MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EH Ring Thing vs modular ring mods.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author EH Ring Thing vs modular ring mods.
Rex Coil 7
I've been toying with the idea of picking up an Electro Harmonix Ring Thing. I have an MU system (modest .... 5vco/3vcf/3eg/ring mod/other stuff .. 28sp cab). All well and good, y'know ... ~whatever~ right?

But that Ring Thing seems like it offers a good deal of things that are easily accessed pretty quickly. Seen some vids of it, not bad. I like what I saw about using it to add a second voice to certain synth sounds.

Anyone with anything to say about it? Good or bad?

Oh yea, and can the expression pedal input accept an LFO cv (if I'm careful about watching the voltage levels)?

Thanks.
Rex Coil 7
Bumpola ...
steamroom
excellent pedal, use it both live with guitar bass or the ems, as well as in the studio with the serge, absolutely useful in all situations, cv no problem...great pedal....
Rex Coil 7
Thanks! What really kinda attacted me to it was a video of the Minibrute analog synth. It was a Sweetwater review of the synth and they were sortof apologetically using the Ring Thing to add a fifth (in the same way you'de use a 2nd VCO). Since the Minibrute only has one VCO they were using the Ring Thing like a 2nd voice. I tracked like a mad dog!

So they were kinda like all "well the minibrute only has one VCO .. but hey look here! If you spend MORE money with us you can buy this Ring Thing and add a 2nd voice to the Minibrute!". Haahaa!! It was kinda funny. Sell sell sell .. y'know?

Anyhow, it worked really well in that way and I got to looking into it and started wondering if it would work out in my rig.

Thanks for the input! smile
steamroom
you will really love it.. while it is not "trueanalog" like the mooger, i have not used the mooger more than one time since getting the ring thing. the ability to have stereo out of the higher and lower combination tones is absolutely fantastic. there a also all sorts of other amazing tricks on it, really my go to pedal. you will love it, guranteed...
Chrome Dinette
I have the Moog and used it for 10 years, but it had gotten pretty beat up.





I was thinking about getting another Moog in case mine failed, but I bought a Ring Thing and I really like it. Having presets is great. The Moog sounds slightly better to my ear, but not that noticeable playing guitar through it into a distorted amp.
Rex Coil 7
I have a Line 6 M13, and an M9. I also have the 5-vco modular with a Ring Mod in it as well. I'll soon have a quad LFO module too. So I've been working out some things with what I have for now .... wow is there a lot that the M-series from Line 6 is capable of. But the tone is a bit digital sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. Analog ring mods and their associated analog partners can sometimes get overdriven and clip .. which can be a good thing.

The Ring Thing looks/seems to be a great addition to a modular rig. I'm on the fence here!
Rex Coil 7
Chrome Dinette wrote:
I have the Moog and used it for 10 years, but it had gotten pretty beat up.





I was thinking about getting another Moog in case mine failed, but I bought a Ring Thing and I really like it. Having presets is great. The Moog sounds slightly better to my ear, but not that noticeable playing guitar through it into a distorted amp.
What a beater!!! HAHA!! It wouldn't take much to refurb that though.
skullservant
I love the Moog Ring Mod, but I also love the EHX Ring Thing, both for the sounds that come out of it and the almost perfect pitch shifting. I wish I never got rid of either waah
Rex Coil 7
I keep drifting back and forth on whether or not to drop $$ on one (Ring Thing).

I have the Dot Com ring mod, as well as an entire modular synth to support it. So I keep thinking that I have enough just in that. But I cannot do pitch shifting or pitch tracking like the Ring Thing with Dot Com modules, so there's that whole thing there to consider.

I've also begun to get my head wrapped around digital and midi control over analogue signal paths and CV. The Ring Thing may play into that situation better than the ~modular~ gear as well.

Ugh .... I can be pretty indecisive sometimes! Good thing I don't have a lot of money (or better credit rating) ..... I'd have a house full of shit I wouldn't use!
ryangaston
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Oh yea, and can the expression pedal input accept an LFO cv (if I'm careful about watching the voltage levels)?


