lifetime)
and this guy is indeed a music journalist, he tries to get to the crux of the issue, granted, but keeps missing the important questions, at one point you have to just let go of your list of questions, talking to an obvious genius, like Don is (I mean talking rebel hippy technology awesomenesss!!) and just dive in. But this guy just tries to remain "interesting" and "cool" as if it were a personality contest.
Don obviously sees this, he could've taken the piss out of him, but he didn't and continued to tell very cool stuff.
I enjoyed it, it's not often you get to see a Da Vinci or Archimedes in your own lifetime. thanks for posting!

It's peanut butter jelly time!
ex_dead_teenager
Reptil wrote:
I did do a lot of interviews professionally (in another lifetime)
and this guy is indeed a music journalist, he tries to get to the crux of the issue, granted, but keeps missing the important questions, at one point you have to just let go of your list of questions, talking to an obvious genius, like Don is (I mean talking rebel hippy technology awesomenesss!!) and just dive in. But this guy just tries to remain "interesting" and "cool" as if it were a personality contest.
Don obviously sees this, he could've taken the piss out of him, but he didn't and continued to tell very cool stuff.
I enjoyed it, it's not often you get to see a Da Vinci or Archimedes in your own lifetime. thanks for posting!

It's peanut butter jelly time!

fair enough. I don't know much about music journalism anyway I'm a news blogger but my focus is political and though my family has journalism in it it's more of the Canadian Press/Associated Press, straight reportage variety.

Perhaps I'm taking my expectations of what makes a good interview and transposing them onto a totally different field therefore making them unrealistic.

Granted this interviewer is as you say trying to be "interesting" and "cool" and trying too hard to do so. I think perhaps f he'd been able to lose himself in the interview following his questions but not so rigidly that he was incapable of allowing his subject the room to move and tell more of the story his own way.

Whenever I watch Amy Goodman or Kieth Olberman conduct a sit down interview they do it in a way which doesn't feel torturous, I never did end up watching the whole interview but this guy seemed so wrapped up in being image conscious and also so tied to the questions he'd gone in to ask that he forgot that he was interviewing someone with a really unique story and more to tell than the answers to his pre-determined question sheet.

I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to reportage I expect more from an interview than what I saw.

Still Don's got a lot of patience to give the interview that he did I hope someone other than this interviewer thanked him for his time.

also thanks again for posting the link here I'll try a third time to sit through it maybe I'll warm up to this guy or be able to get past my own journalistic prejudices enough to enjoy it for what it is. Now that I know reasonably what to expect I don't imagine that will be too difficult.

I guess when you make journalism such a large part of your life and when you have a father who literally wrote the book on Canadian journalism you get spoiled that way.

http://www.amazon.ca/Reporting-Writing-Canadian-Journalists-Rooney/dp/ 0130225312/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251062274&sr=8-1
Reptil
hey that's cool (about your dad)
well, we agree, mostly, however he (Don Buchla) did tell a lot of stuff, so I don't get too hung up about it.
interviewing, that also goes to say preperation is everything (know exactly everything there is to know) and then think long and hard for key questions that would allow, as you've said correctly, "the room to move". What would you ask?

Mr. Green

edit: some things Rasta-nana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2