MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3 Module Starter System
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author 3 Module Starter System

MrTea

I'm thinking about starting a small Wiard 300 series system. It would primarily be for drones/textures/scapes/noise, but I'd probably use it for monosynth basses and blippy analogueish stuff too.

I'd be interested to know what people's opinions on what a solid three module starter system would be. I'm fairly certain I'll only be able to afford three modules to begin with, but would ultimately want to build up to a system of six over a period of time.

I'm pretty much set on a Waveform City, and probably the Borgs, but would like to know what would compliment those two best - mixolator, envelators or the woggle. Also if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be mroe than welcome to hear them. The only thing to mention is that I don't think I'd need the sequentizer at the moment as I'm doing most of my sequencing via MIDI.

Thoughts and ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance!

plord

The WFC and Borg 1 filters make an astonishing drone/texture/atmosphere setup all by themselves.

From there it really depends on what your end goal is. The Wogglebug will give you the most outputs, including a steady square out LFO that you can use to ping the Borgs for rhythmic stuff, plus 12 other outputs of a staggering variety. All 12 can be audio rate if you like and careful, heavily attenuated application of them will make your drones talk. The downside is that other than some general sweet spots it is not always predictable or obvious what the WV is going to give you.

The Envelator will help with the basses and monosynth things. Without it you will only have the AR env on the WFC to play with and no way to create an ADSR. The Envelator also of course does all the usual "dual slope" style function generation tricks; it can be controlled and directed in a way that the WB is just immune to. So if you approach your drones and such with a plan in mind, the Envelator might help you get there more than the WB. If you like to patch, tweak, and stop when it sounds good, the WB has more to offer I think.

While I love the Mixolator for the extremely fine specification of its basic functions, it would essentially never make my First Three list unless I had the mother of all hard-ons for Ring Mod.

slow_riot

It's really hard to say, as for me they're all essential modules, and they really come alive interpatched, but they are function dense and you could get a useable music box from any single module really.

Anyways, just 3 modules for what you've mentioned, I would add the Woggle Bug to the 3. You would have a very useable and function dense little system.

Mixolator would give you balanced modulation and mixing, but my favourite use is as a very feature packed CV switch/panner etc etc. (Borg LFOs plus Wogglebug CVs plus Mixolator is now the percussion voice of my dreams). Really fantastic with Sequantizers as well. However it might not be essential in a smaller system.

Envelator is also fantastic, but I would sacrifice it at this point and use one of the LFOs on the Borg and the AR on the WFC.

For me the Wiard Oscillators are simply fantastic FMed, and I would want to do that with something, perhaps one of the VCOs on the Borg (although they are a little chaotic with tracking depending on settings of the filter and there can be a little bleedthrough into the filter)

I don't know if the WFC is still in production, so you might want to put a feeler out for one second hand if you're really set on it. I wouldn't let that put you off building a system though, Wiard seems to have a habit of finding it's way into the rightful hands sooner or later smile .

I would recommend bantam jacks as well. Really worthwhile addition to the system IMO.

laserpalace

I started with a Woggle bug, Waveform City, and Borg combination. You can really cover a lot of ground with just those three. Each module has numerous functions outside of their "intended" modes. I don't think you can go wrong with snagging those three initially, especially if you are after texture/drones/noise.

As mentioned the Waveform City might be hard to acquire but I think it's essential for the format. Although lately I've been using the analog section of the module and working with the FM features. It's incredible as previously mentioned. There's so much versatility in the format, you really can't go wrong with any of the modules.

Good luck!

Ekofisk

[quote="slow_riot"
I would recommend bantam jacks as well. Really worthwhile addition to the system IMO.[/quote]

Sorry to steer this OT, but: Did you get this done? I am still contemplating it.

Back on track: I think the WFC, Borgs and Woggblebug would be the best three module selection. But I would certainly try to stretch to a couple of modules more (Envelators and mixolator?). More really is exponentially more in 300-land.

I just love the using the WFC as an audio generator while operating at lfo speeds. Such a nice variety of wavetable'd clicks, pops and blips.

MrTea

Ekofisk wrote:
But I would certainly try to stretch to a couple of modules more (Envelators and mixolator?). More really is exponentially more in 300-land.

I certainly plan to add those as soon as funds are available.

slow_riot wrote:

I don't know if the WFC is still in production, so you might want to put a feeler out for one second hand if you're really set on it.

Really? It says built to order on the Wiard site. I'm going to speak to Cary later today, so I guess I'll find out then.

plord wrote:

From there it really depends on what your end goal is. The Wogglebug will give you the most outputs, including a steady square out LFO that you can use to ping the Borgs for rhythmic stuff, plus 12 other outputs of a staggering variety. All 12 can be audio rate if you like and careful, heavily attenuated application of them will make your drones talk. The downside is that other than some general sweet spots it is not always predictable or obvious what the WV is going to give you.