First off, I used to have the Ring Thing and used it with my CP251 all the time. If I recall correctly, it only really wanted 3 volts or less, but my memory may be failing. Either way, it always played nicely and never complained when I sent too much voltage to it (basically just ignores the input at that point).

Secondly, I have owned it AND the Moog. I still have the Moog, and now really want to buy another Ring Thing anyway, for a couple of reasons:

1) Really good-sounding polyphonic pitch shifter. The tracking never failed, no matter what I threw at it.
2) Selectable carrier waveforms. This is super handy when you're in low-frequency tremolo-style patches--the Moog's internal oscillator is a triangle, so without an external LFO, you can't get really choppy square or saw tremolo.
3) If you hold down the left button, the carrier tracks your pitch AS YOU PLAY. IN REALTIME. SOOOOO COOL.
4) Stereo output. That means madness can be had by feeding the right output back into the "mod" input. That's what I did with it, anyway.
5) Thrown anywhere in a feedback loop, it can provide some really amazing animation.

Ugh, I just talked myself into buying it again.

Cheers! Guinness ftw!
Al
I just grabbed a Ring Thing. It is indeed nice. I look forward to pairing it with an 8-step sequencer.
ryangaston
Al wrote:
I just grabbed a Ring Thing. It is indeed nice. I look forward to pairing it with an 8-step sequencer.


I HAVE TWO 8-STEPS ON THE WAY
It's peanut butter jelly time!
(which I have been way too excited about in way too many threads)
Al
ryangaston wrote:
Al wrote:
I just grabbed a Ring Thing. It is indeed nice. I look forward to pairing it with an 8-step sequencer.


I HAVE TWO 8-STEPS ON THE WAY
It's peanut butter jelly time!
(which I have been way too excited about in way too many threads)


Having one 8-step modulate the other 8-step seems like a good time...
digitalganesha
The Ring Thing is incredible and very versatile. Pitch shifting is incredible, choosing the lower side band is great, and it makes my absolute favorite phase sound. The ability to tune the carrier instantly and preset storage make it a complete winner. Grab one.
moogmusic
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to sequence some pitch-shifting with my Ring Thing and Beatstep Pro - can change the pitch OK using the pitch output on the Beatstep but do you know how the input of the Ring Thing is scaled? Would like to program melody lines but for that, I need to know how setting pitches on the Beatstep will scale to the Ring Thing CV input.

All hints appreciated

Thanks

ryangaston wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Oh yea, and can the expression pedal input accept an LFO cv (if I'm careful about watching the voltage levels)?


First off, I used to have the Ring Thing and used it with my CP251 all the time. If I recall correctly, it only really wanted 3 volts or less, but my memory may be failing. Either way, it always played nicely and never complained when I sent too much voltage to it (basically just ignores the input at that point).

Secondly, I have owned it AND the Moog. I still have the Moog, and now really want to buy another Ring Thing anyway, for a couple of reasons:

1) Really good-sounding polyphonic pitch shifter. The tracking never failed, no matter what I threw at it.
2) Selectable carrier waveforms. This is super handy when you're in low-frequency tremolo-style patches--the Moog's internal oscillator is a triangle, so without an external LFO, you can't get really choppy square or saw tremolo.
3) If you hold down the left button, the carrier tracks your pitch AS YOU PLAY. IN REALTIME. SOOOOO COOL.
4) Stereo output. That means madness can be had by feeding the right output back into the "mod" input. That's what I did with it, anyway.
5) Thrown anywhere in a feedback loop, it can provide some really amazing animation.

Ugh, I just talked myself into buying it again.

Cheers! Guinness ftw!
hippo1
I have repeatedly put an EH Ring Thing in a basket... and then hesitated to pull the trigger. The fact that it's EH's new (-ish) version of pitchtracking in it is way cool; something their older pedals just can't do. But the sound... I own a Moogerfooger, and various (three!) different Euro ringmods... but nuthin can hold a candle to EH's Frequency Analyzer, to my ears. I realize everyone's ear is different; but the Freq Analyzer is THE wettest, most lush ringmod I own. It's downfall, of course, is that you can't interface with it; you can only turn knobs to track. Still, it's the one I reach for first... before trying others.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group