That sounds great, I actually have a euro wogglebug at the moment and I love, I'm beginning to wonder what the possibilities would be with a dual, especially with their extra features.

I suppose what I 'm wondering is without the mixolator gelling things together, will I be able make the most of the modules i have, from a mixing perspective. I mean I love ring mod but it's not a deal breaker, But I do like a decent amount of control over what's coming out of my system.

Monosynth stuff is more of a bonus really, I don't do a huge amount of it, but it's nice to have access some interesting analogue basses when I feel like making music that requires it. I'm fairly sure I could make do with an AR envelope for a few months until I have the cash for the envelator. I can always sample.

PhineasFreak

i've been lusting after some wiard for months and months now and am nearly at the point of committing to the sale of other gear for a bit of a change - tho this would mean i could only afford 3 modules to start with, so this thread is of particular interest to me.

What are you planning to use as a sequencing source MrTea? also, i notice you're in bristol, so pretty close to wiard's new home, right? are you planning on playing with some in real life before buying or have you already had the fortune to try someone else's system as a taster?

Norman_Phay

I would get the envelator to go w the 2 items already mentioned. As well as being usable as 2 x AR/AR/Cycle "function generators" it also has a 2-into-1 VC crossfader which can be used to mix signals together. If you get the envelator, GR used to offer a mod where the attack pots had pull-switches which extended the times a lot, if Cary does this mod it's well worth having.

I would also consider factoring in a rack of Blacet gear at some point in the future. Several Blacet modules complement the Wiard 300 system very nicely, notably the EG-1 VCADSR, the mixer-processor, the mixer and splitter, the DAD, the klangwerk, well most of Blacet's stuff. It works so well together with Wiard.

slow_riot

Ekofisk wrote:

Sorry to steer this OT, but: Did you get this done? I am still contemplating it.

I have 5 new modules with bantams, and am planning to have my old modules done when possible.

The bantams feel nice. They require more insertion force than minijacks, so sometimes for really quick patching, and patching where you change your mind after exactly half a second, minjacks are a bit nicer. For really dense patching where every jack is patched the extra thickness of the cables makes it a little more difficult to access things.

But those things are marginal. Bantam is a much better connector, and the Re'an moulded cables are fantastic as well as cheap. Balanced connections are a really big improvement.

Really happy with them.

MrTea

PhineasFreak wrote:
i've been lusting after some wiard for months and months now and am nearly at the point of committing to the sale of other gear for a bit of a change - tho this would mean i could only afford 3 modules to start with, so this thread is of particular interest to me.

What are you planning to use as a sequencing source MrTea? also, i notice you're in bristol, so pretty close to wiard's new home, right? are you planning on playing with some in real life before buying or have you already had the fortune to try someone else's system as a taster?

This is exactly my situation and how I'm feeling. I started lusting after Wiard when I bought some of the Malekko stuff. I can't contain it anymore and now that Wiard HQ is literally an hour down the road, it seems like a no brainer. I hope to speak to Cary today to enquire about trying some stuff out, along with some general system advice etc.

I'll do all my sequencing from Logic via MIDI to CV, I'd like to get numerology at some point but for now I'll just use logic and build myself a step sequencer within the environment. I'll keep a small doepfer minicase with the low cost MIDI to CV and perhaps the my anti-oscillator or a couple of other utilities not available within the Wiard.

MrTea

Norman_Phay wrote:
I would get the envelator to go w the 2 items already mentioned. As well as being usable as 2 x AR/AR/Cycle "function generators" it also has a 2-into-1 VC crossfader which can be used to mix signals together. If you get the envelator, GR used to offer a mod where the attack pots had pull-switches which extended the times a lot, if Cary does this mod it's well worth having.

Interesting, I didn't quite realise the Envelator had a crossfader for audio. For some reason I had it in my head that it was some kind of mix out for the two envelopes.

I suppose it's not a life changing decision as two which module to pick as my third, as I'd like to think that I'll have a fourth not too long after, but should 'life' get in the way I'd like to have as much flexibility as possible. I think my biggest concern is whether the woggle is always going to be random and chaotic or if it can be tamed and used tactfully. I have been able to achieve this to a degree within the euro but it's always seemed a little on the edge.

How does the 300 series compare to the MakeNoise version?

Norman_Phay

The VC crossfader in the envelator is prepatched to combine the 2 func generators into one CV signal, but there is a pair of sockets at the bottom of the front panel that can override these prepatched connections. It works fine for audio, actually mine gets used more for audio than for CV.

I have a W300 wogglebug, and although it's an interesting piece and worth owning in a larger system, I would (and did!) get one after you have all of the synthesis essentials.

slow_riot

The Woggle is an essential module for me, and I find it to be quite controllable.

There are some quite big differences between the make noise woggle and the 300 version. Crucially, the stepped voltage is independent from the smooth voltage. The smooth voltage is not clockable, only rate can be changed. The nature of the system is noticeably different. If you listen to the ring mod output you can hear it. With the 300 version sounding perhaps more focussed on wriggling charm with more sweet spots. Disturb replaces chaos balance which I find especially interesting in a feedback patch with the Borg LFO. The MN version can do things the 300 can't and vice versa.

carygrace

MrTea wrote:

slow_riot wrote:

I don't know if the WFC is still in production, so you might want to put a feeler out for one second hand if you're really set on it.

Really? It says built to order on the Wiard site. I'm going to speak to Cary later today, so I guess I'll find out then.

Hello all,

Just to clarify the Waveform City situation, I just sold the last one (last PCB set, last faceplate) a few days ago and had not yet updated the website to reflect that fact.

The Waveform City module is not going to be in production again for the foreseeable future, the main reason being that it would need to be re-designed from the ground up to remove obsolete and difficult to source parts. At this point, with the other wavetable-based modules that have been coming on the market, I'm undecided whether continuing to make the 300 format Waveform City would not be redundant at this point.

Of course there is always the possibility that the Waveform City could re-emerge in the future, depending on customer demand and practicality, but for the moment, I'm afraid I can't offer this module at this time.

MrTea

Oh that's a shame, the Waveform City was something that really stood out to me. Both from a design and sound perspective. Don't get me wrong, the classic VCO looks great too and ideally I'd like one of each, but I had hoped to pick a WfC initially. There's always the used market, though I get the feeling that Wiard stuff doesn't come up often.

I guess what I'm saying is, does anyone have a Waveform City they'd like to sell? hihi

numan7

hyper pm'd for wfc!!! hihi

cheers

numan7

hmmm..... I guess my 4-module mini-300 system is going to be { borgs, mixolators, envelators, wogglebugs} then... if I don think't decide that I really need 2 dual-mixolators, that is... hmmm.....

smile i personally hope the wfc is replaced by a *new 300 series module* (can you say "waveform galaxy"... or "antimatter""?) at some point, btw!

cheers

slow_riot

One option with the Waveform City, given the fact that, for me the heavenly FM characteristics of the Classic VCO make it stand out from the other wavetable oscillators available, is to get a Classic VCO, and pair it with a MiniWave or whatever euro equivalent becomes available from Malekko.

slow_riot

MrTea wrote:
There's always the used market, though I get the feeling that Wiard stuff doesn't come up often.

I've acquired 6 300 series modules, 5 1200 series modules and a New Controller from this very forum, and all at very fair prices.

MrTea

slow_riot wrote:
One option with the Waveform City, given the fact that, for me the heavenly FM characteristics of the Classic VCO make it stand out from the other wavetable oscillators available, is to get a Classic VCO, and pair it with a MiniWave or whatever euro equivalent becomes available from Malekko.

That sir,is a great idea. What I may do in the first instance is have a bit of a sell of but keep the majority of my Malekko Wiard, grab two 300 series modules and have a little think about which route to take. I'm really keen to get all the 300 series modules as quickly as I can, but I'm also keen to buy the ones that are currently in production new, in an effort to support the company as much as possible. I'm really excited by the prospect of picking up any 300 series modules, but I also want to do it sensibly and get the right balance.

slow_riot

The Malekko stuff is worth holding onto, The Oscillator is simply fantastic for low frequency, phase adjustment is brilliant. Anti Oscillator is also amazing and the Waveshaper offers something not found in W300.

It's definitely worth taking advantage of the 300 series being available beautifully built new and close to home. Especiially with the updates from Cary and the augmentation from Hinton Instruments in a high quality power supply and his own modules.

I'm in Oxford if you want to try out my systm, the only thing is that I'd rather show it at a time when I don't have it all patched up with something I want to keep. I'm sure there's a way to work around that, PM me if you like.

plord

Pity about the WFC possibly/probably going out of production. waah

One possible replacement is a pair of Synthtech E350s behind a 300 format panel. I have one mocked up and the 350s in house, plan to get to this one early in the new year. thumbs up Should be a fun module; trading off all the analog and FM wizardry of the WFC for many many more wavetables and cross-mod capability between them.

MrTea

Well after a lovely chat with with Cary (who was incredibly helpful and informative), I made my selection and have put my deposit down for two 300 series modules!

I'm absolutely stoked!! It's peanut butter jelly time!

plord

Welcome to the club!

wavehead

I don't have any 300 series (hope to sometime sooner than later), but I think it would be a mistake to get rid of the malekko stuff. Especially with no wiard graphics anymore you might regret not being able to get them that way anymore in the future (IMO they look great with the 300).

I'm assuming the megawave will be out soon now that josh is building the richter series in-house so that would be a good pairing with the Classic VCO... I wonder if it would sound any different? What are the now obsolete parts in the WFC?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3